“Nice Stay But Needs Improvement”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fresno Northwest-Herndon
Ranked #29 of 64 Hotels in Fresno
Reviewed 8 August 2014

My family of 4 (2 A, 2K - 11, 13) stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. The first night we arrived around 9pm after a long day at Universal Hollywood and traveling. When we checked in, we received a 10% off coupon for Yukon Jacks right across the street. That's where we headed and had a wonderful, late dinner. After dinner (around 10:15pm), upon entering our room we walked into a sweltering hot room as the a/c was not turned on. Needless to say that an hour later when we plopped into bed, it was still very warm in the room.

The room was nice and large, king bed, pull out sofa, sitting chair, desk, desk chair, kitchenette area with sink, small fridge (no freezer), and micro. Disappointed that they did not have rollaways at all. The fan on the a/c unit only has one setting of high. So, it was very noisy in the room. So it's either loud traffic noise or loud fan.

The bathroom was a nice size and had built in cubbies in the wall for accessories which was nice. The bathroom door is a heavy door that closes automatically and there is no fan in the bathroom. We had to prop the door open with a shoe so that the bathroom would get air to it. I even put a tissue near the vent on the bathroom ceiling to see if that was working and it just fell.

The bathroom only had three towels even though I put the four of us on the reservation. I went to the front desk for an additional towel and an extra blanket since my son decided to sleep in the chair. I received a towel, but the only blanket they could offer is the one that they put on top of the bed near the end. I then asked for a flat sheet.

The morning breakfast was yummy with eggs, sausage, gravy, biscuits, bagels, yogurt, cereal, pancakes in a minute flat and beverages.

After breakfast we headed out for a long day of ziplining and exploring Yosemite. We again didn't arrive back to the hotel until around 9pm. Upon entering our room, it was again very hot and stuffy as the a/c got turned way up. Also, again there were only three towels in the room and the extra sheet was gone. I headed to the front desk where I was told they were out of towels and handed me two pool towels that I told were just the same. I looked at the young gentleman and said that the pool towels are not even close to bath towels. He replied, "That's why I gave you two." uuuugggghhhhhh!

Additional: Didn't use the pool, but is on the small side. The internet was good, but slow at times especially when pulling up maps. No in room safe. We arrived to the hotel late both nights, but they have an evening reception. Lots of shopping down the street.

Nice stop on way to explore, but wouldn't stay for any length of time.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
YuriBarajas, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fresno Northwest-Herndon, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

LoveVacations,

We appreciate your feed back regarding your stay at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fresno Northwest-Herndon hotel. Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience during your last visit. We hope to have you back during your future visits to Fresno/Yosemite area.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

We arrived at this property without a reservation after a dismal experience at a motel in Sequoia NP. Needless to say, we were tired, dusty, and in need of extreme comfort. We were not disappointed! Although without a reservation, Yuri at the Front Desk went the extra mile by finding we had unknown rewards points on file and actually held a room for us while corporate did its thing to secure us a free room! The property was clean, efficient, and everything we needed - quite a contrast to our experience the prior night! Thanks to the entire property for our return to civilization!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for staying at the Holiday Inn Express Fresno Northwest-Herndon. We are pleased to hear that we provided an excellent service by going the extra mile.

Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

I travel to Fresno for work and this was the first time staying in this Holiday Inn Express. The staff is very pleasant, rooms are clean, great deal with breakfast included but the noise is miserable. I tried to drown out the sound with fan but that is also loud. If it wasn't for the noise I would give it a higher rating.

• Stayed: July 2014
YuriBarajas, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fresno Northwest-Herndon, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Travelgal38,

I would like to thank you for the positive feed back from your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Fresno Northwest property. We value your time and hopefully next time you are in Fresno we can accommodate your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Fresno Northwest property.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Although when I first came in I was not acknowledged with my points or being a Platinum member. I know that is kind of shallow, but I've put my time in with Holiday Inn for a reason. With that being said, that is about the only negative thing I can say with the exception of not really quite getting my room as cool as I'm used to. (I'm from back East).
The pool was nice (hot tub didn' t work) Room was always clean and nice, staff was nice. Bed was comfy and room was spacious. This hotel is located in a very nice part of town SO close to Walmart, shopping malls and great places to eat.
Even though there were tons of baseball kids a few days. I could not tell there were kids in the hotel. Nice and quiet. Enjoyable 3 day stay

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Our family of 5 stayed at this hotel on our way to Yosemite. It was just one night and we'd driven all day. It got the job done, but we won't stay at this property again.

