“Freshly Paint” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Foster City
Singapore, Singapore
“Freshly Paint”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

My husband is on a business trip, We checked in last 4-10April. We were told that we will be on a newly renovated room, 2371 to be exact. But the room is smelly (paint smell) We immediately called at front desk to request for room change. The guy who answered our call from front desk is not very happy with our request and told us that the hotel is full and the smell is not bad to our health because they use organic paint (is there really an organic paint?) and furthermore, he told us that he paint his whole house and he did not get sick by the smell of the paint. He never give us any alternative on our situation and no apologies for the inconvenience caused.

After 30mins we called again at front desk this time we asked for duty manager and informed her about the rudeness of her staff. She did apologized and told us that the smell is not paint because they did not use paint. She said probably it is the glue smell that they used to put the wall paper (which is also bad for anyone's health, specially if we will stay in the same room for 6 nights) but she offered us a room change on the same building but on the 5th floor. When my husband and I checked the room it has the same foul smell. So we made another call to duty manager, she informed us that the hotel is fully booked and compromised with us that she will leave a message for the next shift to help us transfer room the next day.

The next day we never received any call until 5:00pm. Good thing we bumped into one of Catering Sales staff name Kasha and she asked us how is our stay. We informed her about our situation and she helped us to transfer room on that night to a different building.

Staff at front desk need to be trained how to communicate with the guest specially if it is a complaint in a more well mannered way. We are paying guest it is not a Free of Charge.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
CrownePlazaFC, Manager at Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear PJTraveller02,
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Crowne Plaza Foster City. Please accept our sincerest apologies regarding the smell of the newly renovated rooms. I am glad to hear the front desk and Catering team were able to help switch rooms to help alleviate the smell. Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience and hope to serve you better in the near future.
Crowne Plaza Foster City Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

Amazing!!! It is 2014 and the Crowne Plaza cannot confirm my request to have two adjacent rooms. We travel with children and have reserved two adjacent rooms, so that we can be next to our teenagers. CP considers this a special request, since they cannot guarantee the "availability" of the rooms. I have been on the phone with the global reservation desk, the customer satisfaction officers, and the actual hotel front desk. ( for over an hour after being bounced around). They all confirm my reservation, but tell me they have no way of guaranteeing my "special" request, until I arrive at the hotel ( yet they can charge my credit card for the two rooms). Their website will list which types of rooms are available on which date, but they cannot "reserve" the rooms. I find that hard to believe or accept in 2014. They make it seem like it is technologically impossible. I have made a request for the hotel manager to call me tmrw. I hope I get the call, but not holding breathe.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear M L,
Thank you for taking your time to share your recent experience. I am sorry that we could not honor your special request. We always strive to accommodate every guests’ needs as best as possible according to the hotel’s room availability and occupancy. It is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future. Thank you for your review!

Travellers are raving about these Foster City hotels

Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

We are finishing up a 5 night stay at this property, our third stay in 6 years. We were assigned the executive tower on floor 5. No gala was planned, and everything was quiet. Rooms have been redone in contemporary style. Sushi restaurant changed hands but food there and at restaurants still good. When our son only ate oatmeal at the breakfast buffet they did not charge us the full price and I'm grateful for that! Service is excellent I believe. I like the little "to go" Chit Chat area for coffee in am. Fitness weight machine needs replaced and common areas like fountain, windows looking over the roof by elevators and fitness area will need redone over next few years as some surfaces are showing wear. Overall I hope I'm lucky to be back this way again and stay here.

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank YogaDoc601
CrownePlazaFC, Manager at Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear YogaDoc601,
Thank you for your kind review! We are pleased to learn you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We are in the midst of finishing guest room renovations and will move onto public spaces like lobby, elevator landings, etc. Things like the fountain, elevators, and fitness area are all areas of improvement and will be considered during renovations. Hopefully you will get a chance to visit us again and experience the new amenities!
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

Just spent 2 nights there. Really nice hotel recently renovated rooms, polite staff. But the loud music kept us up very late. Bring ear plugs if you plan to sleep. We called the front desk a couple of times and we're told they were having a "gala" and the music would stop after 11p. We'll my flight was at 630a and I needed to be up before 4.

Room Tip: Get far away from the atrium and ballroom.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
CrownePlazaFC, Manager at Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear Expatdude,
Thank you for your review and for staying at the Crowne Plaza Foster City. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience of the noise due to weekend social functions. We try to limit the noise as best as possible. If we have the pleasure of hosting you again, please ask for a room in the Executive Tower as rooms there are not above our Banquet Rooms. Thank you for your review!
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

My employer has an office in San Mateo, and so I frequently stay at hotels in this area. On my last trip, my standard hotels were all sold out, and so I stayed at the Crowne Plaza for 4 nights. The staff were very kind, but the hotel itself was fundamentally gross. The first (non-smoking) room smelled strongly of smoke, though in retrospect I'm thinking that it was just ingrained in the walls/carpeting from times past. The second room was better on the smoke front, but instead smelled strongly of mold and mildew. The bathroom was worse.

NB: The hotel seems heavily used for conferences and meetings, but I couldn't imagine spending a day sitting around there. Just walking through the corridor between the meeting rooms was enough to leave me feeling unclean.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
CrownePlazaFC, Manager at Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear mercifulreleases,
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience. I am sorry that your experience was unsatisfactory. Please be assured our hotel rooms are 100% non-smoking and take cleanliness and sanitation very strictly. We are currently renovating all our guest rooms, banquet and lobby areas and hope you give us another chance at accommodating your needs in the future.
Foster City
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

the receptionist was not friendly at check in. She did not smile not one time! I was there for my retirement party so while i checked in i asked about the party :she acted as though she didnt know what i was talking about! I was disappointed i paid 112.00 and breakfast was NOT included. Never again!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

CrownePlazaFC, Manager at Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Dear Sharon G,
Thank you for your recent review. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the experience you had during check-in. Please be assured your review will be passed onto our Front Desk team for further training to prevent any future similar situations.
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

After reading previous reviews I was apprehensive but from the moment I stepped in to the check -out everything went smoothly. New rooms, great attitude and smiles.
Kudos to Maricar Matic @ Front Desk

San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport
Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo
BEST WESTERN Coyote Point Inn
Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO

Been to Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo? Share your experiences!