“Staff needs to be trained better”

The Hotel Fullerton
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Fullerton
San Diego, California
“Staff needs to be trained better”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I stayed the night of the 15th to the 16th. I got a really good deal on kayak that is why I chose to book here. I checked in to the hotel at 3:20pm and my room was not ready. The agent who checked me in was not really making conversation with me. I was not told about how the WIFI works even though that was supposedly included in the rate. I was not told about the shuttle services that were complimentary I was told about nothing. He did not even ask me if I had any questions. I did not catch his name because their darn name tags had such small font. He checked me in anyway though and said that it would take 10 more minutes for my room to be ready and I said okay and I made my way slowly to my room. I do work in the hospitality industry and I do understand that sometimes we do get late check outs and it does take a while for rooms to be ready on those busy days but I waited 10minutes for the room to finish up and the housekeeper still has not made the bed she tells me 10 more minutes and now I am a little frustrated because I do not want to keep being misled. So I go back to the front desk and wait in line behind 2 people and when there are 4 agents at the front desk not doing anything just not even acknowledging me. It's kind of like they did not care. I just felt the service of the agents to be very cold and just not saying "hello". So I make it to the front of the line and a new agent helps me. She was an older lady with glasses and she said sorry that my room was not ready but not really doing anything to fix the problem because now it is well after 3pm and I still am not in my room. She tells me 10 more minutes and then the original agent who helped me comes back and asks me your room still isn’t ready? He finally does something proactive in checking a room for me that is way closer to the main lobby and facing the pool.

So I get up to the room and it is nice and cold but there are no towels in my room I call down for towels it takes over 30minutes to get them. The only employee that I found to be nice was the night auditor. She greeted me and my guests back upon our return to the hotel round 2am. Everyone else just gave us the cold shoulder like they were not happy to be there. We went to the pool the next day at around 9am and the hot tub was not warm and the jets were not working there was another guest in the tub who agreed and we tried to flag down someone to help. Eventually a housekeeper came out and refilled the towels and tried to check out the jets and the temp of the hot tub. She told us that they drained the tub this morning and to wait for it to warm up. We then asked her to check out the jets and over the radio she requested maintenance who told her the same story and not to call her again about it so rudely. She was doing a great job in helping us. So I really feel bad for her in the way that she was treated. The hot tub never got warm which was disappointing. Also on the website it said that there was free breakfast and there was not. We spoke to another patron of the hotel and he was just as disappointed about it as well but he kind of made a bigger fuss that the breakfast was free on the site and he got it. I mean me and my friends should have made a fuss as well because that was false advertising.

I chose this hotel because it seemed the most decent in the area in comparison to Days Inn and Best Westerns. The room was decent but the service was horrible. I probably will not stay here ever again and choose a hotel that is a little farther with better employees. I mean really there are 4 of you at the desk and you can’t help the one other person in line they were not even doing anything. Not to mention that there was no urgency to answer phones at the desk when the phone is ringing. It was just sad. Poor service all together.

Room Tip: "breakfast is not free" "poor service" "free parking"
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Cplaxfr, General Manager at The Hotel Fullerton, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
"Staff needs to be better trained" I cannot thank you enough. The problem is this. The staff is very well trained and as you point out the hotel is providing adequate resources to staff 4 desk agents. This type of service is not acceptable. I will use your review to create change TODAY! I have witnessed and received this type of service myself and it will not be tolerated. Anyone receiving this type of service at our hotel please contact me on my cell right away - 24 hours a day. 310 935 6339. Tommy Thanks "Staff needs to be better trained".

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Sparks, Nevada
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We visit Disneyland at least once a year with four generations of family ages 4 years to 78 years, and are Annual Passholders. The last of our 4 kids moved out, so this is the first vacation my husband and I have taken without kids in 20 years. We were looking for a hotel that could give us a less "frantic" experience than what we've had at the hotels along Disneyland row.

The front desk staff, although busy and training a newer employee, was helpful and friendly, printing out a map for us to follow to a restaurant that we wanted to try.

Our room was very neat and clean and was ready for us when we arrived.
After we checked into our room, we attempted to get all of our electronics connected to the free wifi, but experienced spotty reception. We had several employees trying to help. Even the maintenance guy knocked on our door to try and help. Very impressive. The wifi never quite worked well for us in our room. Imagine having to talk to each other instead of answering emails during our free time! Ha!

