“Excellent Family Cooking”
Review of Lucy's Lair - CLOSED

Lucy's Lair
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Although I consider myself a fairly adventurous diner, we had never tried Ethiopian before and after coming here I wish we hadn't waited so long. Not an extensive menu, but there is a good mix of vegan and meat dishes served family style on a beautifully painted platter. We opted for the full experience and ate with our hands using the injera bread which is frankly addictive. There is a very friendly family that runs the restaurant which is clean, but sparsely decorated. It's all about the food though. A second visit a couple of weeks later was as good as the first and this will be in our regular rotation moving forward. Favorite dishes: Doro Wot and the Cabbage&Potato dish.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

I admit it, I had to overcome perceptions before finally braving-up to Ethiopian food. I am glad I did. First some misconceptions I want to clear up for anyone like me: 1. you do not have to eat with your hands (and most diners do not here); 2. You can have separate plates (though I found it much more fun to share with the Mrs.); 3. There are plenty of meat dishes on the menu; 4. The food is freshly prepared (by the owner with great pride); 5. It's not just for "hippies and vegans" (I have seen a number of professionals in my visits). The first time I went I did all vegetarian as I had come from the gym and I know, if you want to really know a good chef see if she can do vegetarian well first. I was entirely impressed. I can assure you anything lentil or leafy (as in the Kale dishes) are incredible. Think "right from the farmer's market" and prepared perfectly, often gently spiced saute. My second visit was "all meat." A dog needs its protein particularly post-workout. I went with the spicy chicken. Excellent, and unlike some Indian dishes just hot enough but not overdone. The best way to describe the food here is "subtle excellence." Nothing will overwhelm you but in the end you may well find yourself rubbing your satisfied belly saying "that was way better than I expected."

One tip for fitness buffs, the weight conscious or vegans: you are crazy not to frequent Lucy's as it's top-notch health food right in your own backyard.

1  Thank beagle47
Reviewed 11 January 2013

We went here for my birthday since I wanted to try something new to me. The restaurant is owned by a couple from Ethiopia, and their teenage children work there. It's a true family affair.

Traditionally, you eat Ethiopian food family-style and with your hands. There's a big platter in the middle of the table with mounds of different foods. It comes with their bread called injera, a spongy flat bread in strips. You tear a piece of the bread and use it to scoop up the food.

Vegetarians can be happy in this place, since there's a large selection of vegetarian/vegan dishes.

Only one of the dishes, wat, a chicken stew, was very spicy. Yummy though!

We also watched the coffee roasting ceremony, which costs extra. It takes a good 30 minutes. The woman roasts the green coffee beans, then grinds and boils them. I do not care for coffee but tasted this and while there were many grounds in the bottom of the cup, the beverage was extraordinarily smooth and delicious. If all coffee tasted like this, I'd be hooked!

Because it was my birthday, the woman owner treated me to baklava for dessert. I know that's not a traditional Ethiopian food but the fact that she treated me was special.

I would definitely recommend this place. Go with an open mind and broaden your horizons!

Reviewed 9 January 2013

Authentic Ethiopian. If you ar looking for something different, off the normal food track this is the place to go. great food, reasopnable prices. By Fresno standards it is as exotic as it gets.

Reviewed 26 February 2012

The one and only Ethiopian restaurant in Fresno! If you've never eaten Ethiopian food it may seem a little scary or exotic and so intimidating. However, it's the flavors are interesting but not overly spicy or overwhelming. It's a fun experience... you all order several dishes and it comes out on a giant soft sour spongy flat bread. All the dishes are atop this bread and you basically share. Most people eat with their hands. The beer is actually pretty good but the wine is a bit too sweet for me. It's a good place for a date or just somewhere to mix things up. As a vegetarian, I was pretty happy to have some options. All my carnivorous friends were even more stoked that there were lots of meaty options. Anyways, I really like the place and the family is pretty nice. It's not the sexiest decor or fastest service but it's interesting and cute and yummy.

1  Thank casey h