“Affordable Luxury”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Garberville
Fort Bragg, California
“Affordable Luxury”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

We spent our Anniversary here in April. Upon arrival received a complimentary upgrade, as well as a half-liter of champagne. The staff was attentive and happy. The room was very comfortable with a lovely view of the stone bridge over the river. Flowers galore were blooming. Enjoyed the bikes and walking opportunities. Patio access was indirect due to construction, but we had no noise and it didn't really detract from the experience.

Dining: Bar service in the late-afternoon was a bit slow. Dinner was excellent with excellent service. I loved the scallops appetizer which served as my meal. Breakfast was weak--undercooked egg and extremely slow service.

Room Tip: Go for the river view!
1 Thank lizardl3gs
DOSMManager, Director of Sales at Benbow Historic Inn, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our Historic Inn. Many guests agree that spring is one of the best times of year to visit Benbow. Spring at the resort is also a training period for many new staff members preparing for the busy summer season ahead. From time to time we fall short of our goals - and that appeared to be the case in this instance. We're sorry that your service in the lounge and at breakfast was a bit slow - we will continue to work on our velocity. We hope that your overall experience was positive and that you will return to Benbow in the spring for many anniversaries to come!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Montrose, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

What an absolute gem of a hotel, my wife and I loved our short stay at the Benbow. We had one of the terrace rooms at the rear of the hotel with a lovely view of the garden and bridge, some work on the patio meant a little detour into the main building but that wasn't an issue. Our room was spacious with a very comfortble bed and, I think, an updated bathroom.
We arrived later than expected after the drive up CA1 and the restaurant was just closing, however they were more than happy to serve us a snack with wine which was very much appreciated! We had dinner there the following evening, the food was fantastic with a great selection of wines to choose from.At breakfast there is a super choice and all the dishes we tried were very tasty and set us up nicley for the day.
The Benbow is a great base from which to tour this part of California, The Avenue of the Giants, Ferndale, Eureka, Trinidad etc..
We really enjoyed our little break at the Benbow, just wish it had been longer!

1 Thank Alan S
Thank you so much for your review. We're pleased that your Benbow experience prompted your kind comments. Our staff works hard to provide a high level of personalized service and it appeared from your review that we were spot on. We look forward to your return.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Beautiful location, historic hotel, lovely grounds. I was expecting a better experience than I received on this trip. Visited area to run Ave of Giants Half marathon- and experience with staff on phone in booking room was great - given the price, and reviews I read- I expected exceptional service as well. Room was lovely - very small - but given historic nature, was clean and just fine. Beautiful views in 3rd floor corner- but One crank window was broken so could not keep it closed which given it had no screen, I hoped would not allow any critters to join me in the night...
Where things went badly was the service I received in the afternoon on the patio- given it was a beautiful day & they offer a free afternoon snack of tea & cookie/scones- I sat outside at a table & read a book. After about 15-20 minutes, a waiter came out & asked if I wanted anything- I asked for a glass of wine and asked if they served food out there yet...he took my wine order & said he would return with a menu. Instead, I had the bartender deliver my drink along with a lecture- apparantly the hotel was short staffed and he could not be walking the extra 30 feet to my table from this point on- and if I want food, I'd have to wait til 5pm (40 min wait) and sit at the tables closer to the building. He had an attitude and made me feel like I was really putting him out. 30 minutes later, I moved to the closer designated tables, and other guests also filled the other 3 outdoor tables near me..I watched as all other tables were greeted, fetched water and drink orders taken, watched as they received menus and I sat at my table- with not even an acknowledgement that I was there. Finally after 25 minutes, I went into the hotel and asked the bartender for a menu, and asked for service- he made me wait while he tended to others in front of him, and seemed put out ...again. I watched as the waitress came out & served drinks and took food orders - no word to me still and could not get her attention either. After45 minutes sitting there- I had to return inside and ask to close out my one drink as I seemed to not be able to be served. the bartender snapped- "I told her! - well, what do you want, I will get it for you!?" I just told him to forget it, and sadly returned to my room - dinnerless in the middle of nowhere with no immediate options for food. I told the manager the next day who offered to buy me dinner that night...but honestly, It was never about the money- it was about how they made me feel..I can afford to pay for my own dinner- but given these would be the same people serving me the next night, I opted to check out early and go somewhere where the staff seemed to motivated to treat the guests a lot better than I was that day...

Room Tip: No elevator, so ask which floor your room might be on in case you can't hike up & down all t...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank nancy m
DOSMManager, Owner at Benbow Historic Inn, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
We appreciate your candid review and are sorry for the service you did not receive. There has recently been some confusion on outside dining. Now that the construction on our Terrace is complete, we will be serving on the outside dining restaurant beginning Saturday, May 24th, of course weather & wind permitting. This popular area was under total construction this past season with replacement of the floor (which is also the roof of the Terrace Rooms). This area now has beautiful stamped concrete with the same original design which is on our front porch and new lighting. We were not understaffed that day / evening, we were just not staffed or set up to serve outside dining on the main terrace. We have five tables which are cocktail lounge tables along the lounge & lobby outside and we were serving on those tables. We were also serving dinner in the lounge and the dining room that evening. We apologize that our staff ignored you and your desire to have dinner. We have addressed your unfortunate situation with our Director of Food & Beverage. He counseled both the bartender and server with whom you had the unsatisfactory situation. I can personally assure you this is not the Benbow Historic Inn’s typical service - and we are sorry that we made you feel like you were not welcome. We stress to our staff that we are in the hospitality business, and in this case we failed. We do hope you try us again and give us the chance to show that Benbow Historic Inn can provide outstanding hospitality.
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

We celebrated my mother's 80th birthday over Mother's Day weekend at Benbow and the staff was absolutely wonderful. They treated my mother as if she were their own. The dining was perfect, the tea and scones were perfect, the Cosmos in the bar (thanks, Michael!) were perfect. I can't find a thing to complain about and I've been very thorough in my examination. It was a terrific escape from my high pressure life and we're committed to making a weekend at Benbow an annual event....but I don't think I can wait that long.

Room Tip: Rooms to the west are just a little bit further from the freeway, but you'll be feeling so Zen...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
DOSMManager, Director of Sales at Benbow Historic Inn, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
On behalf of our entire staff, thank you for your kind words. We're delighted that you and your mother were able to join us on Mother's Day. Our team takes great pride in their service and we all strive to create memorable, unbelievable experiences for our guests. All guest reviews are shared weekly at our staff meetings, and I can assure you that your review will create "miles of smiles" among our staff. We all look forward to your return - hopefully in the near future!
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

Celebrating a birthday was the perfect excuse to get away from the city and drive up to Benbow Inn for the weekend. I love historic hotels with charm and character and the Inn does not disappoint. Since it was for my birthday, there was a half-bottle of champagne chilling in our room when we arrived – very nice touch! The Benbow Inn is a place to slow down and relax, enjoy delicious meals in the dining room, take long walks through the tall redwoods, meet someone new over afternoon tea and scones, stop for a moment and work on the puzzle by the fire, and enjoy a martini on the deck. It was so gorgeous sitting on the veranda that one night, we simply ordered dinner there instead of going to the dining room. We will be back!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
DOSMManager, Director of Sales at Benbow Historic Inn, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
We're delighted you celebrated your birthday with us. Many of our guests from the bay area prefer the Benbow Historic Inn experience to the hustle and bustle of larger chain hotels & resorts. We hope you will return this summer and enjoy live performances and dinner under the stars on our outdoor terrace.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

We had a great time at Benbow; even though we only spent one night there we loved it. The building and rooms are well maintained in their historic state. The room was large and spacious with a modernized bathroom. The lobby area was the perfect place to explore and talk to other guests. We also had a great meal in the restaurant. Our server was very helpful and accommodating and the food, although pricy, was delicious. Definitely recommend this great inn if you are in the area - we will definitely be back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for the great review. Hopefully you will have the chance to spend more time with us during your next visit. Our lobby continues to be a favorite with our guests, especially during our daily high tea and scone service. We look forward to your return.
British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

Came here on a motorcycle trip. Lovely historic inn. Tiny rooms and bathrooms but oozing history, charm and friendliness. Grounds are gorgeous. Updates underway. Large common area with reading materials, puzzles, games. Guests congregated. Spent a few hours at a puzzle, drinking a delicious gin and tonic, with a stranger. I love this kind of experience. Dinner in the bar with locals, guests, a potpourri of folks. Only slight disappointment- breakfast- in the dining room. Beautiful space. Expensive omelet that was only fair. Still would head back there, no questions asked.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
We appreciate your comments. We hope you can join us for the annual Redwood Run motorcycle event June 13-15.We're pleased that you also enjoyed our lounge - it's quite the spot during our weekday happy hour. Hope to see you soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Garberville
BEST WESTERN PLUS Humboldt House Inn
The Shelter Cove Oceanfront Inn
Dean Creek Resort
Dean Creek Resort
#1 of 1 in Redway
Humboldt Redwoods Inn
Humboldt Redwoods Inn
#1 of 1 in Garberville

Been to Benbow Historic Inn? Share your experiences!