Off to Disneyland we went in their free shuttle. All of the shuttle drivers were the BEST. They were friendly and knew of many things you might want to do in the area...not just Disneyland. For example, if your destination was further than what their area covered, they could drop you off at whichever bus or train station would take you where you wanted to go. They also explained how to transfer, if needed, and how to get back.

Our room faced the freeway but the noise that others noticed never bothered us. The bed was comfy and we slept fine. This hotel is an excellent place to stay. We enjoyed it so much that we've already booked our return trip in September with them.

Thank you to every employee at this hotel. It takes a team to make it work. See you in September!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Cplaxfr, General Manager at The Hotel Fullerton, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
"Book This Hotel Now!". Thank you, Thank you, and Thank you. Your review is fantastic to read and even more fun to share. We will be even better when you return in September and cannot wait for the opportunity to impress. I cannot thank you enough for the top score. It is not something we take lightly and will promise to work even harder to earn your top score again upon your return. BTW - The carpet installers cut through a fiber optic internet line during your stay that killed our internet. I am very sorry about that. I know how important it is to stay connected. There should be no internet problems when you return. Thank you again "Book this hotel now!" We will see you in September and will work hard to earn a five again. Thanks Tommy
Harrisville
Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a family vacation. The free breakfast was nice and the front desk helpful, but was very run down. The rooms air conditioner was broken upon arrival and after they fixed it it still was not running right. The fridge is leaking. The fitness room has a weight machine but is not working. They have a free shuttle with friendly drivers but it books fast so if you don't book the previous day you won't be going to Disney very early. Also they are remodeling the rooms in my hall except for mine so a afternoon nap was completely impossible due to noise. Would not stay again.

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank tmannnn22
Cplaxfr, General Manager at The Hotel Fullerton, responded to this review, 15 March 2014
"Broken" When I read reviews like this I wonder if there could be a mistake. I am very sorry that you had the experiences you did but rundown does not at all accurately describe us. I respect your opinion very much but would simply ask travelers reading this review to take a look at our pictures, web page and other resources to make your own assessment. You may just be pleasantly surprised. Thank you for the comments about the helpful staff. This is always good to hear. Complimentary shuttles to Disney do indeed fill fast. If you’re going to Disney sign up early and please be on time. Thanks again "broken" and I am sorry. We are making some adjustments to become a Crowne Plaza opening on May 1st. Will you return and give me a second chance to impress please? Send me an e-mail at tommy.spencer@cpfullerton.com and I will make the arrangements personally. Thanks and I hope to see you soon.
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Had a little family gathering here. The rooms are nice but a little small, comfortable beds and nice shower. We stayed in a tower room on the back with a "balcony" which was very small. Also the lights from the parking lot were extremely bright all night and had to keep blackout curtains closed. The walls are very thin and the room next to us was very loud all night on our second night, thought they were in the room with us! Although the hotel is located in an industrial area it is within a few miles of Disneyland and other attractions (I believe they also have a shuttle though we did not use). They pool is decent and there is a very nice outside courtyard area off the bar. Also liked the bar, nice sitting area and lots of TVs! The staff was very pleasant and helpful. A very good price for what you get - I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose a Tower Room facing courtyard
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Dlramsdell
Cplaxfr, General Manager at The Hotel Fullerton, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
"Great Value" Thank you for taking the time to share, thank you for the kind recommendation and thank you for recognizing our crew. We will continue to work hard and appreciate your kind words very much. I will investigate the back lights. There is always an answer and a bright light on a moon lite balcony just does not work for me. I will find an answer to preserve this experience. Thank you for mentioning our Griswold Bar. This as you can imagine is a very popular spot. Near the pool, near the courtyard, loaded with large screen TVs and of course all the fun you can handle. We are just a few miles from Disney and indeed provide complimentary transportation within 7 miles. Go to Disney, see a movie or simply get a free ride to one of Downtown Fullerton's many incredible restaurants. No need to drive when staying here. Thank you “Great Value” for everything and we will see you next time as the Crowne Plaza Fullerton-Anaheim. Tommy
Salinas, California
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

