“Forget customer loyality...”

Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Garden Grove
San Francisco
“Forget customer loyality...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2010

I stayed at this hotel in 2009 on 2 separate occasions for about 5 days total. It was cheap, safe and clean enough. So I was expecting the same this year when I needed to stay for 7 nights, the first of a few visits I need to make this year.

When checking-in, I asked for a 'nicer' room due to the length of my stay and also because the hotel was empty (the parking lot being nearly empty until my last night). The man at the desk told me that times were bad and they did not purchase the new furniture that they wanted. Being aware of the economic hardships, I understood.

When I got to my room, it was missing a table an chairs and one drawer of the dresser (two drawers functioning) needed repair. The dresser top had not been cleaned, the fridge and microwave door handles were sticky and there were other issues with the room just not being clean. The bed was fine, with no appearance of bedbugs and very nice bedding, so I decided to rough it out, thinking that this was the best they had to offer..

Due to my hours, I was never there when the rooms were being cleaned. On my second to last day I was - and when I walked by the other rooms being cleaned (with the doors open), all were fully furnished, including tables and chairs and no broken dressers. I'm guessing that my room was the worst they had to offer.

They have lost this customer. I could have made a 'scene' but instead I have written to their parent organization. They knew that I was a repeat customer (we discussed it at check-in) and yet they treated me poorly.

My takeaway lesson is to never assume that the front desk is telling the truth, always demand something better and to understand that for some hotels, cultivating repeat customers is not part of their business strategy.

One other issue (not for me): Getting in and out of this hotel is awkward.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2009

I recently had the opportunity to stay at this hotel while I was planning to attend an evening performance of "The Glory of Easter" at the Crystal Cathedral in Garden Grove. I live in Los Angeles but I wanted to spend the night and attend early morning Easter services at the Cathedral without driving back and forth to LA. For the amount that you paid, myself included, I really don't know what there is to gripe about. My A/C and heater was great. The TV worked, my phone worked (wake up call included) there was a coffee brewer, with coffee, in the room as well as a microwave and mini refrigerator. The room was clean!' clean sheets on the bed and there were no bed bugs/mites (I checked). The bathroom were sanitized and I was supplied with as many towels by the room cleaning lady as I needed. The man that checked me in was most pleasant and helpful in quickly checking me in and finding the phone numbers of a couple eating places for me. It was to cold for the pool and to lay out in the sun but I could have if I wanted to. You know...the experience was so favorable that I booked a second night just rest, catch up on some reading, and watch a little TV then go out to a fancy feast at the Red Lobster (only five minutes away). After all the price was less for two nights here at this Econo Lodge Inn than it might of been for one night at most hotels elsewhere. It exceeded my expectations. After all the name of the place is Econo Lodge. <smile>

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
orange county
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2008

THIS IS THE WORST HOTEL I HAVE EVER STAYED AT! 1. reserved a smoking room on the bottom floor..
2, female manager states she does not have ah smoking room( THE PARKING LOT IS VIRTUALLY EMPTY!)
3. she says i can smoke in the room for a 100.00 fee..i paid the fee..
4. on the morning of my departure,8;00 in am..went to my car ro get fresh clothes..went back to my room FEMALE MANAGER BARGES INTO MY ROOM SCREAMING! "YOU SMOKED IN THIS ROOM!" i reminded her of the fee i paid. 5. manager screamed." YOU NOW OWE ME 300.00 MORE!! get up to the office and pay!!!6.went to office to pay the illegal charges, out of fear..MANAGER STATED SHE WOULD NOT GIVE ME A BILL AND I HAD TO PAY WITHOUT SEEING A BILL OR THE HOTEL POLICIES..SHE THEN CALLED SOMEONE in a different language,while giving me the 'EVIL EYE" i believe she was calling thugs to force me to give up my ID OR MONEY! I LEFT SCARED FOR MY LIFE AND SHAKING..IAM A SENIOR..THIS PLACE IS THE WORST!!! dont stay here..iam informed and believe this hotel attempts to extort money from customers using threats..she also made threats to call police it i did not pay her illegal bill!!! DO NOT STAY HERE!! somethings going on thats really bad..the place was a dump! FILTHY FLOORS, BATHROOMS! nothing worked...JUST THE WORST!!!!!

• Liked — filthy rooms, carpet so dirty feet stick to floor!! NOTHING WORKED! Nothing!!!
  • Disliked — IT WAS ALL HORRIBLE!!
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank travelot77
El Paso, TX
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2008

Garden Grove, CA Econo-Lodge
June30, 2008 to July 5, 2008
Horrible hotel horrible service!!!! No one was ever at the front desk, had to push button for service and wait for a long time for someone to come. The family running the show there was very unprofessional especially the woman!! She was very rude when we requested something for ex: clock for the room she gave me a broken one!! The continental breakfast consisted of sour milk, water down OJ, toast and danish.. The mattress were very dirty!!!! No blow dryer in the room! Housekeeping didn't always show up for some reason and when i finally did complaint at the front desk, I was told by the woman that that place was not Best Western!!! Also, the family in charge of that place took over the pool having parties all their family was there, it was hard for our kids to swim there. They had beer bottles all over the pool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do not recommend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Never stay there!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The beds (mattress) looked gross!!! No clock, blow dryer etc. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Ducky0516
las vegas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2008

This hotel was alittle shabby, but if you plan on spending all your time doing the tourist things in Anaheim, LA, Long Beach, etc and use this just to sleep in and shower, you cant beat the price. Usually under $70 a night, wow is all i can say, everything i needed was there, the service was great, and even a free continental breakfast.
Stay here highly recommended for the person just wanting a bed.
Thanks we had a great 3 day weekend at NAMM 2008

• Stayed January 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank mellyfrey
jig777
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2007

If you are not looking for something really luxuries and this is the place to stay. Avg rates,clean and QUITE room. Me and my wife enjoyed a great day by the pool...on a very hot day. Great location....only couple of miles from Disneyland. Can't beat it!!!!

• Liked — Great low rates
  • Disliked — breakfast ends too soon
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jig777
Reno, NV
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2007

Do not stay here. I'm warning you. The staff there has no clue as to what cstomer service means. Having had the education of Hospitality, I can trully say that they did not have one clue as to what "accomodating" means. The staff at the front desk was rude. They judge us and "cancelled" our reservations because we were not properly dressed. They immidiately assumed that just because my friends wore high trend hip hop clothes that we were going to cause trouble. They were very rude and irritating. I would never suggest this Econo Lodge to anyone. Stay away.

Stayed August 2007