“Great place to stay!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Garden Grove
Calgary
“Great place to stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

We have stayed here on three separate occasions. We love the breakfast and the evening meals or socials. The staff are friendly and attentive to our needs. The suites are spacious and provide much-needed rest in a cool and comfortable environment. The pool and hot tub are great relaxation features. I was talking to a manager during our stay, and praising the hotel. He asked me to complete a trip advisor, this is the first one I have ever done! And this hotel truly deserves it. In checking with my wife about what could be improved, she thought that having laundry baskets in the rooms would be helpful. We could think of nothing else :-)

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank MgmstarCalgary
Bill_AGMResidenceInn, Manager at Residence Inn Anaheim Resort Area/Garden Grove, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you for being our guest and taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. I am pleased to know that overall your stay was so pleasant and relaxing. We truly appreciate getting feedback from our guests on their stay and how we can improve. I will definitely look into your suggestion about having laundry baskets available. We certainly hope to see you and your family again on your next trip to Orange County!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

I travel a fair bit, and have lost count of the number of different hotels at DisneyLand I tried before I discovered this amazing property.

Frank and his staff go out of their way to welcome us back. I believe they remember us, not just the canned welcome.

As a family with five children, I am very frugal with our money, and a key reason I can continue to take the children to Disneyland is FREE BREAKFAST! I like coffee, and will stop by the occasional Starbucks, but paying $3 for coffee in a diner for breakfast ruins my whole day. At the Residence Inn the free coffee is on all day. You say your children are fussy eaters? Just wait to you see the spread they put out for breakfast; make your own waffles, egg dishes, hot cereal, dry cereal, baked goods, it just goes on and on. Remember you are in Disneyland, so yes, children will be running around.

So if one free meal wasn't enough many nights of the week they offer a Manager's Reception. I would call it supper. Thursday's is the BBQ - Hot Dogs, Hamburgers, and all the fixings.

The Family suites let us put the little children in one room for an early bedtime, allow the teenagers to stay up in the main room, and let Mom and Dad have some peace in the second bed room. My wife has made me swear to never again stay in a room without TWO bathrooms for the teenager girls, to allow the rest of us to use them!

I am not sure what the people with poor reviews were expecting, but I suggest if they had tried as many of the other options close, they would join the R.I. Fan Club!!

We actually walk to Disneyland and back. My doctor says to be more active, and we can walk in the time it takes for the shuttle to drive. If you want to split the journey on the frugal side, walk to the Disney Toy Story Parking lot and take Disney's free shuttle, it is about half way.

My last thought at the moment; be sure you go across the street to TARGET and but a case of water bottles, for cheaper then Disneyland will sell you one bottle.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank MDRTman
Bill_AGMResidenceInn, Manager at Residence Inn Anaheim Resort Area/Garden Grove, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
On behalf of Frank, myself, and our whole staff, I want to thank you for being our guest. Frank goes out of his way to ensure all of our guests have a wonderful stay with us, especially those, like yourself, that return year after year. I am also very pleased to know that our hotel provides you and your family with such a great value while still providing so many options for breakfast and social hour. Thank you again for being our guest and we look forward to seeing you and your family on your next trip to Orange County!
SF Bay Area
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Stayed here on a family trip to Disneyland. I think this hotel is average and typical for the area and price point. Furnishings need updating, but it provides "basic" and clean accommodations. The free wifi is good and we had a strong signal. The free breakfast buffet is acceptable - you can make your own waffles, they have some dry cereal and oatmeal, toast / bagels, fresh fruit, decent coffee (available all day) and a hot egg entree with sausage links. It gets tiring after 2 days but its included. You can always grab something at Disneyland, but it'll cost you. At Starbuck's, a lemon loaf slice which normally costs $3, costs $5. In the evenings starting at 5:30, they have a manager's reception which you could probably turn into a meal. One night was baked potato night, another was grilled bbq (hot dogs and burgers) and another was sloppy joe's. For a large family, this is a real $ saver.

