Stayed at the hotel March 8 -12 with my husband and 2 children. We stayed in a VIP Kids Suite in the North Tower.
We knew ahead of time that the hotel was under renovation (it is in big bold letters when booking through the Hyatt site) -and we also knew that the VIP Kids Suites had already been renovated and were in the North Tower (quieter).
The Suite is very large and makes great use of the 750 square feet. Comes fully equipped with a microwave and mini-fridge - great for travelling families. The kids room has bunk beds with a twin size bed on the top and full on the bottom.
Warning to parents with smaller children (ours are age 3 1/2) the ladder to the top bunk is steep and younger kids may be afraid to go up and down. Also, the mattress is a little smaller than the bunk area, so if your child roll around alot, they may get "stuck" in-between the mattress and railing. Probably not a problem for older kids, but would have liked this information in advance. Luckily we had brought a small air mattress just in case.
The hotel lobby was under major renovation and non-existant. The restaurant, bar and check in area are all in temporary places. Check in was fine, no problems there. I did see rather lengthy lines at times, but now when we checked in (11am)
The hotel restaurant and bar have been located to what look like banquet or meeting rooms. Don't go there expecting it to look like a "restaurant', but you can expect good service and good food.
When we asked the concierge about the restaurant - we were told they only served "bar food". Please be aware that this is NOT true. They have a full dinner menu that you can order from. We only learned this when we actually went to the restaurant and sat down to eat. I think hotel employees (especially the concierge) should be up to date on what the hotel restaurant does and does not serve.
Also a bonus for families - kids eat free at the hotel restaurant (with each adult entree). This was great, especially when coming back from a long day at Disney and not wanting to go anywhere else. We were told this was also true if you ordered room service - bonus!
As for the Disney Shuttle - it was great. Always left on time and was never crowded. Sometimes we felt like we had our own personal shuttle! Takes about 10 - 15 minutes to get to Disney and it stops at 2 other hotels on they way to Disney (didn't know that before we got there, not that it was a huge deal).
A few nitpicky things - Parking is a rip off, $14 to self park and $19 to valet? Really Hyatt? Just totally annoying, and left me feeling nickel and dimed. Also the wireless internet is not free - so 2008. I can't believe Hyatt is still charging for internet.
Overall, It was a great stay, I would definitely come back after the renovations - I expect that the hotel and service at that time will be top notch. Right now, in the midst of a reno, things may be a little off kilter - but with great rates, and if you go in knowing what to expect - you can have a fabulous stay!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- When it comes to hotels near Disneyland, Hyatt Regency Orange County is the ultimate destination for your getaway or vacation. Located just 1.4 miles from the Disneyland® Resort, our luxury hotel near Anaheim has shuttle service available to and from the parks, and is in close proximity to Angel Stadium, the Honda Center, world-famous beaches and many other Orange County attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays, Booking.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Hyatt Regency Orange County reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hyatt Regency Orange County Hotel Garden Grove
- Hyatt Garden Grove
- Hyatt Regency Garden Grove
- Hyatt Regency Orange County Garden Grove