“Very traditional Sushi bar”
Review of Kasen

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Kasen
Ranked #81 of 187 Restaurants in Fountain Valley
Los Angeles, California
“Very traditional Sushi bar”
Reviewed 22 January 2013

After reading a long thread on ChowHound, I just had to try this place out. So off I went to Kasen on Saturday evening. Arrived there approximately 6:15pm, the place was empty except for 2 japanese couple. We asked for the sushi bar for the famed omakase. We had the sashimi + sushi omakase.

I have to agree, the fish is fresh. This is a very traditional sushi bar where alot of the nigiri that he serves is not seasoned with ponzu or any other sauce if you're used to places like Oshima. Taste is based heavily on the fish itself.

What I loved is that the fish to rice ratio is 2:1, you get alot of fish for a tiny amount of rice, you taste the sweet/tangy rice at the backend.

For the sashimi plate, we got 2 pcs of Toro, 2 pcs of abalone, 2 pcs of yellowtail, 2 pcs of halibut, and 4 pcs of uni.

The sushi are as followed:

halibut marinated in kelp
stripe jack (shimaji)
japanese scallop
spanish mackarel
dungeness crab leg
salmon roe
salmon
toro roll - 3 pcs
miso soup - signifies the end of the omakase
otoro - extra order

i had a large sapporo.

$90/person including tax w/o tip.

It was hard interacting with the chef unless you speak Nihongo however the server will gladly explain everything for you. The service is good, there was probably only 1-2 minute break from each sushi he serves.

I enjoyed this dinner. If im in fountain valley, this is probably my go to sushi bar however I still love my Oshima at the end of the day, not to take anything away from Kasen, it's a fabulous sushi bar and anyone who wants a traditional taste, you need to try this place.

• Visited January 2013