If you are seeking a quiet room, make sure it isn't facing the street (Harbor Blvd) which is a wide 8-lane thoroughfare. Even during the late evenings / early mornings, you could hear road traffic despite the double-paned windows. The hotel is L-shaped and I'm not sure facing the interior (into the pool area) is a good solution either because kids and adults hang out in the pool area late into the evening. If I were to stay here again, I'd ask for a room facing north but that may be considered a "premium" room because it faces Disneyland and presumably you'd be able to see the fireworks. I'm not sure the cost would justify that, but that's an option.

Had a couple of issues with the AC, but it was resolved after a couple of visits from the repairman. The hotel has pre-programmed the temp to 78 degrees which was too hot for us. You need to manually override it each period to lower the room temp. Because of the traffic noise, you can't open the windows which means you are reliant on the AC working correctly.

Note that the location of this hotel is not as close to Disneyland as one would think. It says the distance is approx. 1 mile so walking isn' really an option. Other than driving yourself, you have 3 public transportation options: (1) taking the Anaheim Resort Transit - Bus Route 1; (2) taking the private shuttle bus that stops right outside of the hotel on Harbor; or (3) the Orange County public bus. I don't know about the OC public bus, but the cost between ART and the private shuttle is the same - $20 for a 5 day adult pass / $5 for a child pass. For the ART pass, the closest machine is in the Disneyland transportation hub. It looks like an ATM machine that is located against the bushes. The pass for the private bus can be bought at the hotel. Unless you plan on taking ART to other nearby attractions, I would go with the private shuttle bus or the public bus. Contrary to their posted schedule of running every 20 minutes, ART is not reliable. Out of the 3 morning we took the ART bus to the park, it was never on schedule. I called several times asking if the bus was in an accident. We typically waited 40-50 minutes. We saw many of the public buses go by us which seem to run every 10 minutes or so. On the day we had a Magic Morning, we decided to drive and to park at Disneyland. We will never use ART again.

Tip: If you buy your Disneyland ticket from AAA, you get free parking at the Mickey & Friends parking lot. It is about a 10 minute walk from the lot if you didn't want to wait for the tram.

We stayed in a queen suite. The room furnishings are worn and coloring are outdated. The rooms are tight. The pullout is very uncomfortable. My son ended up sleeping on the sofa. The kitchen is fully stocked with utensils and cooking pans which came in handy one night when we reheated some leftovers.

A couple of notable places to eat. (1) Tangerine Thai located down Harbor; and (2) Joe's Italian Ice.

Next time, we'll probably stay closer to the park.

Room Tip: Ask for room facing north and not on Harbor Blvd or facing the interior (where there's the pool...
Green Features: Not very good. Even though they say they will not run the dishwasher until the machine is half full of dishes, we were surprised that they took the 2 glasses which we had on the counter and started a washing cycle. 2 water glasses that WERE NOT placed in the machine.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Hawaiian Will
Bill_AGMResidenceInn, Manager at Residence Inn Anaheim Resort Area/Garden Grove, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Thank you for being our guest and taking the time to write such a comprehensive review of your visit to the area. I am very sorry you experienced an issue with your air conditioner in the room, but I am pleased to know that our staff was able to resolve that issue for you. I am very sorry that you had issues with the ART shuttle services. While we do not use their transportation services at our hotel, it is clear that your experiences with them clearly did not meet your expectations. Thank you again for being our guest.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

I have been a loyal visitor with Marriot world wide, residence inn USA in particular. This has been going on for at least 6 years. I'm disappointed with the quality of service they have been providing recently. This is my second stay at Residence inn this summer. At my current location, the room was not fully cleaned when we checked in, half empty bottles of drinks in fridge, hair in drawers,etc. the elite member internet kept cutting on and off since we checked in 4 nights ago. The gym had a broken elliptical machine out of order since we checked inn, I'm sure much longer than that. The wet sanitizer wipes in the gym ran out 3 days ago, still not filled up. Finally the bathroom was not cleaned yesterday, it was dirty as we left it. I really feel bad for such a great franchise to go down. I will not stay here again.

