University Square Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
Economy Inn(Fresno)
View Hotel
All reviewspicadilly innnice poolnight's sleepplenty of parkingironconvenience
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We've been at this Hotel many times. My wife and I just needed some down time while traveling and wound up here for memorial Day weekend. Check-in was fast and easy and the girl at the counter was very polite and good. the room appeared to be degraded form the last time I was there, but livable. There were only two towels provided and they were like sand paper towels, just awful. I tiny bar of soap, two nearly empty toilet paper rolls and signs requesting that we reuse the 'brillo' towels.

The thermostat had all the numbers worn off so I couldn't tell what degree I was setting it for. Strange. The room was replete with timers for every light. When I used the toilet, the fan and the lights would 'time-out" as if I were being granted only a certain amount of time to do use it. My wife has vision issues so I like to keep the hall light on at night so she can see when walking to the ladies room. But, could not do that in this Hotel, because the timer would cut off the light after 3 minutes. I felt like a child again.

The pool area was horrendous. The pool itself was filthy and in need of maintenance. There was green moss on all the sides indication that it required a vacuuming. the green color is normally indicative of requiring chemicals to combat organic waste. Needless to say, we didn't use the pool that hot (101 degree) day. The hot tub was adequately chlorinated but the jets only worked on one side, so the jets were more violent than inviting. Just as well that the pool area was unusable, because there were no towels provided anyway. One customer asked for towels and was told he had to go to the front desk to get it.

One of my access cards was not working on the gates and doors, so I went to the front desk to get a replacement card. The young lady there was pleasant and made me another. Before I left, an elderly Asian gentleman came charging out and was advising me on how to correctly use the card, almost finger wagging and in an accusatory manner. I politely let him know that I understood hoe to use the access card and left.

The wireless provided there (free) was decent and no problem attaching. The morning breakfast was decent also, but the room was continual crowded. perhaps providing multiple areas for food would have been better than providing too small an area to accommodate guests.

I guess we are seeing the last gasps for breath from this hotel. Sad, because it wouldn't take much to make it better.

Room Tip: Travel to a Clovis Hotel up the street for a better quality hotel. It's worth the extra money. Germs and cleanliness are a concern for me at this place.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Hoang T, Owner at University Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Dear Joseph,

Thanks for providing us your comments during your last stay with us. We are very sorry that it was disappointing to you. We just took over the hotel from a receivership and are trying to do everything we can to make your stay better next time. We have renovated over 130 bath rooms, upgraded old tube TVs to flat screens with 48 HD channels, new secure gates for the parking lot, new water heaters, etc... Please give us another chance. In addition, please bring this response with you for a 50% discount to make it up to you.

Regarding the single King-size room, we provide 2 bath towels, 2 hand towels, 2 wash cloths, 1 facial soap, 1 bath soap, 1 conditioning shampoo, 1 lotion, 1rubber anti-skid bathtub matt, 1 cotton bath matt. We provide room service daily to replace/ replenish all towels/soap/shampoo. In addition, if a guest needs additional towels, housekeeping/front desk employees would be more than happy to bring them to you immediately. We use 100% cotton bath towel which is stronger and more expensive than the 86% cotton plus 14 % polyester fiber towel which is softer, cheaper but less absorbent to water. We wash all linen with hot water and dry them with high temperature to sanitize them. Therefore, all towels are dry and appear “hard”. The newer the towels the harder they seem to be. With your input, we will consider buying the softer towel type.

In an effort to save energy, we participated in a program launched by PG&E Electric provider that motion detector switches have been added to the bath and the entrance. If a light is turned off, all one needs to do is to wave a hand and the light would come back on.

We have talked to the pool service person to do a better job especially during hot season.

Again, thanks for your inputs. They are valuable to us.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

This hotel was recommended to me by the university as a convenient place to stay prior to my interview. I was able to get a great price on Travelocity. The hotel is definitely old, but the lobby has a certain charm. The room was enormous by modern hotel standards. The room was clean although there was evidence it could use a deep cleaning (light switches, etc). The breakfast was okay. The pool area was nice, but the jets for the hot tub were not working. My only real complaints are around security and noise level. Although you need your key card to get into the buildings and pool areas, the buildings felt really isolated. We did encounter one shady looking man hovering around the entrance to our building. We then watched him slip into the pool area when the door was opened. As far as noise level - the people in the room above us managed to keep me up and I did not feel they were inordinately loud. Just having a conversation, but I could hear them laughing loudly every so often through the ceiling.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Spazgirl:

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. Yes, our hotel was designed as an old English Tudor with room size about 1.5 times the newer hotel rooms. Our hotel uses lots of woods and used bricks. Many guests expressed their appreciation of the architectural style over the modern hotels and choose to stay with us on their trip to Fresno. The buildings are far apart spreading over 4 acres of land, maybe this was why you had a feeling of isolation.

I am sorry that the guests above you were loud. If we had have know, we would call them up to keep the noise under control.

Thanks so much for your business and your review. They are valuable to us.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

When I originally made my reservations online I booked 2 rooms, a kind suite and a regular 2 doubles room. A few days later I get a call from the hotel the King suite is not available due to a computer glitch but we have a double king room reserved for you. I get there and they gave away my double king and only had 2 double rooms available. OK we had a graduation to go to in the morning so I took what ever was available. The rooms were dreary and looked dirty. The air conditioner took over an hour to cool down the room. In the middle of the night a was waken my a large bug crawling over my face, YUK!!!! I ran to the other bed and slept in the double with my husband. I would advise any one to pick another hotel, this was just not worth paying for!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank joannethev

Dear Joanne:

I am so sorry for the mix-up of the rooms. We had a hectic week of Fresno State graduation. The hotel was completely full for a few days, but it was not an excuse on our part. If you happened to come back and visit the school for any reason, please inform me, so I can work out a special arrangement with you for a major discount to make it up. My e-mail address is htran@universitysquarehoteloffresno.com.

Your stay and business are important to us. We will try harder not to disappoint you and our future guests.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

We stayed overnight here at the University Square Hotel and the room was really good for the price. They had a hot breakfast with eggs and sausage which was great. The room was clean but the mattress was a little hard, not the pillow top that I was expecting as advertised. I would stay here again if I am ever traveling through the area again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Kelly,

Thanks for your review. We appreciate it every much.

I am sorry that the bed was too hard for you. You probably had a room with a new bed that we just upgraded it. If we had have known of the issue, we would be more than happy to switch you to a different room with a softer bed.

Thanks for your comment about the cleanliness of the room. We try to keep our rooms as clean as we know how. When I travel, hotel room cleanliness is my number one priority.

When you have a chance visiting Fresno State University, please come and stay with us again.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

For $65 on Priceline, we got a very nice, modern and clean room with a comfortable king bed. (Even the tile grout was clean) The room was worth at least twice that. The front desk clerk was extremely welcoming. The breakfast was good. I loved the ambiance of the breakfast room. I'm happy.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Babybizliz:

Thanks for leaving us your review. We appreciate it very much.

We are happy that your stay with us was a great experience. We also appreciate that you recommended others to stay with us as well.

Your positive feedback really gives each one of us more energy to serve you and our future guests better for many years to come.