“Very good hotel but problems with water”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim-Main Gate Area
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Garden Grove
Reviewed 4 June 2014

The water was shut off from 3pm to 7pm on a weekday. We were told it was necessary to shut off the water to test the entire water system for the hotel. Ok. But I think this maybe should have been done from say midnight to 4am instead of the middle of the afternoon. I had been doing dishes in the dishwasher and it stopped. Well the water came back on but another problem occurred. The boilers did not work. No hot water for most of the next day. I had to take a cold shower to attend my national conference at the convention center. When i asked when the hot water would be available the answer was that nobody knew for certain. We were told to just give it some time. I have stayed at hundreds of Hilton hotels and not once were the guests without water or hot water for any period of time. If they did water system tests maybe they did them in the middle of the night while guests are sleeping. Anyway, I thought the hotel would offer something for our inconvenience. When i asked if there was anything the staff could do for us/me they offered nothing so i let it be. I guess maybe i should have been more assertive but I thought the staff would recognize the position the guests were in and offered something. I will say the staff were friendly however, I believe the management should have done more.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Benjamin L, Front Office Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim-Main Gate Area, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Thank you for your feedback of your recent stay! We do appreciate you choosing to stay with us. I want to take this time to apologize about the entire water situation and how it was dealt with. Unfortunately, the time slot was mandated by the city, but I completely agree with you on the fact that it should have been done late at night. As a loyal guest, we should have compensated you for your stay in some way, be it monetary or complimentary services, however, I can see that nothing was done. Please feel free to contact myself or the General Manager (Darin.Fournier@hilton.com), so we can discuss what we can do to make this right by you. Again, I want to express my sincere apologies for the inconvenience and we look forward to your reply.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,534)

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Overall, we were very pleased with our stay. The breakfast had great variety. We really enjoyed the pool. When we had concerns the staff was friendly and prompt in their responses. The beds were comfortable, and our price was great. Our suite was made to sleep 6 and their were only dishes for four, but I think a request would get you more if they were needed. You could see signs of cleaning needed, but that is understandable when a hotel caters to families with children, which is great for us - since we want to all stay in the same suite. Things weren't perfect, but we had a great time and would be glad to choose this hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 459Lisa
Benjamin L, Front Office Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim-Main Gate Area, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Thank you for your great feedback on your recent stay with us! It sounds like you and your family enjoyed yourselves while you were here with us at the Homewood Suites! Also, thank you for joining us during our Suite Start Breakfast. If your plans ever bring you and your family to the Anaheim Area again, please choose to stay with us, we would love to have you as our guests again!

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Great stay for a week in Disney for families. Business travellers may wish to opt for a less kid friendly hotel. However, you are in the Disney area so expect kids. We brought three and had a great time.

Shuttle service was very good. Complimentary breakfasts were great. It was busy but never seemed frantic.

Elevator is really slow so we did the stairs quite a bit. We were on the sixth floor and after long Disney days it was sometimes a challenge.

Hide-a-bed in our room was broken. I got an air mattress at the nearby Target and all was well.

Overall enjoyed the hotel.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Benjamin L, Front Office Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim-Main Gate Area, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Glad to read that your recent stay with us was a great one! I am also happy to read that you were able to utilize the shuttle for Disneyland and join us for our Suite Start Breakfast every morning. However, I do want to apologize for the pull-out bed in the livingroom, but I am glad that did not taint your stay with us. Next time you plan on visiting Disneyland, please keep us in mind. Thank you again for your patronage!

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Several facts to know for non-Disney guests.

There is no shuttle from the hotel for guests that are not going to Disney. I was attending a conference at the Anaheim Convention Center that is within a mile, or so. Disney main gate is about another one-half mile further north.

Not sure about everyone else, but I am not particularly thrilled with ALL of the staff ALWAYS speaking only Spanish to each other. It is just not courtious.

