“Wonderful staff at this hotel”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Fresno North
Ranked #15 of 64 Hotels in Fresno
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Wonderful staff at this hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

The staff was extremely helpful especially Chantel Fox. I stayed 2 separate nights and she was on duty both days. The first week my room had no air conditioning and she came up within minutes to check on the problem. My last stay I could not get the air conditioner to work and she again came up within a few minutes to help me. I do think the hotel needs some refurbishing. In my last stay the airconditioning would not stop. Got very cold. Also, the bathroom faucet was broke. I'm sure I would still go back. The staff is great, good food for breakfast, a good value for the price.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Korean first
Northampton, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

The positives: clean room, good breakfast, friendly staff

The negatives: when we checked in they accidentally gave us keys to a room with someone in it, SLOW elevator

Overall, we had an enjoyable stay and would return again if we were in the area

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Diana P
San Mateo, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

First, just the facts then some thoughts:

* Checkin was easy and fast, customer service very good. We had a double queen room at $75/night to start.
* Noticed the room carpet had 3-4 large/long dirt streaks - let the front desk know so I wouldn't get dinged. The room carpet was pretty dirty - walking around in socks for under 5m made them black. I've stayed in an array of dingy to upscale hotels - carpets shouldn't be this dirty even for a 2* hotel.
* Room was on the 3rd floor (and it was ~100 degrees outside) and it was very hot in the hall as well as our room (82 degrees). The night manager, Joseph (who I'll call out as being very good and customer focused!) came up to adjust the thermostat and check the A/C, but even after a couple hours we were still at 79 degrees.
* Since there were no rooms to switch to that night we decided to wait it out until morning, figuring it would slowly drop overnight as it cooled outside. Hot night but dealt with it. Joseph got us switched to a new room for the next couple nights. The new room's carpet was much much cleaner as well.
* Overall rooms and halls are showing their age, ready for a rehab. The A/C units in both rooms were really loud - I'm a fairly deep sleeper and was woken up several times when they kicked on. Bathrooms were clean.
* Only the suites have an in-room fridge, regular rooms don't.
* Fitness center has a few treadmills, no weights or exercise equipment.
* Breakfast was good, and included - they had scrambled eggs both days, then sausage or bacon, french toast or potatoes. Also had prepacked muffins, danishes, as well as fruit, yogurt and the waffle maker.
* Pool is indoor, which is nice - it's not terribly big and it's pretty old, but clean enough and there's a hot tub. Towels were available.
** During the weekend, the hotel "partially" rents the pool to a private swim business. The swim manager (outside of the pool) was giving my 5y daughter old guff about swimming near the stairs because the instructor and child client were in the area. The first time I did not say anything, the second time I told the manager "they" could stay on one side and we'd stay on the other side of the small stair area (after asking if they were even staying at the hotel and her saying she rented the pool). Fortunately, the pool was empty except for another guy who was just swimming in the deeper end. What happens if the pool has more than 5 hotel guests swimming?

Overall, it's still a decent value at $75/night, but just know you get what you pay for. The hotel is older and you could get stuck with a "less clean" room. The AC units are quite loud.

The hotel renting the part of the pool seems a bit ridiculous and dumb - yes, I get that it's probably only mid-day when departing folks have checked out and incoming folks have not checked in, but it was a lousy experience for us - as a business, I would not want my clients arguing with each other. (Apparently someone else complained before me as I didn't mention it until checkout.) The shallow end was still 3 1/2 feet high so any kids under 6 *need* to be near the stairs to play/swim comfortably- having to fight over this space with someone else is obnoxious.

While this seemed to be a good price for Fresno, given the sum of the minor headaches I'd probably try a different hotel next time. That said, this could be a bad luck one-off experience. If you aren't using the pool and just need a place to crash with some good breakfast, this place is a good deal.

Room Tip: Would advise against a 3rd floor room - the hallway had to be over 85 degrees and the first room we...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Fernley, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights while visiting family. Great location near 41 and River Park, and the Priceline price was right at $72.00/night. Indoor pool, jacuzzi, and the breakfast was much better than expected except for the powdered eggs. Very nice staff. Only complaints I have are that the carpets are dirty but I believe they are planning a remodel soon. We also asked for extra pillows and they said they were out (?) Comfy beds and spacious bathroom. The AC took a few hours but kicked in and kept us very cool in the 110 degree heat. Nice to have a fridge and microwave in the room. It is next to 41 but we did not hear the traffic.

Room Tip: Ask for the third floor, lower #ed rooms (we stayed in 302) which keeps you in an end unit away from...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank rabrassard
Stephenville, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Our stay at the Country Inn was wonderful. They had everything we needed for the four days we were staying in the Fresno area. Our grandson needed a pool to do laps and he did not miss an evening. The breakfast was filling and being able to get coffee 24 hours a day was a treat!

Room Tip: Higher floor had less traffic and essentially no noise whatsoever. Stay away from the elevator. Ve...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Gma101
Orcas Island, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

We normally stay at another hotel when visiting family in Fresno, but decided to try the property based on reviews and price. Also, the location worked out really well for us--near stores, restaurants, and CA 41 for cross-town connections. (By the way, one reviewer's comment about an awkward U-turn was really no problem.)

The hotel was more than adequate for our needs. The front desk service was prompt and friendly, and check in with our Expedia reservations was easy. The room with two queen beds was large enough so that our adult daughter could stay with us, too. The beds were comfortable and everything in the room worked. Breakfast was fairly typical hotel fare, but was good, hot, and one or two things were changed out each day. It was more than adequate to avoid going out for breakfast. There were other features in the hotel, such as a pool, but we did not use them.

The reason we gave it 4 out of 5 was that there were changes that needed to be made. For example, when we got into the room, there was an exposed bare wire near the A/C unit. When we could not get the A/C to work, we called the front desk and the man who checked us in came up immediately to secure the wire. He also explained we needed to use the thermostat on the wall, and we were all set. The bathroom was fine, but showed some age and deferred maintenance.

We will certainly consider staying at Country Inn & Suites North Fresno the next time we are in town. We paid about $80/night, and that was a good value for what we got. Thanks.

Room Tip: We were given room 324. That was on the top floor at the end of the hallway and next to the emergen...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank James D
Cypress, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Recently I had the pleasure of being a guest at this hotel. The prices were reasonable, the rooms clean and the staff was most friendly and helpful. It felt like home. I was most impressed with Cameron at the front desk, he always had a smile and was very professional and helpful. The free breakfast offered was very nice and had a variety of choices. I was also impressed with the young lady that worked tirelessly at keeping the breakfast room stocked as the many hungry guests quickly emptied the food containers, and coffee pots, ect. I will stay here again while in Fresno.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family