“Worked For Me”
Review of The Hotel Fresno

The Hotel Fresno
Ranked #50 of 64 Hotels in Fresno
Reviewed 14 July 2009

Lots of different opnions on this hotel but it seemed to me that this has definately improved in the bast couple of years. I was very satisfied with the rooms, service and grounds.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank norwayChicago
There are newer reviews for The Hotel Fresno

Reviewed 24 May 2009

At least this one came with Starwood points.

Rooms - were nice enough - comfy beds. The rooms are in a bunch of separate buildings and half of them are a flight of stairs walk. If you have a lot of luggage, ask for a first floor room.
Bathrooms are a bit dated.
Wifi didn't work with my computer - never had this problem in a hotel before. They moved my room but didn't fix it.
Pool looked nice - didn't use it.
Gym had ancient low-end machines - couldn't bring myself to use it.
Staff was very friendly.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 April 2009

I am in my room as I write this on the free wifi.

Do not stay in the Jamaca buildings as they are former smoking buildings and the rooms smell of long forgotten smoke. Front desk promptly moved us to new rooms.

This is a converted hotel. Staff told me it was a westin, then a sheriton, now a 4 points. It is old but they have updated the rooms to a decent level. 2nd floor rooms have no elevator access. The building do look worn but they are making the most out of what they have.

The hotel is not in a great area. Parking is not secured. I have not seen any sort of security.

They locked the workout room at 10:00pm. It is not that they say it is closed at 10 but you can still get in. They lock it. This is not great for buisness travelers who need all at all times. I am not happy. Also the area the hotel is in is not great and I would be woried about people running on surface streets.

The pool looks nice but is locked at night. Probably Fresno Hipster central in the heat.

The restaurant looks ok. The breakfast menu is VERRY affordible. We went up to North Shaw at a high end mall that has the nicer chain mega restaurants and good mall shopping.

I have stayed at the Raddison in Fresno and this hotel. When boking this room the two had the same price. I would stay at the Raddison for the same price. More of a hotel.

I just got bit by a bug. ick. I will not return.

I wish Fresno had better hotels.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 April 2009

After finding my room at the Marriott Townplace inn a complete disaster, I was able to quickly book a room at the 4 point sheraton. I've stayed here before and been pleasantly surprised. The rooms are 'upscale', the grounds are quiet, although you are not in the best neighborhood. I will say I've never had any problem with crime or bums... But this time I was not as happy with the room, basically because the bedding has gotten old. The main thing I want from a Hotel are nice sheets and I like it when they cover the bedspread with a sheet too...If they update/upgrade their bedding, I'll stay there again. If not, I'll find someplace else.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 April 2009

Right from check-in the low level of expectations was indicated. Although a smoke-free property, the front desk clerk allowed a lit cigar to burn freely from one of the guests, smelling up the entire lobby. Not a deal-breaker for me, but I thought it was rude of management not to step in and ask him to step out.

Cigar aside, it really was the low quality of the property that got to me. Staff was friendly, but they could not make up for things that were beyond their control in the rooms. Yes, I sampled two due to problems, and probably could have gone to a third had I not been so fed-up.

There are no elevators. When they asked me if I needed help with my bags at the front desk, I did not realize it was because there was no elevators! It was too much of a hassle to go back once I realized this, as the property is spread out, so I lugged my heavy bags up the stairs on my own.

The room was extremely warm, at 78 degrees. No problem, turn on the air conditioning, leave the room for an hour, and... when I got back it was still 78 degrees. After tinkering with the A/C, I finally called the front desk and asked how to work the cooling system. THEY HAVE TO SEND SOMEONE IN YOUR ROOM to turn it on and off!!!! The guy comes in with a screwdriver, tinkers around in a vent in the ceiling. After another hour, the A/C is still not working. I have to pack up and move to another room. This is at 11:30 PM.

New room. They have turned on the A/C for me. I call the front desk for a wake-up call. Phone is DEAD. I call front desk with my cell phone and let them know. I also said I was wanting a wake-up call but supposed that was out of the question since the phone didn't work. She gave me a test call to see... It worked, and she said she would set it for me. HOWEVER, I did not get a wakeup call for whatever reason the next day. Adding insult to injury, the power must have gone out during the night, as the alarm clock I had set as a backup was flashing 12:00. I was late for my business meeting. Very embarrasing.

Then I get a call from maintenance later in the day. They want to come in and try to fix my phone. Um, NO!!! I was checking out the next day and would use my cell and blackberry as alarms. I was not having another stranger tinkering around in my room like they did with the A/C.

Oh, and once the A/C goes on, it doesn't go off, unless you call the front desk, and yep, they send someone into your room. (And then it still might not work.) I was really sick of people tinkering with the rooms. So the second night I barely slept, wearing layers of clothing in the freezing room that wouldn't warm up. (I tried the thermostat to no avail.)

Other annoyances. Windows open about five inches. They are all child-proofed, which I understand, but the curtains don't open where the window is open unless you want to be on display to everyone outside. Housekeeping didn't restock coffee in the room. Yes, I called the front desk on the cell to get that delivered. Housekeeping didn't set the alarm clock to the correct time. Fitness room is LAME. One treadmill. One bike. One elliptical. Treadmill doesn't go above 4.5 speed. That is a fast walk. No jogging for you on this property!!! Fitness room closes at 10pm. No business center... other than a computer with printer. I had to stand in line while two other guests leisurely checked in to ask for a fax to be sent.

Staff is nice, even apologetic, but with all my problems no one offered any discounts, extra Starwood points or even a couple of free drinks in the lounge. Room service breakfast was prompt and decent enough. (Although I used my cell phone to call in that one!) The courtyard pool area is pretty, landscaped, and looks appealing to use although I did not.

Bottom line: This is not Sheraton quality. They charge too much for what it is. Too many broken or outdated things. Stay elsewhere. I know I will.

Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank travelingrules
Reviewed 6 March 2009

Stayed here on way to Sequoia National Park so conveniently located but it is on the edge of town and away from downtown. Nothing memorable about this place although complimentary wine on arrival was a nice touch. Room was OK but bathroom dated and not so clean.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 February 2009

I have stayed at the Four Points each and every time I visit Fresno, and was disappointed the only time they did not have room for me. The atmosphere is so very quiet and welcoming-the rooms are large, upscale and comfortable. No water parks or birthday parties-just quiet, quiet, quiet. Staff are very professional and extremely helpful. There is a restaurant on site for convenience and many close by for additional choices. Love the location and the restful professional atmosphere.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo