“Family party accommodated-mixed reviews”

Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Foster City
Hollister, California
“Family party accommodated-mixed reviews”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We were a very large family reunion/ wedding anniversary party and rented a ballroom and hotel rooms. We had people from 80 to 5 years old. We liked the catering. We thought the soundproofing in the ballrooms was excellent-we could not hear the large Tongan wedding reception in the adjoining rooms through the wall.
The airport shuttle baggage ticket MUST BE GIVEN TO THE DRIVER AS YOU ENTER THE SHUTTLE OR HE WILL NOT TAKE YOUR BAG EVEN WHEN STACKED WITH OTHER BAGS!
The soundproofing in the bedrooms was worse. People could hear construction noise from the lobby on the third floor from 7am to 6 pm on weekdays, phone conversations from the next room etc.
People loved the heated indoor pool and the restaurant buffet was good. I didn't try the gym. No decaf in the room on the second day. My sister's coffee maker didn't work, so we combined her decaf and my coffee maker and had coffee.

Room Tip: Maybe the higher you go, the less noise. Paid wifi is available and may be better than free wifi (s...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
CrownePlazaFC, Manager at Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Renee002,
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Crowne Plaza Foster City. We are pleased to know you had a successful event at our property. We do apologize, however, for the inconvenience the noise in the guestrooms caused during your stay, please do accept our apologies. Your comments are greatly appreciated and we thank you for taking the time to review our property. It is our hope you will visit us again soon!
Crowne Plaza Foster City Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Horrible. Club music until 2 am can be heard all the way up yo our 4th floor room, Really? What a horrible hotel. Not what a Crowne Plaza should be. Move on if you want a pleasant nights rest. Why would a hotel like this sacrifice guests for local club goers? No class.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Paul C
CrownePlazaFC, Manager at Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Paul C.,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Crowne Plaza Foster City. We do apologize that the noise from the Clubhouse Bistro nightclub was a disturbance during your stay. Although the nightclub is very popular on Friday and Saturday nights, we do understand that it can be an inconvenience. Your comments will certainly be passed onto management for further evaluation. Thank you for staying with us.

Travellers are raving about these Foster City hotels

Chico, California
Reviewed 10 August 2014

This was a disappointing trip to what should have been a 4 star destination.

The location is a great central peninsula location with easy freeway access, comfortable beds, is updated and clean.. The GOOD stops right there.

On 8/7/14 the hotel lobby and pool area were being remodeled. There is NO lobby bar or breakfast area. Upon check in I was told "If you would like a drink, get into the (only open bar) before 9:00 as after that it turns into a night club and, there is a dress code".. I guess, though I can afford to buy everyone IN the "nightclub" a drink, because I have been traveling all day, am dressed in very casual clothes and not wearing my Rolex, I might not be able to get in..

About the nighclub... I was on the FOURTH floor and I could CLEARLY hear POUNDING music in my room even at 12:30AM... It is unimaginable to me that a hotel of this caliber would put selling drinks in a night club over guest comfort with room rates in the $200 per night range.

All hotel staff were pre-occupied, though the house-keepers were friendly in the morning.. The front desk clerk had to call a supervisor to help process a "cash payment" when I asked for the simple task of paying in cash upon check-out.. Something I ALWAYS do, that is always VERY easily accommodated by a professionally run property.

I would never stay at this hotel again, and I would never recommend it to friends.

Room Tip: Get as FAR away from the nightclub as you can!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Secoon
Dear Secoon,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience regarding your recent stay. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. Because of lobby renovations, our restaurant area with Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner have been temporarily located in the Clubhouse Bistro. In the lobby, there is also complimentary continental breakfast for the inconvenience renovations have caused. Please be assured your feedback will certainly be passed onto management for further review. It is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

I recently spent 10 days at this hotel on a business trip. The hotel is a short 15 minute drive from San Francisco international airport. The Hotel room was modern, large and had a very comfortable bed. The Hotel lobby is currently being renovated, it should look really good when completed. The gym has all the basics required to have a good workout. Breakfast in the bar had plenty of choices of fruit, cereals, breads, hot foods, omelettes etc. The hotel is a 5 min walk from a large Target, Starbucks, Ulta, sports shop, Bj's & Red Robin restaurants. My only complaint about the hotel is about the unreliable Wifi access. This was very annoying but overall I had a very comfortable stay.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Peatlands,
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Crowne Plaza and for choosing our property for your 10 day stay! We hope that all our guests leave with a positive experience, so we are pleased to hear you had a comfortable trip. Lobby renovations will be completed in the fall, so please do visit us again soon to see the final product! Thank you for staying with us!
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This is yet another example of how "full service" hotels are often inferior to new budget hotels (Hampton Inn, Fairfield, etc.). The building is old and drab, with one of those glassed-in central courtyards with potted trees that must have been popular back in the 1960s. There is a renovation going on, but it didn't interfere with my stay at all. The rooms are fine, including the bed and the temperature control. The bathroom is cramped (I had to duck slightly to take a shower, and I'm a bit below average height). From my room there was constant freeway noise, but it was muffled enough that I could sleep fine. The bar is unremarkable and devoid of class. The wifi advertises a top speed of 1.5 MB (that's if you pay), but it was spotty on one evening (OK on the other).

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear shirleyotis,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Crowne Plaza Foster City. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. Your feedback is very important to us and we will be taking appropriate measures to solve the issues you have mentioned in your review.If you would like to further discuss your experience with us please feel free to contact us directly. It is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Hotel was in the middle of a renovation in the Lobby area.
The rooms were clean, quiet, and the staff was helpful.
The hotel rooms are dated and in need of remodeling.

Purchased breakfast at the hotel and was not impressed with the service.
Waited 30 minutes for a waffle, bacon, and hot tea with only one other customer.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
CrownePlazaFC, Manager at Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Gayle C.,
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. Your comments are highly valuable as we continue to strive to improve on all our services. All our guest rooms are completely renovated and the lobby renovations will be completed this fall. We apologize that you felt you received poor service at our restaurant, please be assured your comments will be passed onto management for further review. Thank you for choosing the Crowne Plaza Foster City and we hope to see you again in the near future!
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I am very pleased to share with you that this hotel offers one of the best rooms I have ever stayed in my life around the world. I travel very often on business and also on vacation with family. I always stay in hotels 3 stars and above. This hotel cleanliness and hospitality surpassed my expectations. It is not just about money, it is about principles. You deserve a clean, fresh room to rest the night. Please do not stay in a hotel if you are paying for services you do not have. If you are not happy, please contact this site advisory to share your experience. You will be helping others to chose the right hotel. So, believe me, this hotel is excellent.

Room Tip: All rooms are the same equipped and has the same nice great furnishing. Rooms are very clean, fresh...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Foster City
Courtyard San Mateo Foster City
Hilton Garden Inn San Mateo
Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo
San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport
Best Western Coyote Point Inn
Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO

Been to Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo? Share your experiences!