Housekeeping allows their workers to determine whether your bed linens are soiled enough to change them. There is no "green policy" published anywhere and management was unaware of this. Am I to feel proud that I left my bed clean enough that after two nights, my bed linens had not been changed? (I left a folded piece of paper in between the top sheet and the fitted sheet each morning, and it was there each evening.) Fortunately, Manager Ben understood and assured me that they would be changed daily. So, were my linens clean when I initially checked in? Will my linens be changed prior to the next guest staying in my room? I wonder.

Food was adequate, although they ran out of things regularly during the two-hour dinner window for 10 to 15 minutes at a time, causing lines to form and back up while waiting for refill. Only Bud and Bud light served for beer. People actually drink this stuff on purpose??? "nuff said...

Lots of fast food within walking distance

Many children at breakfast spilling cereal all over the floor. (C'mon parents, is this the way you allow your kids to act at home?)

This is a Disneyland area property, so expect running, screaming children throughout the property, especially during meal times and in the pool.

Beds were comfortable. Elevators are extremely slow, compounded by employees using them during peak times. Kitchen has utensils for four and several serving utensils. No ice makers in the refrigerator. Hallways always seemed to need a vacuuming, with plates and utensils sitting out for hours.

This does not measure up to other Hilton family properties at which we've stayed. We'll likely stay elsewhere if we come back to the area.

Room Tip: Ask for the highest floor on the odd numbered side. You will then be able to watch the nightly firew...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

From what I have read, it seems like we have dropped the ball on more than just one occassion. I apologize for the inconveniences we have caused you during your recent stay with us. I remember speaking with you in regards to the linen and the routine in which we change them. I want to let you know that this specific situation will be brought up to our management staff so we can configure how we would like to notify guests of this issue. Again, my sincere apologies for the inconveniences, and thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. I did find the pillows too soft for my liking though. It was quiet at night we slept well. The breakfast was good and plenty, the hot dishes were different each morning. Some mornings it was packed so we took the food to our room. We did eat a few complimentary dinners at the hotel and found it good, this helped save on the food budget. There are plenty of eateries close to the hotel. We enjoyed the Outback and Joe's Crab Shack.

The hotel has a nice outdoor pool and we found the hotel staff friendly. Antonio was nice, he helped us when we had a problem with our room. We experienced water backing up in our sinks and tub and someone came to fix it but the bathroom sink still had some water back up. Another negative was housekeeping, they didn't come frequently to replenish towels or take the garbage. We always kept our room tidy so it wouldn't have taken long to service. We were told they were short staffed. We stayed for 7 days and our room was serviced twice, we did not need service one day we were good but not sure why they didn't service other days. My son stayed across the hall and they had the same problem.

Even though there were a few negatives I found more positives and we still enjoyed our stay. We got towels and supplies when needed. If we were to return again I would hope housekeeping be improved. The Disneyland shuttle service was great, very reasonable for price. We took a local bus to the outlet mall, only 10 minutes away. Target across the street for supplies. I would still recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Benjamin L, Front Office Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim-Main Gate Area, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your 7 day visit to the Anaheim area. Also, I want to thank you for joining us during our Suite Start Breakfast and our Manager's Evening Reception, which ended up saving you on your food budget! I do want to apologize on the housekeeping aspect of your stay. You should have received service each and every day, except for the day you declined service, however, please know that I will pass this on to our team so we can prevent this from happening in the future. I am glad that you were able to overlook the housekeeping aspect of your stay and still enjoy yourself. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us!

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

The suites are ample room with two Queen beds in the bedroom and a pull out couch in the living room. Compleat with a kitchen. The hotel is located just minutes from Disnay, 1/2 hr to long each and Queen Mary 15min to NewPort and Huntigton beach, 20 min to Knottes Beerry Farm, and 1hr from Universal.

The hotel staff are very frendly and try and help where they can. The pool is nice for a family to splash and play in. The hot tub most days is good but sum times has a lot of sand on the bottom.

