“Limited menu casual atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Brownstone Cafe

Brownstone Cafe
Ranked #112 of 370 Restaurants in Fullerton
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Seating, Waitstaff
Fullerton, California
“Limited menu casual atmosphere”
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Good soup and sandwiches. Not open for dinner. Open patio, nice atmosphere. Famous for tomato basil soup.

Visited September 2012

southern cal
“Great neighborhood breakfast spot.”
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Brownstone sits in a quad area that also features The Cellar and Stadium Tavern. It is only open for breakfast & lunch and features indoor and outdoor seating on its patio.

Service her normally is very slow; they never seem to have enough help. They will tell you it is because your food is fresh and cooked to order. Well, the quality of the food is outstanding and the portion are generous. I prefer the meat lovers skillet which is one of several on the menu. My wife prefers one of their many omelets. There french toast is quite tasty and the potatoes are delicious. I would have preferred my sourdough toast already buttered and thus melted rather than having to fight with the wrapped butter pats; minor complaint.

They do serve Bloody Mary's and Mimosas. The price is a little steep; the skillet was $11 but you get what you pay for and you won't be disappointed. Another bonus for dog lovers; dogs are welcomed on the patio.

• Visited February 2012
2 Thank exrammfan
new jersey
“I love this restaurant”
Reviewed 18 February 2012

They make the best sandwiches I choose squaw bread but you can choose from 6 different breads.They make the best tomato soup. There is outside seating and cozy inside seating. They are always busy .I have had great breakfasts there also.

• Visited February 2012
Fullerton, California
“Fabulous Tomato Basil Bisque Soup”
Reviewed 11 February 2011

This is a wonderful cafe with great food. They are famous for the Tomato Basil Bisque Soup - a must try! The Tri-tip sandwich is a family favorite. Also the dill meatballs are a big winner for our teenagers. They can have parties in the courtyard of the quaint brick building. We have also had them cater a party in our home - they are very accommodating and flexible, along with being a good value.

• Visited February 2011
Hacienda Heights, California
“Russian Roulette...”
Reviewed 20 October 2008

I hadn't tried Brownstone Cafe before, so I thought I'd check it out with my girlfriend and her parents. Menu looked appetizing and so we sat down outside.

It took our waitress 3 attempts to locate a beer they had in stock. Mind you, they only have 4 beers on the menu... We ordered our drinks and made our selections from the menu consisting of soup, salads, wraps and sandwiches. To start, we had the bruschetta which was great... and then it all went downhill.

After noshing on the Bruschetta we made our decisions and ordered the Brownstone Blast (BLTA), Villa Club sandwich, Chicken Club and a bowl of their "famous tomato basil soup."

None of our adjustments to the sandwiches seemed to get to the cook, but after walking around downtown we were hungry and didn't care. Comments came from around the table... "This soup tastes like pizza sauce... They put mushrooms in my salad (my friend is allergic)..." and then I took a bite of my chicken club. First taste, the squaw bread was great... then the rubbery texture of the chicken struck me... I put down my sandwich only to see that the CHICKEN WAS RAW in the middle. Shiny, pink and RAW. I couldn't believe it. I spit out my bite into my napkin and went to seek out the manager.

I found her inside near the dimly lit kitchen and preperation area; I told her about my sandwich and she argued with me! She said that the chicken was freshly grilled and couldn't believe the chicken in my sandwich was raw. I couldn't believe it! What happened to the customer is always right? I had a table of people who agreed the chicken was raw!

The manager took the sandwich and explained she was short staffed and offered to get me another sandwich; I cut her off... First, why was she arguing with me? Second, no way did I want to play Russian Roulette with Salmonella! I told her no thank you, that I'd just eat the fruit I'd ordered. Needless to say, this ruined our lunch experience and we were eager to leave.

Upon paying the check I had hoped for a sincere apology... instead I received an argumentative manager who left a bad taste in my mouth.

If you'd like to take your chances with food poisoning... eat here.