“A good hotel with reliable service”

Hyatt Regency Orange County
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Garden Grove
GreenLeadersSilver level
Brisbane, Australia
“A good hotel with reliable service”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

This is my second stay at the Hyatt Orange County. I previously stayed here prior to the renovations and the hotel really looks great. I was attending a conference and booked a VIP Family Suite which was comfortable. The king bed was fantastic.

This is really a family hotel with most guests here for Disneyland I suspect. The restaurants are okay - not great for such a large hotel. Room service closes late evening which surprised me. The pool and whirlpool are fine.

The staff here are excellent. I had a few problems with the room safe and each time the staff were more than helpful. This hotel is about a 20 minute walk to the convention centre and 30-35 minute walk to Disneyland. The shuttle service to Disneyland leaves every half hour.

The wireless internet was very slow at times and while the daily charge is not excessive it continually amazes me that the larger chain hotels charge for internet these days when the smaller boutique hotels rarely do.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing North.
1 Thank MarkLaurence
nicole_gravelle, Marketing Manager at Hyatt Regency Orange County, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
Thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency Orange County once again! We are so happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed the hotel, VIP Family Suite, and staff’s service. We apologize for any inconveniences that you experienced with your internet, and we thank you for letting us know. Thank you for visiting us from Australia, and we hope you will come back and visit us again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (526)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Ipswich, Australia
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I stayed here for five nights - part pleasure and for a conference as well. The hotel was clean and smart except would like to be able to make a cup of tea in the room. It was an easy 12 min flat walk to Anaheim Conference Centre - very safe at night coming home too. The Hyatt Disney shuttle bus was fabulous and was always on time (10min to Disney) but still an easy walk as I did walk home one afternoon. A sports bar half way home was a great stop along the way for a beer and a chat with some locals. Plenty of eating places nearby and a Target right across the street if you need supplies. The staff were always friendly and could not do enough for you.

1 Thank Gerry G
nicole_gravelle, Marketing Manager at Hyatt Regency Orange County, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Thank you for providing great feedback on your stay with us! We are glad that you enjoyed the Disneyland shuttle service, staff, and location of the hotel to nearby restaurants and attractions. Thank you for staying with us, and we hope you will come back and visit us again – whether for business or for pleasure!
Reviewed 22 March 2012

After much debate between this property and another located closer to the park I decided to book with the Hyatt and couldn't have been happier. This was our 4th time to Disneyland but the first time my son and I have visited without my husband. I felt safe and most comfortable staying at this hotel. I loved the family friendly lobby lounge for dinner and a much needed glass of wine at the end of a busy Disney day. Most Disneyland properties are tired and worn but this hotel is fresh and vibrant. The private shuttle was fantastic and always on time and if the distance of this property to the park is of a concern to you....let me say that you could not walk to most area hotels in the time it took to drive back in comfort to the Hyatt. We bit the bullet and stayed at the Grand Californian on our last visit and at 3 times the price of the Hyatt it didn't even come close! So if you are looking for a high end full service hotel in the Disneyland area I highly recommend this property!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank cjay0121
nicole_gravelle, Marketing Manager at Hyatt Regency Orange County, responded to this review, 23 March 2012
Thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency OC during your recent trip to Disneyland! We are so glad to hear that you and your son enjoyed hotel lobby, dining options, and shuttle service to Disneyland. Thank you for recommending out hotel to other travelers, and we hope you will come back and visit us again soon!
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed 20 March 2012

I used a hotel stay certificate I got with a cruise package to book my stay at the Hyatt Regency Orange County. My sister and I drove over from AZ for WonderCon at the Anaheim Convention Center over the weekend. We got in early evening and decided to stay in as the weather was turning nasty. We valet parked the car and then checked in. Very nice folks at all points downstairs- everyone was really friendly. Hotel has a beautiful soaring atrium that goes from the lobby to the roof level with glass all the way up. Very airy and open feeling.
The OCBrewhouse downstairs was our dining choice and what a great decision! We did apps for dinner- chicken wings and fried green beans. Our waitress recommended the Tangerine Ale from Eureka which was on draft and it was a perfect crispy tasty brew for a wintery night. So good- I had 2!
We had a double room with two queen beds. Beautiful furnishings and amaziningly comfortable bedding though my sister complained the bed was a little high for her. My only issue- with so many families staying here it would be nice if they included a small fridge in the room for snacks and leftovers.
Toiletries were nicer than usual hotel fare- loved the massagey bath soap. LOTS of water pressure and plenty of hot water and a toilet with jet engine force flushing- shut the lid when you flush!

