“"Unique" hotel - Smoking Rooms offered - Online Gamers beware - Internet speed won't work for you”

Piccadilly Inn Shaw
Ranked #11 of 64 Hotels in Fresno
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I stay at this hotel every time I'm in Fresno (three times/year).

Pros: They offer a small selection of smoking rooms. Rooms are spacious.Four HBO channels, small refrigerator standard in all rooms, hotel addresses special requests. Value is good.

Cons: Internet speed is really slow (see below), musty smell in rooms, ice not easily accessible in rooms not located in main building, microwave not standard in rooms, several dark areas throughout property so feeling of safety isn't high.

Since my last stay at this hotel, my needs have changed. I need high speed Internet with at least a 5Mbps download and 2 Mbps upload speed. I did numerous speed tests during my stay and the average download speed was less than .5Mbps, and average upload speed was about .20Mbps.

The Internet Service Provider at this hotel (AT&T) wasn't able to increase the speeds as the hotel has them limited. It was difficult just doing basic "web surfing" without significant delays in pages loading. I attempted to listen/watch some music videos on YouTube and the music/video kept pausing and loading to the point where I just stopped trying.

If this hotel would make higher down and upload speeds available to guests, free or at a cost, I'd give it a higher rating.

1  Thank Mike M

Reviewed 18 May 2014

I recently stayed here for a business meeting and was somewhat trepidatious after reading the many bad reviews. Okay, this hotel is a refugee from the 70s, when the faux British look was all the rage.... Oliver's Pub and Restaurant....come on. Guest wings with cheesy names such as Nottingham, Canterbury, Buckingham, Oxford....etc. However, all Stilton aside, I found the place to be more than acceptable.
The remodel has now apparently been mostly completed and my room was updated, spacious, clean, with a good bed and pillows, and noticeably free of dead bugs. (Tip: just in case there are still some unremodeld rooms, ask for a remodeled one.) The grounds, particularly the courtyard area, were immaculately maintained, the staff unfailingly friendly and helpful, (particularly John, the concierge/bartender). The price was very reasonable and the free breakfast was more than adequate. Speaking of Oliver's, it is very nicely decorated and does have the feel of an 1800's public house. I did not eat there, but some of our group did and said the food was pretty decent. My only complaint was that I was in a room that faced Shaw Avenue and the traffic noise at night was fairly loud. If I stay here again, I will ask for a room on the other side. All-in-all, I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not front onto Shaw Avenue
1  Thank PandD14
Reviewed 16 May 2014

This place is clean, with some upgraded items blended with dated integration. The shower seemed a little crowded with the size of handicap bar that was installed. I'm not complaining about the bar, its that I kept hitting my elbow while washing/rinsing my hair. The exercise room had elliptical, tread mill, bicycle that was in working order, the step machine was out of order. It was nice they supplied towels (even though the one I chose had a cockroach on it.). I let the manager know who promptly had all the towels removed and washed. The room's air conditioned worked wonderful. The pool area was nice, they had plenty of towels available and served its purpose nicely. My room key didn't work getting into the exercise room and it didn't work on the pool gate closest to my room, but the maintenance man was very kind and helped me get into the pool area. I didn't think to try one of the other three gates. But after the first attempt, I just used the gate that I knew worked with my key. The complimentary breakfast was decent. They served red potatoes, scrambled eggs, and sausage. The bed and pillows were comfortable. Free wifi was a very weak signal.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Yvonne H
Reviewed 13 May 2014

A quaint inn with a decent courtyard. Rooms were adequately stocked and clean. The bed, comfortable and clean. Pricing reasonable. The paperwork required on check-in was odd--more signatures and initialing than my tax return!

1  Thank pruhlie
Reviewed 9 May 2014

The pricing on this hotel was very reasonable when compared to other hotels in this region. The rooms were clean and very well kept. The continental breakfast offered had more than enough to choose from. There was only one small major defect: Asking for the credit card when checking out. Reason: the room was paid for in advance, deductions made weeks ahead of time. Unless you over stayed there is no reason for billing you an extra 50.00 on your account. They need to leave my money alone. Because of this I had investigate and inquire about the extra charge on my bank statement. I did get my money put back days later. Why put the customer through this? what happens if you were on a budget and you need gas of food to continue your travel and these guys are holding your last 50.00 up?

Room Tip: Don't give them your credit card when checking out.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Angelo g
Reviewed 9 May 2014

The front desk managers were abrupt and rude - two different ones. The others were not knowledgeable.
The rooms had a lot of space, generally clean and comfortable. Often found a dead bug about once/day.
They don't like long term stays - which is odd.
Has small fridge.
All single story - make sure you ask for a room not right on Shaw Avenue.
Pillows were awful - lumpy, inconsistent. Had to go buy new pillows.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Adventurer2011
Reviewed 2 May 2014

The rooms were filthy four cockroaches..dead and alive. Dirty sheets, minimal bedding, red dirty carpet with someone's toenail clippings, toilet overflows. The front desk wasn't shocked by any of the information given..Would not move us. It was truly out of a horror show! I wish I would have stayed at a Holiday Inn or something similar. NEVER STAY HERE!! IT'S DISGUSTING!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends