“biker friendly and reasonable”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Gilroy
Reviewed 8 July 2014

when I had to cancel out our weekend and only stay Saturday, Marti the manager handled it no problem. he is courteous and makes you feel welcome. Hollister Rally week and it was filled with bikes, great room, not fancy, but quiet until the Harley's started up. will be back again next year, reserve early and any questions, talk to Marti

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 July 2014

This was a quick overnight trip to the coast for July 4th. Our room had a king bed on ground floor, in the very rear of the property. The fence was 6 feet away from our room door and bordered a Mobile Home Park which was very quiet. The hotel parking lot is a bit cramped, especially if the facility is booked full. Check-in was quick and easy although the front desk clerk was not very forthcoming with the password for the free WiFi. Then............ we could not get online. Kept getting error messages so just gave up (have recently stayed in 2 other hotels and never had such trouble getting online). The bed was very comfortable, carpet clean and stain-free. The light near the table needed to be plugged in and that outlet near the door is worn because when I used the iron, the plug on the iron cord kept falling out of the outlet (it did have a faceplate)! The shower head was really nice, had several settings including a pulsed massage. Lighting around the mirror took a few seconds to come on, but was very good when it did, finally. Plentiful and plush towels, 100% cotton. TV worked great. We had a microwave and small fridge. Both worked great but fridge access was rather difficult because the door was blocked from opening freely by cabinet framework underneath the TV. I would stay at this place again if I could get a clean and quiet room like this one. Cheaper than staying closer to Monterey; very easy freeway access. There is a 7-11 right next door and a Black Bear Diner just across the street. The hotel had a free breakfast although we wanted to get going in the morning and didn't check it out. (had left-overs from dinner the night before and just popped them in the microwave in our room!) The pool seemed a bit small, but the people out there seemed to really enjoy it on a hot summer day-- we will probably arrive earlier next trip so we can enjoy it too.

Room Tip: Parking lot fills up when facility is booked full. Arrive early and don't move your car once yo...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2014

When I arrived, I was told that they were full, but he did manage to find 2 rooms that were available and I took one of them. The room was on the second floor which was fine with me, since I prefer not to be on the lower levels and hear someone overhead. The room was large and clean, but dated. The beds were comfortable and every thing overall was clean. There were a couple of issues in the bathroom. I am not sure what is in the corner next to the tub and floor, but it is not appealing....it is not dirty...and the framing around the door is painted but not exactly appealing either, as it is yellowed, slightly covered with some streaks of white paint over, where someone had slopped. The biggest issue was the wifi not being able to work in the rooms. When approached about the wifi and told that it was terrible, the person at the desk just smiled and agreed. We had to either go to the lobby or stand outside the room to use the wifi most of the time. At least the person working the desk was friendly which is more than I can say for the person at the desk at the Best Western across the street....

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank tuscolaman
Reviewed 18 June 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Ramada
RamadaGilroy, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Reviewed 15 June 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Ramada
RamadaGilroy, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Man... I had been on a motorcycle for about 13 hours and was dead tired. I was checking in around 10:30 and wanted nothing more than to sleep, shower and leave. Never stayed at a Ramada and was picturing something along the lines of a Motel 6... kinda basic but, if you were lucky, clean.

Desk guy was nice and I was "lucky" enough to get the last room. I checked out about 15 minutes later and got my money back. I will say the the sheets looked clean... but that's where it stopped. I found a 1 inch bug (dead), smaller bug carcasses wedged in between the peeled-paint baseboard and the grimy carpet, a not-totally-cleaned toilet, really stained floor tiles/grout, a light switch with no switch plate (semi-exposed wire but not all that dangerous really) and just an overall worn-and-dilapidated room.

I guess I understand the business model. You are getting the lower end clientele, trying to keep the price to a minimum and then having to save on maintenance and personnel. The place was 100% occupied so I guess they are meeting a demand for that level of quality but I got my $95 back and wound up 20 miles down the road at a really wonderful Courtyard Marriott for $139. Night and Day.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
RamadaGilroy, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Guest,

We are truly sorry for your terrible guest experience. We thank you for reporting the issues to us and we will address them to prevent poor service. Thank you for sharing your experience with us in detail on our social review site and the travelling community.

Regards,

John
408 848 1467

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Clean and well appointed rooms. Friendly and efficient staff. Manager called me promptly after I left a computer behind. Mostly I appreciate the quiet room which is often missing in hotels in this price category. The clientele well mannered. Nice hot tub and pool. Convenient location near shopping. Everything worked! I have stayed in all hotels in this price category in Gilroy and most of those in Morgan Hill and this is by far the best value and the only one with no unpleasant surprises. Now I am a regular here!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
RamadaGilroy, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Dear Henry,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your excellent short term and long term commitment to our hotel with the travelling community. It is true that in this "Price Class" that it can be hit or miss when it comes to getting that high end room that just fits perfect. To add some detail to your observations the ownership has restored fully restored the hotel exterior with high quality surfaces such as Behr Premium, Green Energy Smart Lighting, Upscale Modern Lobby décor and improved technology service. To further add we have a 25/7 wifi support tech whom troubleshoots all different internet protocols and devices to help you stay connected and productive in our well appointed rooms featuring a large game desk. Thank you for the kind words in regards to our staff they will surely appreciate your kindness.

Regards,

J.Smith
408 848 1467

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gilroy
Days Inn Gilroy
#2 of 13 in Morgan Hill
Motel 6 Gilroy
Motel 6 Gilroy
#6 of 9 in Gilroy

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!