Second night we did full dinner at the brew pub again. Sis had a burger, I did the fish and chips. We had the same server and she even remembered our names. I love good service and the Hyatt served that up in droves.
Checking out on Monday morning we both told each other we would come back in a heartbeat.
Hotel is very close to the parks and convention center. Plenty of cabs on hand if you don't want to drive. Coco's restaurant across the street along with Outback and Oggi brewhouse for nearby dining options. Joe's Crabshack half a block away.
Convenient, friendly and beautiful- do not hesitate to book here for business or pleasure!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the street or parking lot as rooms facing the lobby get noise that funnels...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kate B
nicole_gravelle, Marketing Manager at Hyatt Regency Orange County, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Thank you for your wonderful review of the hotel! We are so glad that you and your sister enjoyed the hotel staff, OC Brewhouse, and guest room. Thank you for visiting us from Arizona, and we hope you will come back and visit us again – whether for business or for pleasure!
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed 20 March 2012

I stayed at the hotel on business and I know the area. The grounds are nice and the hotel is well maintained. However, I encountered one problem - the valet. When I arrived to check in the valet was insistent on letting me have the key to my vehicle and said I could park outside while I checked in. It took me exactly 3 minutes to check in. When I returned to get my car out front, the valet had already taken it. The funny thing is that he held out his hand for a tip when one of the other valet's had to flag him down to return the vehicle to me. Not a good first impression!

In the future I will stay at other nearby hotels that at least have some reserved parking out front that allows you the ability to check in without first having your car highjacked by a valet

Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay with us. We are truly sorry for any inconvenience that you experienced at your arrival. That is not the level of customer service that we expect our guests to receive, and we thank you for letting us know. Thank you for choosing the Hyatt, and we hope that you will give us another chance to improve your opinion of the hotel.
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 18 March 2012

We booked this hotel last minute, as we were planing to stay in LA, and drive into Disney for one day. We are SO glad we booked the Hyatt Orange County.

This hotel was so good, I would highly recommend it, and would come back in a heart beat.

PRICES & BOOKING
First, the prices are excellent, and from what I saw in the area, this is by far the nicest hotel with the best value.

Mark at the front desk was so great, and we really felt that we could go to him with requests, and he would take care of it, and help out. The staff really made us feel welcomed.

FOOD OPTIONS & DINING
We had a package that included breakfast, which was an amazing buffet with great variety and great food quality (you know how sometimes buffets can get a bit tired?). This was excellent. There is also a Starbucks in the lobby, if you didn't go the restaurant route. They were both open by 6:30 a.m., and perhaps the Starbucks opens early.

On the note of dining, there is also a great Sandwich shop located adjacent to the Starbucks. For dinner at Disney one night we loaded a bag of their delisicious and fresh sandwiches, salads, and marinated olives, and ate a great dinner while waiting for a show to begin.

The breakfast buffet also caters very nicely to Disney days - after breakfast they offer coffee and tea "to go" for the parents, and a snack of "Cheddar Penguins" to the kids. Such a nice touch.

LOBBY & ROOMS
The hotel itself seems very new, with everything well maintained and clean. The lobby is spacious with lots of seating for an early morning coffee or to read the paper.

The rooms are not overly spacious, but are fine, and they too are well cleaned and maintained. I am not a fan of the scent of the Portico bath products, but I do like that the Hyatts are now giving tooth paste. A small, but nice touch.

POOL
There is a pool and hot tub on site, with plenty of umbrellas and loungers, and towels available. This is a simple space, but perfect for relaxing after a crazy day at disney.

SHUTTLE
The shuttle is an excellent option - $4 per adult (the little kids are free) and you can go back and forth as much as you want in the day. The trip takes about 15 minutes for the whole route, and they drop you at a fairly good location (there is a bit of walking). We definitely used this the day we did Disney Parks.

DISNEY DESK
This is yet another great feature of this hotel. We bought our tickets, asked questions, and really benefitted from having this service right in the hotel. We also booked a Disney package, where we got a $100 Disney voucher (for about $78 - although it was worked into the room price) and we could use it right on the purchase of our tickets. Brilliant!

DISNEY & DOWNTOWN DISNEY
See my seperate review and tips, but this location is in perfect proximity. I also highly recommend Downtown Disney for shopping, souveniers, and dining. We did not waste our time there on the days that we had park tickets, as you can get into Downtown Disney for free, and even park for free for three hours. Our kids just loved the Lego store, and the Disney Store, and we did dinner and lunch there on two seperate days.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Disney - the fireworks at night from room 1514 were spectacular! We really enj...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank AJCM
nicole_gravelle, Marketing Manager at Hyatt Regency Orange County, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Thank you for your wonderful review of the hotel! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed the TusCA breakfast buffet, shuttle service to Disneyland, and lobby. Thank you for recommending our hotel to other travelers, and we hope you will come back and visit us again soon!
Hoboken, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 March 2012

My company is located in the Orange area and I visit approx one week, once a month. For the past 4 years, I have been staying at the Doubletree on City Drive. While not great, I endured its shortcomings due to habit, proximity to my office, the rate I was able to negotiate with a manager and the overall great and friendly staff. In the past 6 months or so, there has clearly been a change in management and the ultimate result was that I had to find another hotel in the area.

In the middle of my most recent scheduled 4 night stay at the Doubletree, I canceled my reservation after 1 night and was lucky to get in for the remaining time at the Hyatt. After this stay, I can say that I will NEVER be back to the Doubletree. Hyatt has earned and won my business and loyalty in my short 3 night stay. I simply cannot say enough wonderful things about this property!

Everything about this hotel is fantastic. The lobby makes a great first impression and from there, it only gets better. Most importantly, the staff - front desk, concierge, restaurant wait staff, room service servers, corporate sales, etc. - are all first rate. It has been ages since I've stayed at a hotel where the entire staff seems to enjoy their jobs; when they do, it makes all the difference in their attitudes and has a positive impact on the guest's stay. I really cannot say enough wonderful things about every staff member I encountered on this trip. Every interaction with them simply enhanced the value of my visit.

Now, onto the rooms. One word: phenomenal! First and foremost, they are immaculate (a clean room is a dealbreaker for me). Second, they have been upgraded and are sleek and modern. One reviewer mentioned that the bathroom faucets in the shower and sink weren't updated and they weren't...but it is a tiny 'con' in comparison to all the 'pros' this place has going for them They are certainly a business traveler's dream because at every turn, there is an outlet. To have multiple choices on where to plug in all your electronics is a road warrior's dream come true :) The wireless service works great and is very reliable.

Now, onto location. As a solo business traveler, my preference is to stay as far away from Disney properties as possible (hence, another reason I put up with Doubletree). I was very pleasantly surprised to see that while this hotel did have its fair share of Disney visitors, the hotel was not overrun with them (as some hotels in the area are). At the Hyatt Regency OC, they seem to strike the perfect balance between business and family travelers. This is definitely no small feat and I credit the incredible management and staff with having a huge contribution towards this success. They have perfected the flair of being a large hotel with all the corresponding amenities while providing guests with very personalized service - Disney and business alike.

I have only one regret...and that is that I didn't make the switch to the Hyatt sooner. However, despite that regret, I will now be looking forward to my visits to the office. I will be very happy to consider this property my home away from home.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Thank you so much for giving us a try! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed the hotel staff, lobby, and guest rooms. Thank you for your wonderful review of the hotel, and we look forward to welcoming you back as our guest!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Garden Grove
Anaheim Marriott
#28 of 118 in Anaheim
Hyatt Place at Anaheim Resort/Convention Center
Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim Resort – Convention Center

Been to Hyatt Regency Orange County? Share your experiences!