“Cheap, unremodeled room was just like the spare room at Grandma's!”

San Joaquin Suite Hotel
Ranked #15 of 64 Hotels in Fresno
Reviewed 10 November 2008

I stayed here with my sister last weekend while visiting family. I have to agree with the last reviewer that Fresno is getting a little crazy with hotel prices. I shelled out $100 for the unremodeled room, however my shower was not "gross" and my TV worked the whole time. My main interest was that we had a bedroom door that shut as my sis was traveling with her baby and we wanted some big-girl time after the baby went to bed.

Anyway, I searched every hotel in Fresno for a true suite...it seems that "suites" in most chain hotels constitute a couch in a seperate area of the room, but not a seperate bedroom. The San Joaquin was the only hotel I found in Fresno that had the seperate bedroom, other than the Marriot Residence, which was over $200.

Our room had two 1980's TV's (however, they were strangely equipped with Comcast digital cable and lots of channels), one in the bedroom and one in the living room. There was also a microwave and a dorm fridge, which really came in handy with the baby. The furniture was old but clean, and the carpet was really old motel carpet. The bathroom reminded me of my Grandparent's house. There was a seperate stand-up shower, with old fixtures and decent water pressure. There was a nice, big bath tub seperate from the shower. The bathroom was kind of dark and lit by icky florescent lights, but there were nice products and decent towels. The bed was hard, the sheets were average. The bedspread and curtains I swear were stolen from my grandmother's house in 1984, along with the TVs and the clock radio. I actually slept on a rollaway (brought promptly upon request) that was truly the worst bed I have ever slept on. I know it's a rollaway, but this thing had to be from the 1960's. I sank in from both sides and both ends! I was actually shocked that they had the nerve to bring this bed up to the un-updated rooms, let alone the $180 (in Fresno) rooms. Or did the remodeled rooms get remodeled rollaway beds too? I hope so. Seriously, I am sure that the beds at San Quentin Prison are better than that rollaway. I understand that a rollaway is a courtesy, but they should be embarassed to provide that bed to any paying guest. I suggest that the throwing of those beds off the nearest bridge be the hotel's next remodel project.

Despite the aged-ness, I will stay at the San Joaquin again, and depending on my budget, I might even stay in the old rooms --they aren't horrible, they are just really, really outdated. There were quite a few plusses about the San Joaquin-- I loved the little sculpture garden, the pool and the hot tub. The lobby was lovely with its shiny marble floors and the free coffee, tea, and cookies. Having a seperate room in our "suite" was fantastic. Whole Foods Market and Fresno's fanciest mall are blocks away (the hotel is located in the Fig Garden district, the "Old Money" section of Fresno). The front- desk girls were friendly and efficient. Honestly the 1980's room was fine for the money, but next time I'll probably go for the upgrade.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family

Reviewed 2 November 2008

This is a story of two hotels, on the same property.

I booked my room through Expedia for $53.00. I travel 100+ days a year and have not stayed in a $53 room in years. I stay almost exclusively in Hampton Inns or Fairfield Inns if the Hampton's are booked. Fresno is nuts. The Hampton was sold out and the only Marriott property that was available was $195! This is Fresno, not Newport Beach.

So, I looked around. I found this hotel, read the reviews, and took a chance. I hoped that I would be able to get a remodeled room. Upon check in, I asked for a remodeled room. They said sure, but it'll be an additional $50 over my Expedia price. I was feeling adventurous, so I declined. Plus, I wanted to see the look on my boss's face when I showed him a $53 hotel room bill. The hotel's website lists the rooms at $180, so $103 would have been a fair price, especially factoring the rate for a similar Marriott property.

First off, the hotel grounds, and lobby are very nice. They are trying to be a boutique hotel and based on the grounds and lobby, I would say they are succeeding.

Then I got to my room. I will concede that it is a very large suite. You have a "living room" in the front and a large bathroom with a shower and tub and a decent room in the back.

The only problem is that the room was stuck in 1983. The carpet was stained and ragged. The shower was nasty (see picture) and the TV was a joke. My computer screen at home is larger than the TV. But, I didn't upgrade so I sucked it up and went on. The room stunk so I opened all the windows and hoped it would air out after returning from dinner with my rep. I didn't. My rep and I went down to the pool area and used the free WiFi and had a cigar. There is a nice seating area behind the pool with large sofas and we enjoyed the comfort.

I noticed the remodeled rooms on my way back to my room and they looked very nice. I was wishing ponied up the $50 a night.

They serve a "breakfast" in the conservatory near the pool. Very nice glassed in area with a very mediocre breakfast. Nothing hot and it only offered mini muffins, oatmeal packets, three kinds of cereal, bagels and coffee. If I had paid $180 I would have been very disappointed since you get a decent hot breakfast at any Hampton for way less than $180 a night.

That night I got back to the room and the TV in the bedroom would not work. I also noticed that the two glasses I left on the "bar" were still there and had not been touched by the staff. They still had cookie crumbs in them so I know they were not fresh. I also noticed the empty coffee cup on the coffee table was still there from that morning. I also noticed ants in the bathroom.

