“Old Time Inn Deep in the Woods”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Gasquet
Patrick Creek Lodge and Historical Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Gasquet
Asheville, North Carolina
“Old Time Inn Deep in the Woods”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Stayed here for one night en route from Ashland, OR to the California coast...it's a very old and somewhat charming inn right off beautiful Highway 199, and a decent place to put your head down for a night's rest. The rooms are a bit dark and the linens tired, but the bed was comfortable and the water hot - and sometimes, that's just about all you need! There's a comfortable living room area behind the check in desk where you can relax and check out the book shelves and games table. AND - there's a short trail down to the lovely and clear Patrick Creek, which was just deep enough for a brisk, refreshing dip. We'd probably stop again, and plan on more time to explore down by the creek! There's certainly room for improvement (the hot tub isn't functioning) - but at least this historic old place is still in operation. Don't expect a 4 or even a 3 star hotel - this isn't it.

Room Tip: Perhaps best to ask for a room nearer to the pool if you want it to be quieter. Ours was next to th...
Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Tarragona, Spain
Reviewed 21 June 2014

The lodge itself is in a wonderful, isolated location near the Smith River (bring something to float on, the river is really exceptional). The rooms are dated, but large and relatively cozy and the grounds of the lodge are gorgeous. Our biggest gripe was the restaurant. Main courses start at about 22 bucks and they're nothing special at all - basically just meat and potatoes. On the second night, not wanted to drop another 75 dollars (with wine) on dinner, we ordered the chicken Caesar salad for $17 - it was not very good and it literally contained no more than $4 worth of ingredients. The thing is there is NOWHERE else to eat in the general area (Gasquet's about 7 miles away and the only restaurant is a hamburger joint), so you're kind of trapped into paying those crazy prices. The owner was VERY STRANGE about our clothes. We were hiking and playing in the river and doing all kinds of outdoorsy stuff (as you would at a lodge in the middle of a forest), but she seemed to want us to dress up to eat at the restaurant. She made a snarky remark to my husband about his shorts, t-shirt and flip-flop breakfast attire and gave me a very dirty look when I dared to wear flip-flops to dinner (the truth is I had left my non-river shoes at home, so I actually had to stop and buy those flip-flops so as not to wear wet river sandals everywhere I went). They seem to aspire to something that doesn't jibe with the property or client they've got.

Room Tip: My sister's room had a TV, but mine didn't. If you want one, ask when you reserve.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank LisaTarragona
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 5 November 2012 via mobile

I'll bet this is a historical paradise in the summertime (has an outdoor pool!), but, in October, it's more like a ghost town. We were one of two vehicles in the parking lot that night.

The biggest complaint I have is that our room had no heat. The heating systems are the old gas type, and, apparently, no one checked to make sure the pilot light was on before they left for the day. And we arrived so late, about 10pm, that it wasn't worth bothering anyone to fix it.

The rooms are dated (old fashioned?), but clean. The bed was comfortable. The staff I spoke to via telephone prior to arrival was very polite and helpful, including the arrangements for our late arrival, but they don't staff this place 24 hours this time a year. Not sure it's worth the $110 I paid.

The view in the morning was awesone...literally surrounded by mountains. And the location was only minutes from some of the best views in the Smith River National Recreation Area, including some of the oldest redwoods in the state.

I'd stay here again anytime of year...but, in the colder months, I'd make sure the staff confirms the heat is working and on!

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Anthony T
Rio Rico, Arizona
Reviewed 30 August 2012

My friend and I stayed one night at Patrick Creek Lodge and felt the vibes of this old inn seep into our travel-weary bones. Our room was comfortable and quaint, complete with 2 windows overlooking Patrick Creek. We dipped our toes into the creek when we arrived, as it was 90 degrees on this mid-summer day. Dinner was quite good, and the fellow serving us also doubled as the inn-keeper, bartender, and guide to local trails and sites. Breakfast coffee was available for the early risers (me) in the dining room. Hanging out on the front porch of this lovely old inn was a treat in the cool of the morning. There is a swimming pool and a few motel-like rooms beside the lodge as well as rooms in the upstairs portion of the inn. For a picturesque experience, I recommend the rooms inside the lodge. If you have kids and want more privacy and space to make noise, I recommend the motel rooms beside the inn. Nice place, reasonable prices, and I'll probably stop again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank arroya
Grants Pass, Oregon
Reviewed 13 July 2012

my husband & i always stopped in to visit after traveling back from brookings. we never stayed over but love sitting on the little white bench out front to eat our picnic lunch. love the peace & quiet there. but most of all we love the fact that NO DOGS ALLOWED !! we dont have to worry about stepping in stuff !! like most places. one day were going to stay over. you can count on it !!!!

Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ammiey t
Hood River, Oregon
Reviewed 6 July 2012

I have stayed at Patrick Creek many times on trips to the Bay Area and Mendocino. It's a funky old log hotel with extensive gardens all around it and the rushing Smith River just across the road. I usually stay in the motel section which has large room with bath. The rooms are a bit tired but quite comfortable. The is a house restaurant which is pretty good. You basically have to eat there unless you bring your own food. Patrick Creek is a good 10-20 miles from Gasquet or Cave Junction. I love the Smith River Canyon, so it is one of my regular stops on trips south.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
6 Thank Cerce
Lafayette, California
Reviewed 4 July 2012

I really enjoyed my stay here. I loved that there was a great restaurant/bar attached. Had an amazing time hanging out with locals and travelers alike there after dark. Close to the creek and some short hiking trails - one of which stays lit at night! A nice swimming pool, though take my advice and go in the afternoon. I went swimming in the morning and it was icy cold! My mistake. Okay, yeah, it is an older place. The rooms are bare-boned. This is definitely not the Hilton. What it is - a quaint place to stay in the middle of nowhere and get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. It gets four stars inside of five since the rooms were a bit rundown looking and they seemed to be short staffed when I was there.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Andrea W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gasquet
Best Western Plus Northwoods Inn
Best Western Beachfront Inn
Anchor Beach Inn
Anchor Beach Inn
#8 of 18 in Crescent City

Been to Patrick Creek Lodge and Historical Inn? Share your experiences!