“Total Serenity”

Ocean View Lodge
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Fort Bragg
Califlornia
Reviewed 2 January 2006

My husband and I stayed in one of the upstairs rooms. The view and the sound of the ocean was absolutely beautiful. To be able to go out on the balcony was a plus. The fireplace and the whirlpool in the room made it all the more romantic. The room was extremely quite, couldn't hear any of the other guests. It was clean with no ordor. It was lovely to be able to walk right out in front to a walkway along the coast with lots of trails leading to the beach front. There is one thing that I thought the hotel should offer being that it is a little on the high price, they should consider providing their guests with a continental breakfast, other than that I would highly recommend staying here. We had dinner at "Silver's at The Wharf" it was good. I recommend having breakfast at "Laurel's Deli" (coffee was excellent). The food and service at both places were good. The people of Fort Bragg are very warm and friendly. Altogether I had a wonderful visit in Fort Bragg! We'll be back!!!

• Stayed: December 2005
14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 30 December 2005

The Ocean View Lodge is very nice motel. Our second floor room was spacious, clean, quiet, and had a great view of the ocean. The motel is located five minutes north of town and has access to a nice paved walking/bicycle trail. Unfortunately the historic railway bridge over Pudding Creek, which connects the trail to the town, needed repair and was closed to the public on our visit. The trail, however, leads several miles to the north along the top of the coastal bluff and through some very pretty state park land (once you pass a large and unattractive commercial corporation yard).

The building's pink pastel stucco exterior is out of place in scenic Mendocino County and there is minimal landscaping...and no exterior amenities. Our room could have used a couple of extra towels, expecially near the vanity sink. A DVD player would have been nice, as would an upgrade to the $4.00 radio that was in our room. The quiet in-room jacuzzi bath was clean and set back from the windows for privacy.

• Stayed: December 2005
4  Thank TahoeFamily
Reviewed 6 September 2005

My mom and I recently returned from a trip around CA and we spent three days at the Ocean View Lodge.

First, the views and the beach access is probably the best in Fort Bragg. If you want a nice and peaceful beach, this is it. Compared to the other condos/resorts that are located next to the Ocean View Lodge, this is the best.

The location is great. You are so close to Mendocino and can easily drive to Napa and Sonoma or to San Francisco. We made it back to San Francisco in about 4 hours.

The front desk is really nice. They had great recommendations for food. They were wonderful with directions and they were very helpful when I had documents to fax and to receive by fax.

Where to eat: My mom and I really enjoyed Sharon's By the Sea. It is small and cozy and have amazing sea food! For breakfast, you must go into Fort Bragg's main street area and try EggsHead Restaurant. It was the best breakfast I think my mom and I have ever had!

We would definitely recommend this hotel. Our room was on the top floor and we could see the beach from almost anywhere in the room. The fireplace is great; open your back door at night and leave it on! The rooms are beautiful. Overall, a great stay!

• Stayed: August 2005
19  Thank Florida.Girl.2006
Reviewed 11 August 2005

Highly reccommended for any weary traveler who wants comfort, space, and a great view. Walk to the beach from your room, and you will enjoy the balcony. Cozy bed, and we experienced friendly service. My only caveat is that they need night-lights in the room in order to get to the restroom safely in the middle of the night without stumbling.

• Stayed: August 2005
11  Thank DolphinChaser
Roseville, CA
Reviewed 18 July 2005

This is a great hotel in Fort Bragg, but it's a little pricey for what you get. There are no extras like continental breakfast, vending machines, internet access, etc. But the view is AWESOME! Spectacular sunsets await! You are just steps away from the beach. Bring your bike because the Old Haul road (no cars allowed) separates the hotel from the bluffs, and goes for miles along the coastline. You'll have no problem finding a secluded beach spot for you and your sweetie. I recommend the room with the whirlpool, it's a little more, but you'll be happy you have it.

• Stayed: July 2005
17  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 January 2005

We were treated well, and loved the downstairs room we got for $99 per night. It is over sized because it has a little sitting room when you first enter, and then you step up to the bed area. Loved the FULL ocean view, and the little balcony. The room is comfortable and clean, and we never heard anyone else through the walls. I loved the quiet. I've been in more luxurious places, but not for that price. We were told up front about their "no children" policy for upstairs Jacuzi rooms. It has to do with liability, and I can understand totally. It isn't about not liking children.

13  Thank laurfar
Reviewed 18 October 2004

My husband and I had a wonderful weekend getaway, without the children, at the Ocean View Lodge. The rooms were very clean and luxurious, and the magnificent view and the sounds of the ocean was very romantic. I found the service to be outstanding.

For those who rated this hotel negatively due to a supposed intolerance for children should really take responsibility for where they choose to take their children. When I researched hotels for our getaway, I wanted a romantic room with a jacuzzi and fireplace--things that are not suitable for children. I was informed of the Lodge's policies about not allowing children in the whirlpool rooms when I called for information. This is not because of a "intolerance for children" but simply because of liability issues surrounding having kids near the whirlpools.

There are many places that are much better suited for families with children. As parents, it is your job to find places that are more geared to providing a safe, kid-friendly environment.

19  Thank A TripAdvisor Member