“Unique boutique hotel deserving better reviews”

San Joaquin Suite Hotel
Ranked #16 of 64 Hotels in Fresno
Reviewed 28 April 2008

Yes, we read the reviews before our stay, so this might resolve some of your concerns.

We are a team of softball players and their families attending a tournament over the weekend. Out of the 11 rooms we occupied, we got universally positive feedback from the families.

Our team mom did an excellent job getting the newly remodeled rooms. As a graphics specialist, I must say the hotel's interior decorator did an outstanding job creating a special theme for many of the suits with coordinating, one-of-a-kind accessories.

Several of the rooms have a full-sized kitchen, newly remodeled with granite counter top. All the remodeled baths have tiled walls and granite counter--a major step-up compared to many chain hotels.

I believe all remodeled rooms have flat-panel TVs; some even have three TVs in a suite.

The staff are friendly and accommodating. When our players needed to leave for an 8 a.m. game, the hotel staff made arrangements to have the complementary breakfast ready by 6 for our team, which is much appreciated.

Bonus, the property is a couple of blocks from a high-end shopping center with a Whole Foods store. What else will you need when you are traveling! We will defnitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2008
2  Thank csse
There are newer reviews for San Joaquin Suite Hotel

Reviewed 18 April 2008

I came to Trip Advisor to see the reviews posted and when I saw the awful comments I called the hotel directly and spoke to the Sales Coordinator, Billy Jo Garcia. She assurred me that Trip Advisor hadn't been a good referral source for The San Joaqui Hotel as there had been many changes in the past several years. She was very concerned, & understanding of my concerns. She informed me that the hotel hand changed the hands of owner's several times, but the current owner was amazing a took pride in his hotel. Billy Jo infomed me that the hotel was infact undergoing renvoations and that the courtyard was splendid....and indeed it was! she encourages me to stay in one of the newly renovated suites, that she would offer me a discounted rate to experience the true experience the hotel had to offer. She put me in a room that had a garden patio, all hard wood floors, 2 large flat screen televisions, and unbelievable decor..... for a wonderful discounted rate! I felt like a pampered movie star on Melrose Place! The front desk was polite and courteous at check in and the customer service was outstanding, and the room was as tidy as can be. When I arrived into my room there was a basket of treats in mr room, and a card from the entire staff welcoming me to the hotel.... It is extremely unfortunate that only those who have poor experiences post comments on this site about The San Joaquin Hotel, becasue my experience was truly OUT OF THIS WORLD! I would HIGHLY reccommend this hotel. Pay the rate to stay in a renovated room, and I will gurantee you that you will have no compalints! The hotel is has obviously taken a new turn since the comments last posted in Feb 2008 and late 2007, I truly can not even fathom what it was that those guests would have to complain about. In one of the comments posted there was a comment made about the statues and arbors being overbearing of some sort, which is not true at all.... the property is unique, artistic, and scerene. When you walk into the courtyard it is peaceful, with fountains spread throughout the property. I sat in a small sitting area in the courtyard to enjoy my breakfast, which was delicious! There was fresh fruit, fresch bagels & spreads, fresh wonderful coffee, and a variety of juices! I absolutely indulged my breakfast and loved sitting out in the mroning sun while doing so. They provide newspapers in the front of the hotel and even referred my wife and I to eat at a wonderful Resturant in Fig garden Village called The Chef's Table. It was excellent! We all know that transisition can take a toll on everyone and renovations are obviously hard to deal with but stay in a renovated room at this hotel, talk to Billy Jo and she will take care of you! You have my word!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2008

False advertisement! I went on the hotels website and booked. I should have also checked for reviews on other websites. The hotel lobby is beautiful. And the employees were very courteous. But the room was disgusting to say the least. The pillows had blood stains and other unrecognizable stains. When I asked for clean pillows, I was told they did not have any. When I asked for a room like the one shown on their website I was told it was already rented. Since all other hotels were booked due to a convention, I ended up going out and buying my own pillow and blanket. And the carpets were just as filthy.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 September 2007

This property is going through major renovations. The exterior is complete, but a bit overdone with statues and arbors. However, the interiors are worn and shabby, and the continental breakfast was just adequate - tepid coffee/warm water for oatmeal and no fruit in sight. The hotel does have some impressive plans to remodel the interiors and some units are in varied state of completion. On the up side, the grounds were clean, the rates were reasonable, and staff were very friendly.
Wait until the remodel is completed and they improve the breakfast.

Stayed: September 2007
Reviewed 14 September 2007

Don't do it. When I pulled up to see that this is a motel where all rooms face the pool, I asked the surly front desk person for the most quiet room she could give me. After sneering at me, she gave me a room on the second floor, near the stairs, and with the bedroom on the street. All night I heard people on the street coming and going, the trash dumpster emptied at 5 AM, the tweakers in the room next to me partying, people coming up the steps and yelling...Plus, it was a dump. Dingy. Not too clean. When I went to check out, the surly desk person was on a break and no one could check me out. This was a lousy experience

Stayed: September 2007
Reviewed 18 September 2006

I'd like to preface what I'm about to say by stating the hotel seems to be undergoing a complete overhaul.

I booked this particular hotel mainly from what I saw and read on popular website. I needed a change and this looked nice. I originally drove past the hotel not realizing it was there as the sign for it was very small and the location just seemed out of place. When I pulled in the parking lot I got real concerned. The place didn't look open and there was construction everywhere.

When I walked in the lobby I got even more worried. The place looked like a tornado hit it. I was eventually greeted by a very nice young lady. I checked in but before I went to my room the manager came out and he was also very nice.

Now I'm handicapped but not to the extent I need a wheelchair for mobility. My room was on the second floor but the elevator didn't work. I had a hard time opening the door as it would get stuck on the door jam...you had to basically bust it open. Upon entering I got a real creepy feeling. The carpets and furniture were extremely dirty and stained and upon further examination I found long hairs in numerous places. The day of check in it was over 100 degrees and the air conditioner wasn't turned on. I went to look for an ice machine but apparently there was not one. The girl at the desk told me not to set the air conditioner any lower than 74 otherwise it wouldn't stay on. It took all night just to get the room comfortable. I really didn't want to touch anything in the room given how the carpet and furniture looked.

Normally I would have went and found a different place to stay but since I had already paid I felt like I could withstand a couple of nights there. People who are interested in booking this place should be aware that it won't be remodeled until April from what I was told. I had hoped that from the description that I had found a little gem...boy was I dissappointed. Hopefully this place looks and works much better when done than it is now.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled on business
1  Thank heldebrant
Reviewed 14 August 2006

I followed AAA guide book and am writing them a letter telling them what a horrible experience it was. The whole hotel is under construction and shouldn't be open. Didn't have hot water at night, the front desk didn't answer any phone calls regarding this issue, you could only get ice in the front office and had to ring to get in after dark. The rooms smelled and you don't always get the size that you requested. Would not recommend this room to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple