“Your better off sleeping in your car!”

Piccadilly Inn Shaw
Ranked #9 of 64 Hotels in Fresno
El Dorado Hills, California
“Your better off sleeping in your car!”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

The rooms were filthy four cockroaches..dead and alive. Dirty sheets, minimal bedding, red dirty carpet with someone's toenail clippings, toilet overflows. The front desk wasn't shocked by any of the information given..Would not move us. It was truly out of a horror show! I wish I would have stayed at a Holiday Inn or something similar. NEVER STAY HERE!! IT'S DISGUSTING!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank btslinnane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Korean first
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Took over an hour to check... My company booked a room for 4 of us and they cover everything.. At check in they requested a personal credit card from each of us... After getting a manager and fighting about it I was finally able to check us using my company card.... Will never stay here again

2 Thank Mrc19780
Oakland, CA
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Ya know what I hate? A hotel that posts hours for a bar or restaurant on the property, which then closes earlier than stated. When a hotel says the bar is open till 10pm. I expect the bar to be open till 10pm even if last call is 15-20 minutes earlier. But being turned away though the posted closing time is still 35 minutes out? Yeah, that sucks. I come to Fresno to visit family and after spending a day with them I need a stiff drink.

But the hotel is cheap. So it has that going for it. The look of it initially is that it is upscale, but lots of details show why they can give a rate so much below $100 when many other hotels are booked solid:
Rooms are musty smelling. Hot water has poor water pressure. Bathroom sink has weird aerator that sprays water on anyone standing in front of it. Very old thermostat took experimentation to get to a setting that suited us. No laundry service so no laundry bag in closet. Ice machines are few and far between. Plastic covered plastic cups. Basically, it's lots of little things. Oh, and only two employees smiled the entire 3 night stay.

A word on the Internet: It's an AT&T wifi hotspot with wildly inconsistent speeds and no password. At first I thought it was just bad (my utility was measuring it in bytes rather than kilobytes per second for two of the nights...felt worse than dialup) but speeds on a third night were more reasonable. I wouldn't call it "high speed" by a long shot. And I'd make sure to use a VPN while using it if I were you.

Honestly I would have given this place a 3 star because the bed was okay, pillows were hypoallergenic, breakfast buffet was free, and the housekeeping staff was very good, but I can't because, well, the bar closes early.

Room Tip: As others have mentioned, rooms facing Shaw Ave are not for light sleepers. 118 in the Sherwood buil...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank neega
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I was pleasantly surprised at this very nice hotel. Check in was very easy. The room was spacious & very clean. They provided a complimentary breakfast at their on site restaurant which also served food until 9pm during the week. Accessing WiFi service there was very easy. My only complaint was the $50 check in fee to cover any damages etc which they assured me would be reversed off my credit card if there were no problems. I will definitely write another review if this does not occur. I booked through Priceline's special discount option & chose 3 star hotel. I think it was a great value. I would definitely stay here again & do recommend it.

1 Thank DylanJNovember
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Son Rooms With Courteous StafF Makes This A Most Enjoyable Place To Stay. Practice Putting With Nine Holes Or Play A Round Of MiniGolf My Son Loved It. Close To Shopping And Local Events Makes This A Very Comfortable Place To Relax.

1 Thank robertshaw073
San Luis Obispo, California
Reviewed 14 April 2014

My husband and I were very pleased with this hotel. The price was right, the rooms were very clean, the staff was friendly and the free breakfast buffet was a delight. The hotel was only 8miles from downtown Fresno. Will stay here again if we are in the area.

1 Thank Lilsurferkris
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Pros:
Comfy beds/bedding
Room and grounds were impeccably clean
Beautiful common areas, very green
Price
Good location
Front desk staff
Cons:
Outdated decor, 1990 here I come!
Breakfast (fake eggs, sausage, and assorted carbohydrates)
Wi-fi is slow and unstable

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple