“Make sure they have your room ready”

Piccadilly Inn Shaw
Ranked #9 of 64 Hotels in Fresno
Mountain View, California
“Make sure they have your room ready”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

The hotel itself and the facilities were very nice, my only real complaint was with the housekeeping. I booked a room through Expedia and was informed that checkin time would be at 3pm which is typical. When I arrived at 3pm to check in after a 2 plus hour drive from the Bay Area, the clerk told me that my room wasn't ready yet. This surprised me, but I didn't make a fuss and asked how long it would be. I was told 30 to 40 more minutes. I said okay and came back 40 minutes later and the clerk told me that my room still wasn't ready. She checked with house keeping who said it would be another 45 minutes. At this point I was tired and disappointed in the lack of professionalism so I told them to cancel my reservation and that I would find another hotel. The clerk said that since I booked my room through Expedia I could only cancel through them which made things even more frustrating. I asked to speak to a manager but no one was available. I was about to leave when the clerk said that she would book me into another room that was available. I have no idea why this wasn't done when I first checked in, but I would call this hotel ahead of time to make sure your room will be ready and having a room ready for arriving guests is a priority.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Keith W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Large clean quiet king sized room, with free hot breakfast, wifi, hd TV, on-site bar/restaurant, off-street free parking for $79 (we found an online $20 off special). We stayed one night on our way to Yosemite; would stay again. Close to shopping and good restaurants as well.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Mark S
San Francisco
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I tried this hotel after reading positive things about it. After one night here I'm not sure how it got any positive reviews.

The two rooms I had were super dated - something out of the 1960s, but not in a good way. The reason I had two rooms was due to the need to change after the AC unit in my first room stopped working. The one positive was that upon hearing about my trouble the staff were quick to try and fix the problem, and did so in a polite manner. The other major issue was the terrible wireless internet. The signal was very weak and my devices were almost useless even when connected. A good wireless connection is essential for working in the evenings! I did not try the breakfast as I just wanted to leave as soon as possible. Had it not been for the AC unit and poor wireless then I would have rated this hotel as average, however those two things are essential these days and should not be regarded as a luxury.

I would not choose to stay here again.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here then make sure you ask for a room with a decent wireless signal and a worki...
5 Thank richyroogy
Nevada
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This place is large and well maintained. Room was very quiet, great mattress. It's old but clean. Nice pool area - we were essentially by ourselves. We were in Fresno for a wedding and decided not to stay in a big name hotel. Ended up being a good choice.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MSandDS
Pahokee, Florida
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I stay at this hotel every time I'm in Fresno (three times/year).

Pros: They offer a small selection of smoking rooms. Rooms are spacious.Four HBO channels, small refrigerator standard in all rooms, hotel addresses special requests. Value is good.

Cons: Internet speed is really slow (see below), musty smell in rooms, ice not easily accessible in rooms not located in main building, microwave not standard in rooms, several dark areas throughout property so feeling of safety isn't high.

Since my last stay at this hotel, my needs have changed. I need high speed Internet with at least a 5Mbps download and 2 Mbps upload speed. I did numerous speed tests during my stay and the average download speed was less than .5Mbps, and average upload speed was about .20Mbps.

The Internet Service Provider at this hotel (AT&T) wasn't able to increase the speeds as the hotel has them limited. It was difficult just doing basic "web surfing" without significant delays in pages loading. I attempted to listen/watch some music videos on YouTube and the music/video kept pausing and loading to the point where I just stopped trying.

If this hotel would make higher down and upload speeds available to guests, free or at a cost, I'd give it a higher rating.

1 Thank Mike M
Oregon
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I recently stayed here for a business meeting and was somewhat trepidatious after reading the many bad reviews. Okay, this hotel is a refugee from the 70s, when the faux British look was all the rage.... Oliver's Pub and Restaurant....come on. Guest wings with cheesy names such as Nottingham, Canterbury, Buckingham, Oxford....etc. However, all Stilton aside, I found the place to be more than acceptable.
The remodel has now apparently been mostly completed and my room was updated, spacious, clean, with a good bed and pillows, and noticeably free of dead bugs. (Tip: just in case there are still some unremodeld rooms, ask for a remodeled one.) The grounds, particularly the courtyard area, were immaculately maintained, the staff unfailingly friendly and helpful, (particularly John, the concierge/bartender). The price was very reasonable and the free breakfast was more than adequate. Speaking of Oliver's, it is very nicely decorated and does have the feel of an 1800's public house. I did not eat there, but some of our group did and said the food was pretty decent. My only complaint was that I was in a room that faced Shaw Avenue and the traffic noise at night was fairly loud. If I stay here again, I will ask for a room on the other side. All-in-all, I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not front onto Shaw Avenue
1 Thank PandD14
Lacey, Washington
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

This place is clean, with some upgraded items blended with dated integration. The shower seemed a little crowded with the size of handicap bar that was installed. I'm not complaining about the bar, its that I kept hitting my elbow while washing/rinsing my hair. The exercise room had elliptical, tread mill, bicycle that was in working order, the step machine was out of order. It was nice they supplied towels (even though the one I chose had a cockroach on it.). I let the manager know who promptly had all the towels removed and washed. The room's air conditioned worked wonderful. The pool area was nice, they had plenty of towels available and served its purpose nicely. My room key didn't work getting into the exercise room and it didn't work on the pool gate closest to my room, but the maintenance man was very kind and helped me get into the pool area. I didn't think to try one of the other three gates. But after the first attempt, I just used the gate that I knew worked with my key. The complimentary breakfast was decent. They served red potatoes, scrambled eggs, and sausage. The bed and pillows were comfortable. Free wifi was a very weak signal.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business