“Very Good”

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Fullerton
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Very Good”
Reviewed 4 February 2014

This hotel was a nice place to stay. My boyfriend and I planned a trip to Disneyland and stayed here for 5 nights it was very comfortable and clean. The shuttle to Disneyland was very easy and convenient. The only problem is the plumbing... :-/ Our toilet as well as a few other guests toilets were clogged, but other than that had a wonderful time and will return during our next Cali trip.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Cplaxfr, General Manager at The Hotel Fullerton, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you Very Good. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and Thank you for sharing your Very Good experience. Remember to look for the Crowne Plaza Fullerton - Anaheim when you return. We will be converting on May 1st and will have many new surprises. Thank you very much once again. Tommy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Chose this hotel for the weekend of the NAMM conference at the Anaheim convention center to hang with pals who were visiting and/or performing. Horrified by the rate-jacking in the immediate vicinity of the center (Econolodges and Travelodges going for just under $200 a night? PUHLEEZE!), I was thrilled to find an AAA rate of $118/nt. for this gem just three miles from the heart of the action. (HFCC even offers a free shuttle to both the convention center and Disneyland, although we chose to drive ourselves, so I can't comment on that feature.)

The exterior of the property, with its earth-toned stucco, reminds me of a LaQuinta (far and away my favorite low-cost chain), but the interior was a bit more upscale, more along the lines of a Westin. Indeed, they're converting to a Crowne Plaza on May 1st and this hotel should fit that brand quite well. The lobby and indoor common areas were furnished in lovely dark woods and jewel-toned furniture that looked sophisticated and not as generic as many hotels seem to go for, and everything seemed well-maintained. All weekend, we saw people cleaning everywhere we went and the property definitely shined from such attention to detail.

The pool was clean and huge, not bathwater warm but obviously heated (though in such a big pool, that sometimes doesn't help enough, and that was the case here). Jacuzzi was equally immaculate and wonderfully hot, though jets could've been a little more vigorous. Plenty of towels available and ample poolside furniture provided. The chaise lounges and chairs are metal, not plastic, and ashtrays are provided in the pool area. Pretty little white gazebo on the grounds in front of a patch of green grass made for a nice view from the outside dining area connected to the bar/grill.

I was thrilled that the hotel offered us the option of a smoking room, although our party of two had to share a king bed in order to take advantage of that arrangement. We were on the third floor (nowhere near the elevator), but I guess those are the only rooms designated as "smoking"--sort of a quarantine so as not to disturb nonsmoking guests. Better than not offering a smoking room at all.

Bed was comfy enough and we had a fridge and coffeemaker (but no microwave--those are apparently limited to rooms on the "executive floor"). We had a problem with our heater the first night we stayed, but they not only came and fixed it, the manager dropped by personally and delivered coupons for a free breakfast and two drinks to make up for our trouble. When I booked, I was told there would be a little sofa in the room but it was actually just an upholstered chair with table. We were happy we had a balcony, which even had its own A/C unit, but there was no furniture out there and the chair was too heave to drag, so we didn't spend much time out on the balcony (something we'd typically do given that amenity).

The website boasts that standard rooms include an amenity bag with sleep masks and lavender room spray, which was MIA in our room, though the toiletries in the bathroom were Bath & Body Works brand shampoo, conditioner and lotion (ahhhh!). Bathroom was small but the tub/shower combo was clean with good water pressure/temperature and a curved shower rod. Hairdryer on the wall functioned perfectly and the light-up, swiveling, magnifying mirror was a nice plus. Convenient to have iron and ironing board in the closet; both functioned properly. No luggage racks, but tons of drawer space. WiFi functioned flawlessly and cell service was fine. No issues with the flatscreen TV (although we barely used it).

The in-house Griswold's Bar & Grill has a great happy hour deals from 4-7pm on both drinks and appetizers. Outside happy hour, the menu is a bit on the pricey side and not terribly impressive for the price. The other onsite restaurant, RED, was undergoing renovations during our visit, so I didn't get to try it. I believe they have a complimentary reception on weeknight evenings. Free or not, breakfast was the worst meal here. First a.m., we ordered room service, which was a whopping $40 for eggs, toast, bacon (substituted a mini-danish upon request for the vegetarian), a couple mini-muffins, coffee and juice for two and it was cold when it arrived! Next a.m., we availed ourselves of the buffet, which wasn't much better; food was still cold and the only item they had that would not be included in a LaQuinta or even a DaysInn breakfast was slices of fresh fruit (pineapple, watermelon and cantaloupe).

Hotel Fullerton really won my heart when they didn't bat an eye at my request for a late checkout (1pm vs. 11am standard time, no extra charge), though we had a mix-up with our keys not working on the way back up from the pool and I had to run to the lobby to rectify. I was a little annoyed that they didn't send someone up when I asked a maid to call about the problem.

Overall, a great bargain for our two night stay and I'd definitely come here again if in the area.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank EuterpeThelo
Cplaxfr, General Manager at The Hotel Fullerton, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Good Value. Wow. What a review. Thank you. I will definitely use your comments as positive reinforcement and cause for celebration. I have taken note of your difficulties and will use to assist with further training. We do have improvements to make. Thank you again for your fair and accurate review. it will help a great deal during our journey to the top. We look forward to seeing you again next year for NAMM but would encourage you to book early as I believe the secret is getting out. Thank you so much. Tommy
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I absolutely loved this hotel! It was very inexpensive but had a very nice pool, bar, restaurant, jacuzzi, gym, and rooms! They even shuttled us FOR FREE to Disneyland which is about 10-15 minutes away. The staff was very nice and I look forward to staying here another time.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Christina B
Amazing Value. I could not have said it better. Your hired! Thank you. Reading your review makes me very happy and provides inspiration. I will share with my crew and celebrate together. Thank you very much and we look forward to hosting you on your next visit. Tommy
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I stayed here last week and was pleased with the service and amenities this hotel has to offer. Check in was pleasant, the front desk staff was nice and informative. The pool and Hot Tub are well maintained. This hotel is soo close to Disneyland and great eateries. I paid 59 bucks a night thanks to a Groupon, what a steal!! My husband just bought another Groupon offer and we plan to return this Friday.