Stayed August 2014
Bill_AGMResidenceInn, Manager at Residence Inn Anaheim Resort Area/Garden Grove, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Dear Khaled,

Thank you for being our guest and taking the time to share your thoughts with us. I am very sorry for the inconvenience you experienced while with us. I want to assure you that those experiences were the exception and not the standard at this hotel. I will personally address the items you discussed and ensure they are corrected. Thank you again for being our guest and it is my sincerest hope that we may see you again on a future trip to the Anaheim area.
Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

We prefer staying at the Hampton inn wherever we go in the USA but couldnt find a booking this time. We were looking for extended stay in a suite for our family of 5, near disneyland with good facilities including free wifi, parking and kitchenette. We were not disappointed, however we did hope for more from housekeeping. On some days we returned to our suite to find it immaculate but on others we just weren't impressed.

Wifi could have been better too.

And the parking lot was always packed.

Staff are great though. Very helpful and always full of smiles.

Breakfast is a lovely plus.

The kids did expect more disney and cartoon channels on TV.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
FRankGM106, General Manager at Residence Inn Anaheim Resort Area/Garden Grove, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
We are glad you choose to stay with us! I’m sorry your experience with our parking was less than positive, we do have over flow parking available next door at the Hyatt. Our daily breakfast buffet is an added value especially when you are traveling with a family. We hope to see you as a guest again very soon.
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

I am giving a low rating because of an isolated incident with the receptionist named Michael M. This person should not deal with customers at all!!!

What started as a 5 star rating went down hill after dealing with this receptionist.

We like the place. Outdated but very clean. There are a few imperfections of course as you will see some chipped paint or rusty towel bars for instance but here are the positives:
The free breakfast has a good selection
Free afternoon snacks on selected days
Free Wifi
Oversize safety box that fit a large laptop and 3 tablets. It still had plenty room left.
2 Flat TVs
we got a bedroom suite with a full kitchen

Other cons will be a the $100 pet fee. Sheraton only chargerd $25. But sheraton charged $10 a day on wifi.
$10 parking fee and no free shuttle to Disney. They work with a shuttle company that charges $5 per adult. Limited parking space so you will have to use the Hyatt parking but Marriott will shoulder the difference on parking fees so it is still $10.

I don't need to describe the incident with the receptionist since I do plan to talk to the Manager the next day. But hopefully you don't get to deal with this person.

Advice: Buy Disneytickets via AAA. Disney parking becomes free and that is a big advantage. Also do get the park hopper. There will be days when crowd is less on the other park that you would consider hopping!

Room Tip: bedroom suite is perfect for a family of four. Parents stays in the bedroom and kids could stay on...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
To say that your experience is concerning would be an understatement. I apologize that you had such an experience and assure you that this is not the typical stay at this hotel. I want you know that we do have a very competent, efficient, and service-minded team here at the Residence Inn Anaheim Resort despite your recent experiences. On behalf of my entire staff, I apologize that your experience was not exceptional. We hope that we can have another opportunity at your business on your next trip to Anaheim.
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

We arrived in California after a long day of travel and found out that where we had originally planned to stay was not at all promised.

We searched and found the Residence Inn - Anaheim Resort. What a wonderful experience!

The Hotel staff treated us with the utmost kindness. Ever single person we dealt with - the front desk staff, the people that set up and maintained the breakfast area, the cleaning staff - were professional, courteous, helpful and friendly!

The breakfast in the morning was fantastic and the evening get-togethers were great. The Front Desk staff was terrific and extremely professional, plus had great advice on where to eat and shop. Everyone definitely went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable - and they were all genuinely nice.

We will DEFINITELY stay at this hotel again the next time we are in California!

Room Tip: Be sure to ask to get a room facing the Disney Fireworks display.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I appreciate you taking the time to write this review and share your experience during your recent stay. I am very lucky to have a staff full of great people working at this hotel. Our staff genuinely cares about our guest's experience and we will always go out of our way to ensure that every guest has a great memorable stay. We hope to see you back soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Garden Grove
Hyatt Regency Orange County
Hyatt Regency Orange County
#2 of 19 in Garden Grove
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,117 reviews

Been to Residence Inn Anaheim Resort Area/Garden Grove? Share your experiences!