After trying to fix the TV problem on my own, I called the desk. The very nice girl had no fixes so she called her manager at home. He had no fixes and offered to change me to a remodeled room. But, after I hung up with her and walked back into my room the TV was back on. I debated about moving, but being honest I stayed in my hovel. The TV would go in and out over the next two days.

The next night the dirty glasses where still there and now TWO paper cups were sitting on the coffee table. How did they miss them for TWO days?

So, draw your own conclusions. The grounds are beautiful, the new rooms look great and the staff was generally very good. Housekeeping needs some serious work and the non-updated rooms are stinky, dirty and dated.

Are the updated rooms worth $103-180.00? Maybe, if you compare this property to what is available. For me, if I'm going to shell out that kind of coin, I want points and perks. If you are a budget traveler who wants to stay in a nice property with a below average room, then go for it. Just make sure you remind the staff to clean the room.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 September 2008

I got one of those deals thru expedia that seems too good to be true... less than $50 per night plus 4th night free plus $75 gas card. Who can resist? Stayed 4 nights while visiting my parents. And sure, I didn't get one of the newly remodeled rooms, but who cares? It was large, it was squeeky clean, the bed was comfortable, and the people there are so nice. Made me feel like I was their most important customer. I will never stay anyplace else in Fresno again. Even without a special sale price!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 June 2008

Very Clean. Nice bed. Room Remodeled recently... Billie Jo is wonderful to deal with !!!! What a huge difference since the remodel. I highly recommend if you stayed here before the remodel you NEED to try a newly remodeled room. The MODERN room looks like a page out of a magazine with the tile floor and area rug under the coffee table.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 June 2008

I loved staying at this hotel. The suites are beautiful and I wanted to take the bedding home with me. Much, much nicer than any big chain hotel, no funny-smelling hallways. And if you forget to bring a book, they have a shelf full of best-sellers you can borrow. Thanks Billie Jo, I'll be back.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 June 2008

My family and i are from the bay area. We were visiting family and friends in fresno, ca. After hearing that this hotel was an all suite hotel, the wife and i thought it'd be a treat for us and the kids.

As soon as we got there, there was no one in the reception area, we waited a good ten minutes for the lady (stephanie) to check us in. There was no one to help with the baggage either. So from the start, it was a dissapointment.

When we were taken to our rooms, that was on the third floor, we entered a old, stinky room. We asked for a better room, and they sent us to one of their newer remodeled room, but there wasnt a kitchen as we have asked for when we first made our reservation. So once again, we were moved. In total, we moved around 3 times, and by then, my family and i were exhausted.

We settled in one of their older rooms, the carpets were stained, their were roaches, and the air conditioning was barely working. Now everyone knows that staying in the central valley during the summer heat is killer, good thing we didnt take my mom in law or she would've suffered a heat stroke, that's how hot it was in that room!

My wife and I took our kids to my sisters house, and we headed back to our suite to enjoy our time together and invite some friends over who were also from out of town. We were having a wonderful time, minus the stinch of the room, we just masked the smell with 5 cans of febreeze. However, the most dissapointing part about the small get together of my friends was that we were charged a $100 CLEANING FEE!! I was outraged! They said that we left stains in the carpet, which were already there! They said there was a smell in the room that we left behind, that was already there! They said we broke fixtures, which werent working to begin with! I mean if I knew we were gonna be charged for things that were already broken in the room prior to us getting there, then i would've complained about the A/C not working, the blinds being completely broken and dirty, the dirty bath tubs, the blinds were about the feet off the floor that didnt even cover the whole sliding door!

The manager, Angela, wasnt much help on getting our reimbursement back. All she said was it was out of her hands, and our group of friends were so loud that people left the hotel! This was ridiculous! There were about 8 of us in the suite, and if we were remotely loud, it was because they placed us on the 3rd floor because their room keys werent working on all the other rooms with kitchens. And to add to that, we didnt have a room key, only one key was working, and that was the master key, and that key was to be left in the front. RIDICULOUS!!

It's funny though, because we were moved so many times, that when my wife and I left our room to visit my family, i saw the receptionist Stephanie leading her friends to the newly remodeled rooms with kitchens on the first floor! I was extremely upset! But i figured we werent going to stay there for a long time, so we will just settle.

When i was given the bill, i was outraged, due to the stupid cleaning fee and how horrible the stay was. Overall, the total for staying there was $250. Can you believe that?! One night was 250! Something you would pay for a 5 star hotel. And this place was wayyy far from 5 stars!!

WHAT A HORRIBLE PLACE! Never again are we nor our friends staying in this hell hole! I hope everyone knows how san joaquin suites treat their guest. Be warned!!! And search around before settling at this roach infested hell hole!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank mrbiggss
Reviewed 26 May 2008

Great value for the $, nice pool and hot tub, spacious rooms, abundance of towels, very helpful and friendly staff, good complementary breakfast, coffee and sweets available in lobby all day. I would go back there any day.

Stayed: May 2008