• Stayed January 2014
Thank you What a Steal. Thank you for your very kind words We are working hard and its glad to hear that some of its working. We will see you Friday and will try to very hard to earn another Excellent Review. Thank you so much. Tommy
Durham, New Hampshire, United States
Reviewed 25 January 2014

When I walked into the hotel the I thought it was very nice. My room was not ready when I checked in so I went to Griswold and the staff there was amazing I will give them that. Food was really good and I was impressed by the service. They truly worked hard in the restaurant.
It took them an hour and a half to get my room ready past check in time. That was really hard on me because I had been traveling all day and wanted my room in to relax. Then in the morning all that was available was a 15 dollar breakfast buffet and the vending machine just happened to be out of order. So there wasn't much option then which was disappointing.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Shannan R
Cplaxfr, General Manager at The Hotel Fullerton, responded to this review, 26 January 2014
Thank you Excellent Hotel. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed our Griswold Bar and Grill. I am always happy to hear about good food quality. Thank you. I am very sorry that you had a delay at check in. We guarantee check in at 3 pm. I will review to assure we are prepared for your arrival no later than 3 pm. Thank you again for the kind words. Remember that we will be completing our conversion to become a Crowne Plaza on May 1st, 2014 so there will be many new food and beverage choices. We hope to see you again next time. Tommy
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

We got to the hotel on Thursday checked in (Front Desk was not the friendliest staff) we got to our room and it was HOT...we figured it was because the hot day do we left got back to the hotel late evening and it was still HOT...we asked for maintenance who was wonderful and stated the air conditioner was broken but they couldn't move us because they were sold out. Understandable well we got up at 8am (Friday) because the room was so HOT. We asked to change rooms but stated they couldn't because no one had checked out and we had to wait till 3pm!! They made us check out pack our stuff and they stored our luggage. I called the hotel around 11am to check if we can go back at noon and get our room before we got on to our day plans. The Front Desk was RUDE and stated it took them 2 hours to clean a room. After I informed her I work in the hotel business and know a rush room can be completed and it was an in convince for us because there air was broken. I then asked to speak to the hotel manger who was in a meeting. 15 minutes later the hotel called me stating a room was ready. I felt the problem was not something we created and yet they seemed as it was not there problem. They were rude and uncaring.

The hotel is beautiful..nice spacious room..close to Disney but defiantly not convenient. Well defiantly not stay here again.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CElasvegad
Cplaxfr, General Manager at The Hotel Fullerton, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Thanks too bad...This is the worst kind of review. Great facility and location with poor customer service. Everything you mention should have and will be in the future handled differently. I will use your comments as not only a training tool but also as a counseling tool. Poor service will not be tolerated. Please e-mail me at tommy.spencer@cpfullerton.com so that I ca learn more and make amends. I could not be more sorry but promise to make it right. Travelers reading this review please also take down my cell number. 310 935 6339. I can be reached 24 hours a day and would request anyone experiencing difficulties at my hotel to reach out to me anytime. I promise I will correct it and you will be happy. Tommy Spencer
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 18 January 2014

My mother reserved this room through Groupon, so for what we paid it was an AMAZING value.

It is right off the highway, and some rooms face it so I could see there being noise, but we were on the first floor facing into the courtyard w/ pool and it was very quiet. Some of the hotel's other patrons weren't quiet but it's not like the hotel could control that.

Check-in was uneventful. The staff didn't really have a personality, but they were knowledgable enough to do their job quickly and answer any questions. Lobby was clean and spacious.

The room was a little on the smaller side with the beds, but our family of 4 (2 parents and 2 kids (22 & 5)) fit just fine. Bathroom was fine, good water pressure. Beds were pretty comfortable, only downside is the room had two full size beds (who does that? I thought almost every hotel does two queens).

The food in their grill and the drinks at the bar were very good. We ate a late night snack in the courtyard as it was a gorgeous night and there was no one out there. The french fries are delicious, burger was amazing, and the staff member that served was very friendly.

We took the shuttle to/from Disney. We signed up the night before, and then the morning of got right onto the mini-bus. In the evening we just showed up in the same place they dropped us off and were lucky enough to catch a 14-person van returning. The driver in the evening needs to be fired, his driving was way too fast, recklas, sudden braking, and just overall dangerous (this was the evening of Monday, Jan 13th around 8:30pm). But the free shuttle was convienent.

The only issue we had with the hotel is when we arrived back from Disneyland the curtains were open, the tv was on, and some of our personal hygiene items left in the bathroom had been tossed during cleaning. I called to the front desk and was extremely impressed by Stephanie. She was professional, appoligized, offered to have the shuttle driver take us to the drug store to get new stuff (we had a car though) and then hand-delivered breakfast passes to our room to make up for the issue. As a hospitality major and a travel agent I would love to have someone like that work for my hotel in the future.

The hotel overall was very nice, convienent for a Disneyland trip, and a great value. If it wasn't for the shuttle driver and the issue with housekeeping they'd get 5 stars. My family and I would definately return to this hotel again for another Disneyland trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a room courtyard or pool facing... we were in 116 and it was rather quiet.