“Middle of renovation”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Foster City
Näsbypark, Stockholms Län, Sweden
“Middle of renovation”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Checked in for a 2 day business trips where I was going to meet candidates. The whole reception is upside down due to renovation. I am sure it will be nice when it is done, however this is Hotel is currently not good enough for a business trip if you plan to have meetings at the hotel...

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
CrownePlazaFC, Manager at Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Johan S.,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Crowne Plaza Foster City. We are sorry that our renovations were an inconvenience during your recent stay, please accept our apologies. Please do visit us again once renovations are completed, we are very excited about the final product! Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!
Crowne Plaza Foster City Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Windsor, Colorado
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I've stayed here a couple of times as it is really near a company where I do some teaching each year. They have a reduced rate for their guests, and that was a reasonable rate of $189. I was hoping to extend my stay for an additional 2 nights, but the rate went up to over $300 and that was too pricey for my budget as the company was only paying for the one night. So I went back to my regular spot (Best Western near SFO) for $229 (which included breakfast). Once I got to Crowne Plaza I was kind of glad the additional nights didn't work out. They are still in the middle of construction in the lobby area, but I was told the remodel on the rooms was complete. My room was nice enough and it did look new with new couch and ottoman. Bed was extremely comfortable. But when I looked at the ceiling over the shower is was full of round brown stains as though there had been a leak in the floor above me. You'd think the staff would have noticed this in cleaning. The rest of the bathroom was clean, but it was weird that a "newly remodeled" room would already have stains in the shower. I had room service for dinner and it was good, though you have to read the room service menu from the TV and its painfully slow if you want to see all the choices. One of the other reviewers mentioned the shopping center and restaurants within walking distance and this is a plus. But I won't actively seek out this hotel on my next stay to the bay area, especially at the $300 per night.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Marcia H.,
Thank you so much for your detailed review. All your comments are very valuable to us as we strive to improve on all our services. We will certainly notify our Maintenance Department regarding the bathroom stains on the walls and the speed of the room service menu on the TV and do all we can to fix the problems. Once again, we appreciate your comments and hope to see you again in the near future!
Sanger, California
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Was looking forward to a nice quiet stay. For what I paid for the room, I expected a higher end hotel especially for the area. First impression....A total construction zone. Room should've included a hard hat! Requested a quiet room and was told our room would be very quiet! We must have been directly above the night club....Load music until 1:30 a.m. Was told there was no room to move to. VERY VERY disappointed and a waste of money. I can't believe they get 165.00 for a room! NEVER NEVER will stay again and recommend no one else to book at this hotel!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
CrownePlazaFC, Manager at Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Lisa W.,
Thank you for leaving your review for the Crowne Plaza Foster City. We regret to hear your stay was unsatisfactory, please allow me to express our sincerest apologies. We understand that hotel renovations can be an inconvenience and we are doing our utmost to minimize the impact of the quality of our guest's experience. Once again, please accept our apologies and thank you for choosing to stay with us.

Travellers are raving about these Foster City hotels

Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

My regular hotel (Marriott San Mateo) was booked so I had to schlep over to the Holiday Inn "Crowne Plaza" for a few days on business. The lobby looks like a war zone and a pricey one at that. I was shocked they had the audacity to charge ~$300/night for admission to a working construction site. I did stay in a recently renovated room and admit the design and finishes were much improved. I can't tell what the lobby and restaurant will look like as blueprint reading is not my expertise, but there is an IHOP just around the corner with zero drywall dust and hot coffee. My recommendation is to stay well clear until the renovations are complete and even then try the Marriott.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TravelJDH
CrownePlazaFC, Manager at Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear TravelJDH,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Crowne Plaza. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. While we are in major renovations, we understand that this is an inconveience for all our guests. We also understand there are many hotels to choose from, so we thank you for choosing to stay with us and hope you will visit us again when renovations are completed.
Winter Springs, Florida
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Rooms recently renovated. Nice furniture and wonderful bedding. Bathroom really nice. Needs hook on door for robe.
A/c little noises. Lobby in middle of work. Pool nice. Parking great. Near shopping plaza with target and several restaurants within walking distance

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the other side of 92. Quieter. Also had top floor.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

Although quite often out of my price allocation occasionally I get a special offer and then I make sure I stay here.
Unlike the other reviews I have always found the staff to be very attentive even with all the construction going on. I will agree that it spoiled the look of the place but that's progress!!! It's got to get bad before it gets better.
The room was great. I was in the separate building.
I particularly like the bar. The staff behind the bar are great and Saturday nights have a club atmosphere. Not everyone's cup of tea but I certainly enjoyed it. Most of the people who were there were really friendly too.
If there was a downside to this I feel that guests should get free entry into the bar even after 9pm.
I only stayed here one night but I look forward to being able to return there when the renovations are complete and hopefully on Saturday night.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
New York City
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Located in a bucolic setting south of San Francisco, this lovely hotel offers all amenities (including an indoor pool) and is a short walk to lovely shopping areas and restaurants (although the hotel contains lovely restaurants as well. The rooms are well appointed. The service and staff was outstanding (one woman at the front desk actually called her brother-in-law who owns a business related to our need to try to accommodate us). Free shuttle service to the airport and free Wi-Fi is available.
Major problem...construction everywhere. Sheets of plastic cover everything. Detours to elevators abound. Wet paint must be danced around. It would've made sense to simply close the hotel for two weeks and get everything done in one shot, but instead, customers are inconvenienced by the ongoing work, including noise from 6am to 7pm.
So while I would definitely stay here again, it won't be for the next several weeks until the renovation is complete.

Room Tip: Far from the elevators will be quieter
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Foster City
Courtyard San Mateo Foster City
Hilton Garden Inn San Mateo
Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo
San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport
Best Western Coyote Point Inn
Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO

Been to Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo? Share your experiences!