The good: Very clean room. We had a 1 BR "suite." (I've never had a suite without more than one room, I'd call this a normal king room with a kitchenette.) The pool was small but adequate for everyone to cool off. Breakfast was standard for a HI Express. Staff was very courteous and professional.

The bad:
1. The room was small for a "suite." There should have been a wall/door separating the BR and the living area/kitchenette. So I think the room was mislabeled. I've stayed in standard rooms in this chain that were the same size or larger. A "suite" should have 2 rooms.
2. The road noise was terrible, it kept 3 of us up off and on. I've stayed at other hotels in this chain this close to a major highway and not had any road noise, this is a design failure for the hotel and a fatal one. I imagine it's OK on the other side of the hotel, but if your room is facing the highway you better have ear plugs or like the "calming" sound of jake braking semis.
3. Several things just didn't make sense or didn't work. For instance, the climate control was not connected to the window A/C unit... so it was kind of useless. The bathroom had no fan so it never aired out after a shower. There was a kitchenette but no table in the room to sit at, just a couch with a coffee table.

Over all, I would have been fine if I were solo for a business trip. But I expected more from this hotel and left disappointed.

Room Tip: Get a room that isn't facing the highway.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
YuriBarajas, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fresno Northwest-Herndon, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear MClanea,

I would like to thank you your recent feed back regarding your stay at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fresno Northwest.
I apologize for any inconvenience experienced during your stay. I appreciate your feedback and hope to have back in your future trips to Fresno/Yosemite area.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

No reservations, but stopped to see if we, 3 adults, could stay. Yes, very good accommodations. Friendly from the front door to the dining to housekeeping to check out to grounds keeper. Well priced, $$$. Rooms were nice and cool. Beds were nice and soft, good sleep. Showers were good, hot water. All areas were very clean and kept. Breakfast was a hot meal, plenty of fruit and good. Pool was good, and in a well lit area. Good secure area also. we would stay here again and very much recommend.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
YuriBarajas, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Fresno Northwest-Herndon, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Hello Darmar01,

On behalf of the staff of the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fresno Northwest, I will like to thank you for your review. We are very happy to hear that we met your expectations and we look forward to have you back soon.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We have stayed in this location on business and pleasure trips many times in the past few years due to it's close on/off the freeway. It has always been a pleasant stay until our recent visit. First we get there at about 8pm to check in and unload our luggage put it on the one cart available and it had a flat tire to go to our 4th floor room and find that there is a line of tour bus travelers waiting to go up in the elevator. One elevator and a 20 minute wait when you're hot and tired and have driven 9 hours. Suggestion if you have a party like that put them on the first floor! Considering there is only one elevator. Oh yes they did have stairs and no. Again hot, tired and pooped out! So after getting into the room which was so hot the sweat was pouring off of us we turned the air on only to find that there was only cold, cold cold or hot hot hot you could not find a happy medium. I called and was told that is the way it worked and there were no other rooms. And it was so loud it sounded like a freight train all night. So when the room became so cold that ice was on our nose we would turn it off and then when it got so hot we could not bare it we would turn on the cold ALL NIGHT LONG! Not like we could open a window to get fresh air. We tried turning it off and the room became stifling. Not much sleep that night. No a happy stay for us and not sure we will return the next time we have to pass thru. I understand that they have these tour buses come through twice a week make sure to book when they are not there and ask for a first floor room. Happy travels!.

Room Tip: Get a room where the air conditioner works!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank scooteraroo

Dear Scooteraroo,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feed back regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fresno Northwest-Herndon property.
I apologize for the inconvenience, we will take your recommendations in consideration in order to improve and reach our goal to provide a memorable experience to all of our guests.