“Wow when we walked in!”

The Redwood Riverwalk Hotel
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Fortuna
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 26 November 2013

After a long drive up the coast we stopped here for our one night stay. Price was inexpensive so did not know what to expect. Wow when we walked into our 2 queen bed room! Super spacious room, table and chairs up front, plenty of walking space between tv dresser and beds. Granite countertop sink, modern bath and shower with large size pump bottles of shampoo, conditioner, and body wash. Clean, clean everywhere. Breakfast area for tomorrow morning looked very nice in the lobby area so we will try that in the morning. Overall, very glad we stopped here. Will keep in mind for a return visit to the area.

• Stayed: November 2013
Jeffrey D, Owner at The Redwood Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2013

Thanks for choosing The Redwood. As an independent hotel your comments are appreciated by us, because, with your help, all the other travelers get to know The Redwood. We look forward to your return. Safe travels.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

I just wanna say that I have stayed in some really nice hotels/motels, and this is one of the best. Very quiet, friendly helpful staff, very clean, good coffee (no half & half only complaint), very comfortable beds, great shower with shampoo that smells pure and healthy rather than perfumy, and free breakfast!! will definitely recommend to anyone coming to the area.

Room Tip: great price and safer location than Eureka motels
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Jeffrey D, Owner at The Redwood Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Wow! Thanks so much for your feedback. We have recently changed all the bathroom amenities to spa grade items and added dispensers, so glad you enjoyed them. We are very happy you chose The Redwood... and we will work on getting half-and-half for breakfast. Safe travels.

Reviewed 21 November 2013

we enjoyed our stay, the room was very nice, the beds were very comfortable, breakfast was good. we were trying it out before our 4 day stay in July. The check-in clerk at the time we checked in (late afternoon) was rude, obnoxious and a jerk! Also why did we have to pay an extra fee even tho it was refunded? just because we used Expedia, makes no sense. We had called ahead of time to make reservations for the Autorama there in July and were told we could bring our well-traveled 6lb dog, for a one-time charge of $10, this guy says if we bring her then we have to pay a $20 A DAY charge on top of the already inflated charges for then, which is ridiculous, if that is true we are going to cancel those reservations.

1  Thank Marvin T
Jeffrey D, Owner at The Redwood Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to comment and also speak with us directly. We do indeed place an incidental hold for all our guests at The Redwood. It is indeed a hold and not a charge. It is released upon check out. We do look forward to your return visit in July for the car show... with your pet! Safe travels.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

Had to go to Fortuna on a business trip over a three day weekend, made reservations for Sat and Sun. I showed up on Friday and checked in with the young tattooed fellow and explained that I needed a downstairs room because I brought my companion and a baby stroller and I have bad knees. The next morning I went to a business meeting and came back about 12:30 and had a girl from the front desk come to my room and ask me why I had not checked out yet and checkout was 12:00, I explained to her that I was staying for three days and had come a day early. She apologized and I left to go fishing. She called me later and said I had to switch rooms and they would move my stuff for me and I can get a new key when I came back. When I came back the young tattooed fellow was at the desk and told me my stuff was in an upstairs room, I reminded him I needed a downstairs room, he told me that I could have a downstairs room but I had to carry my stuff to my new room myself, I went up to the room where he said my stuff was and it was someone else stuff. I went back to the tattooed young man and he explained my stuff never got moved and must be in my old room. He gave me keys to my old room and my stuff was not there. Went back to the tattooed young man he gave me a third room to stay in while he took and hour and a half to find my stuff upstairs which he made me move down myself. The next day I left at 7:00 came back at 4:00 PM and my room had not been cleaned and had no clean towels, I wanted to shower and go to dinner. I went to the front desk to see why my room was not cleaned and I had no clean towels, the tattooed young man told me I needed to be patient and the cleaning ladies would get to my room later and I need to understand it was the off season and they only had 3 cleaning ladies. I had a few choice words about customer service with the tattooed young man and went back to my room to wait for clean towels. I returned to the front desk at 6:00 PM, and was greeted with "whats up dude" by the tattooed young man. I explained to him my room was still not clean and had no clean towels, he finally got off his rear and looked up my room on the computer and told me that they had put that my room was not to be cleaned, when I asked who "they" are he said he did not know. I asked to speak to the manager, he said she was not there, I said call her and he refused, and said she would be in at 7 in the morning. I went back to my dirty room. I left before the manager came in at 8 I told the front desk person what happened and she had the manager call me. The manager called and said they could not refund my money but I could stay for free next time, I will not stay there again if the tattooed young man is still working there.

Room Tip: Kids liked the indoor pool and the biscuits and gravy very good.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank bryan7361
Jeffrey D, Owner at The Redwood Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

The value of our service is very important at The Redwood so when a situation, such as this arises, we take it very seriously. Once the GM, Gina was aware of this situation she contacted you immediately and then contacted me, the owner. Both of us documented the situation and have had quite a few, very serious conversations with the "tattooed young man", who's name is CJ. We are not just letting this incident fade away. We see this unfortunate incident as an opportunity to train and grow. And we have set benchmarks to ensure that we do grow and if those benchmarks are not met then the appropriate actions will be taken. CJ has worked for us before and we hired him because we believe in his abilities but, of course, not at the expense of our guests. Your frustration is completely understandable and we do hope to have you back as our guest and we can show you, first hand, our improvement and hospitality. Safe travels.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

I was very happy with my stay. The rooms are clean and include a fridge anf microwave. For the price I rarely see such details. Also the rooms are huge for only having one bed.

Also the breakfast is decent. No complaints.

Only thing is the blankets were too thin! Maybe I could have asked but didnt. Oh well.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thanks for commenting on The Redwood. Glad you were able to enjoy all the space in your room. We are always happy to offer another blanket if needed. Hope to see you again and we will be happy to have blankets available. Safe travels.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

My wife and I stayed one night in the "King Room" and the room was great, clean, and had a really comfortable bed. The shower was easy to operate and the water temperature and pressure were extremely comfortable. The service was great and the breakfast in the morning was delicious and satisfying (especially the biscuits and gravy)!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thanks for recognizing our service. Since going independent on July 1 we knew that we would need to focus on the service. We work on our development daily. Have safe travels and we hope to see you back at The Redwood soon.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

My fiance and I rented the 'King Suite' and we both felt it was an excellent room. The jacuzzi tub was particularly nice, and big enough for a guy who is six foot five to fit into it comfortably. Service at the front desk was friendly and excellent. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Jeffrey D, Owner at The Redwood Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Very happy you could enjoy all the benefits of our King Suite. We are always focused on our service and pride ourselves on the staff. Safe travels and we appreciate all recommendations!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fortuna
Best Western Country Inn
Comfort Inn & Suites Redwood Country
Best Western Plus Bayshore Inn
Town House Motel - Historic Old Town
Bear River Casino Resort
Best Western Plus Humboldt Bay Inn

Been to The Redwood Riverwalk Hotel? Share your experiences!