“Horrible Room - Don't let the photos fool you!!”

San Joaquin Suite Hotel
Ranked #16 of 64 Hotels in Fresno
Reviewed 21 July 2010

After looking at the hotel website photos the hotel looked like a great value. But once we got there it was a completely different story!
The hotel is basically an old apartment complex they have made into a hotel. The room they booked us in had plaster missing from the wall, the sheet rock wasn't finished from where they must have replaced the sliding glass door. The bedding had holes in it in 1 room and in the other there were holes in the drapes. The carpet was filthy, to the point no one walked around barefooted. The mattress were like sleeping on boards, worst night sleep of my life.
We were thankful we only had to stay one night. I can't believe the management would allow a room to be booked when it was in that condition.
We will never stay there again nor recommend the hotel to anyone we know!

• Stayed: July 2010

Reviewed 23 June 2010

We were looking for a comfortable place to stay on our driving vacation. We wanted a safe neighborhood in a relatively clean room for a great price. We found that at the San Joaquin.

The hotel location was conveniently located for us and in a safe and quiet neighborhood. Service was excellent and the staff was helpful. The grounds were pretty with lots of plants, trees and art. The pool was sparkling, though not heated. The spa was not working which was disappointing.

The room itself was spacious with a microwave and refrigerator in one room with a TV and sofa. The coffee provided with the in room coffee pot was great! The bedroom good sized and comfortable. The room and furnishings were not modern, but it was certainly functional and we enjoyed our 2 night stay.

As an added bonus, the complimentary continental breakfast was very nice. Fresh orange juice, bagels, pastries, cold cereal and more.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank anonymous32358
Reviewed 12 June 2010

After looking around for a place for a week we decided this place was a good choice. Immediately I realized my mistake .. We stayed in a 3 bedroom for almost a month, on the first day i realized how dirty the place was, i called to have housecleaning come immediately!! Only 2 burners worked, there were stains all over the place, my whole family has allergies and asthma and all of us have gotten sick since we have been here!! Also, the a/c was not working well, the air filters and door shutters are filthy..i have to say the manager has been very accomedating, but it sucks that the " upgraded" rooms are decorated with, wood shutters,flat screen. T.v.s ,leather couches and glass tables..We have missmatched couches, old outdated dining room tables and chairs, and t.v.s that are so old we cant even plug a dvd player into it..i hate this place

Reviewed 27 March 2010

Stayed here for three nights with business colleagues in other rooms; all reported the same experience. Ugh. A gorgeously appointed modern lobby, gave way to an attractively landscaped interior courtyard ... and then I got to the room. Dirty, worn and stained carpets, a utilitarian bathroom, threadbare linens, and pillows with thick plastic covers under thin cases. The bed was hard sagging and uncomfortable. The wall-to-wall closet had no doors, and there were no available electrical outlets anywhere near the "desk" built into the "suite" amenities, which amounted to a microwave and a small refrigerator. The furniture throughout was cheap and worn, the TV was a tiny tube set, and the only way I could figure out how to make coffee was to plug it in on the floor. I have a hunch that this MOTEL is a converted apartment complex.
On the positive side, the staff was universally courteous and friendly, the 24-hour free coffee was convenient, and the free continental breakfast was well presented. The pool and courtyard were clean, comfortable and the entire place was very quiet.
One big irritation for business travelers: the free WIFI was unreliable because of poor configuration or equipment. The connection kept resetting to the hotel splash page if you were idle for more than a minute or two, causing any cloud computing efforts to be lost if they had not been saved.
Finally, the hotel deserves a huge thumbs down for deception. The photos of the rooms available on their home page (www.sjhotel.com/suites.html) are a flat-out deception. Our rooms, called "Director's Suites" were much worse than what they show as "standards", and I'd be astonished if they actually had rooms as nice as the ones shown in the various staged photographs.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 January 2010

I ended up at the San Joaquin at a friend's recommendation because I had to travel to Fresno for a training class - I stayed an extra night because I wanted to! The hotel staff was very helpful and friendly, the room (refurbished) was wonderful, the bed was soft and inviting, the grounds are clean and well kept. I can not say enough about how much I loved it here - I really do not want to leave!
The location is convenient to shopping and many other Fresno businesses.
The value I received with this hotel is amazing. I'm looking forward to coming back and bringing friends and family.
I was initially concerned about where I was going to stay because I am a woman traveling alone in an unfamiliar city. I felt completely safe in this hotel.
The only 2 downsides were (1) the internet connection at times is hit and miss (but its free and I don't NEED it so I can't complain that much) and last night (Friday) I had some loud neighbors - but nothing that I wouldn't expect to find at ANY hotel.
Overall it was a wonderful stay. If you are traveling to Fresno you should make it a point to stay here!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 July 2009

Stayed two nights - coming up from Sequoia National Park it was a great location. Spent the next day at Yosemite and again great location ~ sauna wasn't working but still a great relaxing evening. Close to resturants and the staff was great. There is beautiful artwork all around the hotel and wonderful gardens (outside of room/patio was very peaceful and relaxing. This was a great price too. There were three adults in our party and we stayed in the 2 bedroom suite. VERY NICE!!!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 June 2009

Never will I recommend this hotel to anyone or even to my worst enemy. I should have paid more attention to the negative feedback from the other reviews. I saw the pictures of the remodeled rooms on the internet and thought, "well if the rooms look this nice, the older rooms must look halfway decent". Was I wrong!!! Make sure you check the other reviews and pay attention to the bad ones because that is a very accurate depiction.

Not only was the front desk staff extremely rude but the OWNER of the hotel did not even have the decency to come out and speak with me about the room. They left me waiting in the reception area for 20min. I could hear the owner speaking with the receptionist and say "What does she want!". Long story short, I was so mad that I thought if I didn't leave now, I was going to make a spectical of myself. My husband and mother-in-law was with me so I had to keep my cool and make the best of it. But honestly, my weekend was ruined.

The room, as soon as we walked in had a terrible musty odor. As you enter the living room, you could see that the furniture was dirty/stained and had alot damage. The walls were in the same condition (dirty). The bedrooms were so outdated, the beds were hard as a rock, TVs were from the 70's, the comforter and blanket was thin as a sheet, the curtains were dirty and hanging broken on the curtain rod, the vertical blinds were dirlty and broken . The kitchen was old, cracked tile, torn lino, the fridge was rusted on the inside, there were no dishes, untinsils, pots, pans to use if you needed to.The bathroom, old, broke tile, stained shower floor, cracked rusted sink, leftover soap from previous guests. Again, why didn't I make a big ol fuss? My mother in law was with me and I honestly did not make it any worse than it was.

On the day of our departure, my husband went downstairs to pay and was asked by the manager how was our stay. He said the owner shouldn't have offered this room to any guest because of the poor condition. She then said, "You should have said something, we would have given you a different room". I went to the office day before and was told there were no rooms left and that were the dissapointment began. If they would have offered a better/decent room this whole situation would not have happened.

Well, needless to say, I hope my comments will help prevent any disappointments and ruined vacations.

• Stayed: June 2009