“Good clean hotel”

Courtyard San Mateo Foster City
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Foster City
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Hi,

I stayed here in a twin room for one night in August 2012.

Positives:

o Clean, king-sized bed, fast wifi, big TV, reasonable bathroom, coffee machine included. I slept like a log.
o Helpful staff.
o Car parking was included in the price.
o Opposite to the hotel there are some places to eat and a Starbucks (although they close early by my standards). Five minutes walk away there is a McDonalds/Taco Bell etc if you arrive late. The hotel itself sells a limited range of sandwiches and beer until 1am.
o We paid 140 dollars which is a reasonable price (King sized plus sofa bed).
o The immediate area seems nice with a lake etc although we did not have a lot of time to explore as we were only there for one night.

Negatives:

o Breakfast not included in the price.
o No shuttle to SF airport (not an issue for us as we had a car).

I would certainly stay here again if I had a car and was flying out of SF airport.

Jonathan

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank jonathan_smoker

Reviewed 28 July 2012

Had to be in town for business and this was the closest hotel. Have had bad experiences with Courtyards in the past, this one was actually one of the nicer ones. The people in the Bistro Restaurant were attentive and polite, the hotel personnel went out of there way to be polite.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Sometimes Courtyard hotels can be basic--this one is way better than basic. Stayed unexpectedly for a family funeral as it was recommended as convenient to the family's house. Was upgraded to a suite at check-in. Lobby area is open, clean, airy and inviting. Room was clean and what I would expect at a property of this type (though I was kind of surprised to have a charge for "upgraded" internet at a courtyard property as I do travel frequently for business). Nice area across the street to grab breakfast or lunch and the individual working the "bistro" area at night was friendly and welcoming. Definitely one of the nicer, more inviting Courtyards I have stayed.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 June 2012

I was attending a San Francisco Giants game on Cinco de Mayo and needed a place to stay in which i did not want to spend hundreds of $ on a hotel in SF. Foster City is one of the best cities I've every been to that me and my girlfriend would perhaps love to be able to live at someday. This hotel had a lovely lobby (small) but there are many places (stores and resturants) around with in 5min or less from the hotel. The courtyard had a nice fire which is nice to relax by in the evening. Also the hostess was very nice and lend a hand with all our needs and questions on where to dine. The room was a great size and the balcony is great! Also had a couch in our room with a good size desk. I recommend a courtyard view! It's a must!

The bad:
It's about 35mins from Pier 39 with traffic.

The beds arent as soft as I would have hoped (kinda rough)

The good:

Great staff

Great location

Nice rooms
With refrigerator, iPod deck, safe, iron, couch and coffee table. Flat screen tv.

I recommend to stay here! I will be back!

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 21 June 2012

I was nice but the bed was a little hard and limited dining options in walking distance but there was nice walking area's near buy.

Room Tip: My room was were two hallways meet and can be noisy.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 June 2012

I've stayed at all the hotels in Foster City of the years, and although the Courtyard is perhaps the plainest, its my favourite.

Some of the reasons I return:

- Friendly staff
- Rarely feels busy, in particular the decent sized pool always seems avaulable
- Basic wifi is free, and sufficient at least for audio Skype calls (there is a $6.85 premium version that supported video Skype too)
- Renovated food bar is handy for snacks and breakfast, but only open sporadically - however there are a number of places across the road (Starbucks, Bagel place, Juice place and Mexican place) that provide alternatives, and its quite common for guests to buy and then eat in the courtyard (and open from 7am onwards)
- This Courtyard, actually lives up to the name - the hotel is formed as a double-level square of rooms around a gardened courtyard, which allows the surprisingly rare opportunity to eat breakfast etc. al fresco. (i.e. California has a sunny pleasant climate, but unlike Mediterranean counterparts the opportunity to eat outside is as rare as rainy London)
- Lots of free car parking around the hotel

Some negative points:
- The rooms, whilst clean, feel somewhat old fashioned and a bit tired

Recommendations:
- For a quieter stay, ask for a room on the outside edge of the hotel (i.e. facing the parking lot)
- The advantage of the inner edge (overlooking the courtyard) is that most rooms have small balconies with chairs
- If you are a Costco member (even an English one), there is a Costco just across the street.

Room Tip: - For a quieter stay, ask for a room on the outside edge of the hotel (i.e. facing the parking lot...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank happyemailer
Reviewed 11 June 2012

I am shocked at the great reviews for this hotel:

Pros:
Clean
Friendly Staff
Big Rooms
TV
Price
Indoor Pool

Cons:
Beds are horrible, my husband, son and I slept horribly and all had back problems
Fridge does not stay on, you can only turn it on for 2 hours at a time, some of our food rotted
"Free" Internet was slower than my 3G phone, i couldn't even connect a few times and ended up using my phone instead
Hardly any amenities, no microwave, no real restaurant and little selection in the front of the hotel
Very little water pressure

I honestly wouldn't stay here again the fridge, internet and horrible beds did it in for me. My children had medicine that needed to stay cold and the last thing we needed was bad sleeping arrangements.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Pullman San Francisco Bay
#1 of 17 in Redwood City
San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport
Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/San Mateo

Been to Courtyard San Mateo Foster City? Share your experiences!