Motel 6 Fremont South
US$186
Hotels.com
US$153
Hampton.com
Good Nite Inn Fremont(Fremont)(Great Value!)
US$88
  • Pool
US$165
US$160
US$175
US$147
US$142
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 28 December 2013

slum
sləm/
noun

1. a squalid and overcrowded urban street; dwelling; or district inhabited by very poorly treated people. synonyms: hovel, rat-hole; MOTEL 6 FREMONT SOUTH etc.

Grace at the front desk was very unhappy, as though she were cleaning toilets instead of her inhospitable attitude... Almost like interacting with the "Sleep Nazi"

"I'm Tom Bodett for Motel 6, and we'll leave the lights [OFF] for YOU [permenantly...]" Thank you...

Room Tip: To avoid CANCER stay away from the back smoking Quadrant!!!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 September 2013

We got there after a 16 hour flight and all we wanted was to take a shower and sleep for one night. At the reception they said that there were no rooms available, even though their own website (and other booking sites) would say otherwise. Maybe it was just their way of saying "stay away". Should've listened.

The overall atmosphere was bad, but it was the room that really surprised us. It was dirty and smelly, really disgusting. The carpet had huge stains everywhere, so did the sheets - not to mention pubic hair. Well, I could go on and describe the bathroom, but I think its unnecessary.

I stayed in several other motels in the same price range during the rest of my trip and this was by far the worst one. I'll avoid Motel 6 from now on.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

Don't expect too much. Somewhat run down, non smoking rooms have ashtrays, we have a couple dogs hotel is pet friendly but room stunk of urine or something.
Seems that there are people actually living here, shady characters around, but what you expect for 55 dollars.
Would I stay here again, I highly doubt it, but I must say this chain of hotels seems to be the same crappy
Condition wherever you stay.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Roblenore
Reviewed 11 April 2013

I stayed here for a few days and was not impressed. It looks nothing like the photos on the corporate website; it's a bit rundown and is also right off the freeway and pretty noisy. If you're getting here by GPS you will find that the most logical route will be a pain (Mission Blvd) traffic-wise since you'll have to wait for all the freeway traffic to let you get over to the street you need to access the motel.

The management sucks, first-off. The main guy who checked me in is nice, I don't know his name but I only dealt with him the one time and every other time it was someone else who was very rude to me so I have to average out to extreme sucktitude. I had several problems with my stay (and I honestly usually just deal with it and don't voice it til I have to) but when I complained, nothing was fixed. One member of staff overcharged me when I had to extend my stay a night and then when I caught the mistake he said I was wrong and refused to fix it. Not cool. When http://motel6.com sent out the "how'd we do" follow up e-mail after my stay I told them exactly what I thought and the main manager basically said sorry but there was nothing done to fix anything. In my opinion they could have at least adjusted the billing error, all things considered. Moving on...

I reserved a room with *one* queen bed and was placed in a room with two twins. Not comfortable or ideal. Both beds had cigarette burns all over the comforters, were hard, and one of them had spiders on it so it became clear which would be for sleeping.

There is no sound-proofing on the windows/doors/walls, per your usual cheap motel standards.

The first really unnerving thing was finding a cockroach in the room. The maintenance guy was sent over to "inspect" the scene. I not only showed him a bug but a photo I took of one. He told me it wasn't a cockroach, but some other nasty bug that was a less disgusting sort and not a problem. Erm, ok? I am pretty sure it was a cockroach. I *could* (and still might) be a jerk and post that photo here regardless of wtf kind of bug it was. But somehow it was decided I should cozy up with the bug and get over it.

The tv had zero reception even though it was advertised there was satellite tv newly installed. I told the maintenance guy the first day. He promised to come fix it. He never did.

The wifi (which is actually *free* there) went down a lot. A whole lot. Even the phone line oddly went down. The wifi was also super slow and randomly blocked internet sites like THIS one (seriously) and Craigslist. Way to hate, Motel 6.

Their housekeeping is one that is enforced pretty nazi-style. They expect you to let them in daily on a rigorous (and very early) schedule, regardless of whether or not you're checking out. If you don't, they'll be all up in your business investigating. I had a maid and some other member of staff collecting personal info on me to try to figure out why I was not wanting housekeeping one day like they were in the CIA or something. It's pretty rude. Once they got in, I did notice some mild theft of hygiene goods thanks to that eager housekeeping staff.

Their ice machine barely works yet is severely over-taxed by the construction workers who seem to largely populate the motel with their daily hauls of ice. I never once was able to get any ice out of that machine. There is only one set of laundry machines here, and every time I went into the room someone had just left their stuff in there to sit.. so the choice was to either not-so-politely set it aside or to not wash your clothes.

There is NO a/c here at all and the windows do not open more than about an inch so even if it's not actually hot, you will start to feel warm and it gets pretty muggy in the rooms.

There seem to be a lot of down-on-their-luck/scammer sorts who try to hop into open rooms as they are being cleaned. It's not as bad as some other motels I've seen. But I did notice a fair share of people getting kicked out of rooms or stealing going on. It's not exactly the *safest* place in the world.

Overall, I've seen worse but I've definitely seen a helluva lot better. It's cheap but I think you should still get better for your dollar.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Melissa T
Reviewed 18 February 2013

I reserved a room here because it was in a business park, good location, and the pictures make the place look decent. It's a national chain in Fremont, California; it should be good right? Oh my God!! This hotel is the worst that I have ever seen. The room smelled like a dead animal, there were two naked men with the door open in the next room, and shady characters hanging out their doors. No vending machine, fridge, or microwave on the property. There was a stack of old mattresses in the dumpster. This hotel is not safe for children at all. Illicit activity such as drug use and prostitution is obvious after 30 minutes of observation. After 45 minutes in the room, even after a long trip of driving 10 hours, I just could not take any more. The manager promptly refunded my money without question. If you are looking for a safe place to stay, I would recommend that you not stay here. I cannot understand how the state of California with all of its regulations and laws or the city of Fremont could allow places like this to operate. Where is the health department? Where is the Vice Squad? You would not even believe that a place like this could stay in business if it were on television!

Room Tip: Avoid the hotel. There is actually a really good Motel 6 in Sunnyvale, if you can manage to find a room available.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family