“My favorite restaurant in Gilroy CA.”
Review of Tasso's Old House Restaurant - CLOSED

Tasso's Old House Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Greek, Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 January 2013

I visit Gilroy once or twice a year to visit family. We make it a point to have dinner at Tasso's several times during my stay. Tasso and his wife treat us like family adn the staff is freindly and helpful. The Greek food is excelent and the wine is always just right.

1  Thank ASmilingBear
There are newer reviews for Tasso's Old House Restaurant

Reviewed 17 December 2012

We are locals who eat at Tasso's on a regular basis. The owners are loud, but caring. The staff is quiet, but happy to do whatever you need. You don't have to be a regular, but it's fun to be recognized & catered to. The food is underpriced, served in a semi-formal fashion in a pretty dining room, & is delicious.
Because the parking lot doesn't look crammed, I think people are afraid to stop. Their loss! Tasso & Maria want to feature their Greek food, but on the whole they serve mostly Americanized European beef, chicken, & pasta dishes with a special flair. I like their Chicken Marsala, & their Moussaka. My wife's favorite is their Greek Lemon soup.
Potentially romantic setting - depends on the night & the company. But always enjoyable. We keep going back

1  Thank Clark W
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Recently, a small group dined at Tassos on a Thursday early afternoon. They were pleased with the food and the lunch prices were reasonable. I was informed about it and since I was in town for a meeting, a group of 12 decided to go there for lunch. We arrived about 2:15 on a Friday afternoon. We were given dinner menus--the prices which were about double of the lunch menu. We asked for lunch menus, but the server said that was the only one available. When asked when dinner started, the server said "2 PM." I had never heard of dinner starting at 2 pm on a Friday. We decided to stay, but were upset.

When we left the restaurant, I called and asked when lunch was served during the week. I was told "11-2:30. Dinner starts at 3 pm." We were misled and "taken"--others our group were upset also and we will never return. The food was good and the taramisu was delicious, but we will not return to a restaurant that is so deceitful.

1  Thank nheiss
Reviewed 13 August 2012

My family and I were simply looking for a good local restaurant for dinner as we hate frequenting chain restaurants. We were unable to get a recommendation from our hotel staff so we gambled on finding something via the internet. We stumbled upon a reference to this restaurant and thought the variety would provide a solid basis from which to select a decent meal.
When we arrived, our daughters were a little surprised that the restaurant smelled like their grandmother's house, but with a little reassurance, we were seated and perusing the extensive menu. Everything looked and sounded so delicious that we were having a hard time deciding what to have. No trouble there as many of the patrons at the tables around us had multiple recommendations for us. It seems that Tasso's has quite a regular crowd! We ordered our food and settled in for the usual wait.
That did not happen... The food was brought out promptly and to great effect! The aromas were Old World, and the presentation was appetizing. We had a hard time restraining ourselves before digging in!
My family has a tradition where we sample each others meals to determine who "wins" with the best meal. We may sometimes disagree, but we usually do not have a hard time making a decision. This night was our first exception! Of the four dishes (all different) which we were served, we could not select a single front-runner nor even a pair. The food was amazing!
More than that, the atmosphere was incredible! Our host and hostess were intimately involved in interactions with us and their other customers! They had everyone laughing and enjoying themselves! I felt like we were at dinner in their own home! They were most entertaining and gracious!
Just to make sure we did not have a "fluke" night, we broke with our usual tradition of not visiting the same restaurant twice in the same vacation and went back the next night. It was no mistake! Four different dishes again, and we still could not determine a winner! And again, our host and hostess were there to make everyone feel at home!

If you are ever anywhere near Gilroy, CA, this is definitely worth every effort to make it there for a meal!

2  Thank MyExpectations
Reviewed 30 June 2012

Tasso's is like stepping into a family member's house and having them take care of you. Just let them. Sometimes the staff (9 times out of 10 the owners or their kids) gets a bad rap for being quick but they are completely endearing and charming. They are real, down to earth, quality people who make great food and drinks. The food is not gourmet so if that's what you're looking for, skip it. But if you're looking to get your grub on with food that tastes really good with a menu that has tons of variety, you'll be stoked. If you get the dolmades you'll not be disappointed because Maria makes them herself, no canned junk. They are amazing. The soup is always great, the fish, everything. Tasso's is a treasure!

2  Thank Quasibonko