When we got there we had a problem someone at the hotel cancelled our reservation I called my travel agent and had my confirmation number. The receptionist had told me to comeback around 2 when someone else could help me I refused because I was scared that they would give all the rooms away. The 2 receptionist were very rude especially Araceli she had an attitude and was just rude. After getting our reservation all set the receptionist told me I couldn't check in until 3pm I arrived at noon the manager over heard her tell me that and said if they had rooms available to go ahead check me in..very nice manager he was very helpful. After a few hiccups I was able to enjoy the hotel the room was clean and spacious.The pool was a clean and decent size we would really consider this hotel again it is a few miles from Disney but we didn't mind the drive

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Ruby S
Cplaxfr, General Manager at The Hotel Fullerton, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
"Family Hotel" Thank you for your kind review. I am happy to report that this problem is resolved. If you have a reservation, arrive early and we have an empty room we will accommodate your check in without question. We understand how unpredictable travel can be and are here to accommodate. If any guest experiences a similar problem please feel free to contact me on my cell 24 hours a day for an immediate solution. 310 935 6339. Thank you "Family Hotel" for your support. Look for the Crowne Plaza Fullerton-Anaheim when you return where we look forward to checking you in any time of the day. Tommy
Palm Desert, California
Reviewed 20 February 2014

This past Christmas we wanted to take a family trip to Disneyland. Pricing hotels in & around the park were pricy!! Accidently, I came across "The Hotel Fullerton." After talking to the VERY nice & courteous front desk woman we decided to book with them. Not only did she reserve our room but also took care of getting us extra tickets to BOTH Disney Theme Parks at a low rate and had them delivered to our room upon arrival. Checking in was EASY & FAST. We even got an unexpected room upgrade! Shuttle to the parks was fast and reliable throughout the day & evening (Just remember to book em with front desk!) Also, our family received free breakfasts that were actually very tasty & convenient before leaving each morning! The internet service was "Lagging" but the free "Starbucks" in the rooms & "Bath & Body Works" toiletries more than made up for it! Housekeeping was also THE BEST AROUND!!! In fact so nice, we were brought warm fresh towels & an extra blanket on Christmas Day by them wearing "Santa Hats" after getting back from Disneyland ~ which put a smile on all our faces!! The Staff catered to my every request....LoL They made our Christmas better than I ever imagined! Looking back now, their prices are MOST DEFINATELY the lowest around for all the services they provided!! We will DEFINATELY be booking with them again in the future!!!! THANK YOU ALL AT "THE HOTEL FULLERTON" ~ KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!

Room Tip: Top floors are the safest ~ They can only be accessed by your room key card in each elevator!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Mia F
Cplaxfr, General Manager at The Hotel Fullerton, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
"Great Place for Families" You really know how to make our day! Thanks a Million! We appreciate you review very much. I will print and share it with my entire team right away. Your review is fantastic and very nice to read. We will continue to strive for your satisfaction and will shoot for a repeat performance when you return. Remember to look for the Crowne Plaza Fullerton-Anaheim. Anyone wanting to book The Hotel Fullerton after May 1st should look for the Crowne Plaza Fullerton-Anaheim instead. Thanks again "Great Place for Families" and remember to try our sparkling pool, hot tub and of course our full service Bar Griswold's when you return. Tommy
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We just had a great trip to Disneyland. The prices of the hotels directly across the street from Disney, were expensive. Not only were the regular rates really reasonable, but they had a special on Groupon, which could not be beat!
The hotel was very clean and the staff was friendly, The rooms were a nice size with comfortable beds and super cozy pillows. They have dining (with good selections) right in the hotel and a heated pool. This hotel offers shuttle service to and from Disney, which is only a little over 3 miles away. We had no complaints about this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Cplaxfr, General Manager at The Hotel Fullerton, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
"A great hotel for Disneyland" I cannot thank you enough for this review. We will share and celebrate your review with our entire crew. It's an honor to receive your highest score. We will continue to grow and will strive to impress again and again.Thank you. remember to look for the Crowne Plaza Fullerton-Anaheim when you return. We launch on May 1st. Thank you again "A Great Hotel for Disneyland!". We really do appreciate your business and your review. Have a great Spring and we will see you next time! Tommy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fullerton
Fullerton Marriott at California State University
Ayres Hotel Anaheim
#6 of 118 in Anaheim
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,037 reviews
Quality Inn Placentia - Anaheim

Been to The Hotel Fullerton? Share your experiences!