They serve a hot breakfast everyday, and a dinner Monday -Thursday that Barry's daily from spaghetti and meatballs to tacos complete with salid, pop and for the adults beer and wine.

We continue to call this place home year after year.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Kevin F

Thank you so very much for your patronage, and we do appreciate your loyalty with us! Glad to hear that we are in the perfect location for all of the attractions you mentioned. As always, we look forward to your next stay with us! Thanks again!

Reviewed 25 May 2014

I have stayed at this property about 4 times in the last two years and I am just finishing up a 5 night stay during the Memorial Day weekend.I so want to love this property, but I just can't dismiss several of the misfires throughout the stay. This stay consisted of three paid nights and two nights with points, which can be confusing to the front desk, but it was seamless.
I tried checking into the property at 3pm and was promptly told by Antonio that my room wasn't ready. I am only a HHonors gold member, but I did ask if anything was available to check into and was promptly told by Antonio, that check in isn't until 4pm. Really? I get it Antonio, but to think there was no other rooms available at that time was a little disappointing. From my questioning of Antonio about it, this set the stage for the rest of the stay, with every time I saw him after that he was annoyed with me. The rest of the staff was excellent.
The rooms are clean, but small for a extended stay facility. Kitchen plates, glasses, silverware, in the room are minimal with utensils to cook almost being non-existent. There are no ice makers in the refrigerators so head to the ice machines for ice. I won't go into the disappointing elevator situation, that has been reviewed enough.
The shower curtain in the tub was way to short and several times, water ended up on the floor. The table for eating has an office chair and one other small chair to sit up if you want to eat a meal in your room. The couch is huge in the room and takes up a lot of room. Insulation in the room is minimal which causes sound to travel easily between rooms.
The hallway floor was crazy bad with all kinds of stuff on the floor with plates, clearly they had not vacuumed that day!
One day, they were changing the air filters in the room and before I could even get out of the bathroom, to answer the door, two maintenance guys were walking in saying they had replaced the filter, but wanted to re check it. Odd. Also got a knock on the door at 11AM from housekeeping, despite the do not disturb sign being on the door. We had not gotten to bed until 4:30 Am due to the 24 hour Disney event, which was a blast by the way.
On the last night, I couldn't figure out what was wrong with the bedsheets, until I inspected closely to find out that the top sheet was turned sideways and was clearly the bedsheet that should have been used for a queen bed and not the king sized bed in the room. The "bottom" sheet was not fitted, but just another top sheet that really did not fit.
The evening reception is very good. Both nights I took advantage of this, the food was good.
The breakfast area on the last morning, which was a Sunday was disastrous. I felt the staff was clearly overrun with the crazy amount of people who were trying to eat. They could not keep up! The dinning area was packed with kids eating cereal sitting on the floor. I do not know what can be done to help this, but it was not fun at all. I heard one family just say, Let's go to IHOP".
In closing, I just do not think this property is my cup of tea anymore. With several other places to stay in this area, sadly I don't think I can return here anymore. :( Take care Homewood.

Room Tip: Pool rooms are noisy and as well as street rooms. Trade one for the other!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TravelingMan5989

Thank you for choosing to stay with us, we do appreciate your patronage. First off, it is clear that we have dropped the ball on many occassions during your stay. From being bothered with the "Do Not Distrub" sign displayed to the maintenance staff changing the air filter. I want to extend my sincere apologies and I am saddened to hear that you will not be staying with us again. I completely understand why and if there were any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact myself or the General Manager, Darin Fournier (Darin.Fournier@hilton.com).

Again, my sincerest apologies.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Garden Grove
Hampton Inn and Suites Los Angeles - Anaheim - Garden Grove
Hyatt Regency Orange County
Hyatt Regency Orange County
#5 of 19 in Garden Grove

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Anaheim-Main Gate Area? Share your experiences!