“Almost perfect”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Glen Ellen
Boise, Idaho
“Almost perfect”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

The Olea Hotel is a charming hostelry in the Sonoma Valley hamlet of Glen Ellen. Kent at the front desk was effusive in his welcome and spot on with his dining recommendations. Complimentary local wines were an elegant touch! Thanks to a CIA-trained chef, the two-course breakfast soared with cuisine far more sophisticated than the usual B&B fare ... although these early risers would have preferred to have breakfast before 8:30. The only slight missteps at the Olea Hotel were the absence of a refrigerator in the Garden Cottage and some noisy children who would have benefited from some discipline in deference to the adult guests. Perhaps without child-oriented facilities and activities the hotel should consider an adults-only policy.

2 Thank Blythe F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
New York, NY
Reviewed 23 April 2014

So for the first time I'm writing a review of a place I've not stayed. We reserved two nights at Olea as part of a planned vacation in California. Our first stop was to be San Francisco and our last Napa, where we were going to meet my Northern California-based father for some vineyard visits. In between, we were going to stay for two nights at Olea.

After just one day in San Francisco, the unthinkable happened--I received a phone call that my father had suddenly passed away. As we rushed to his home, I contacted Olea to let them know we wouldn't be staying after all. We had already paid our deposit and were too late to cancel for a refund--I knew this from the hotel's website. But I felt we shouldn't just be no shows without explanation.

To my great surprise, the owner of the Olea did not charge us for the second night. And knowing what had happened, she also reached out to offer her sympathies and to REFUND our deposit as well! She didn't have to do that--I assumed we would not get any refund--but she did out of sheer decency and compassion. Wow. I was floored.

When things settle down and we get a chance to visit Sonoma, I know where we'll be staying.

Dublin, OH
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We have stayed around Napa and other places, but found this gem and will be back. The staff is really thoughtful and accommodating. We thought the location was good for getting up and down both Sonoma and Napa. It's not walking distance from a ton of food, so you will want to be conscious of this for tastings and eating out. It's quiet, relaxed and casual.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I'm so glad I found the Olea Hotel when I did. My girlfriend and I were about a month away from our trip to San Francisco and hadn't yet booked a hotel in Sonoma for our first night. I came across the Olea Hotel and immediately decided this was the place to go. Luckily the King room with a fireplace was available and I couldn't have been happier with our choice. The hotel and grounds are beautiful and very relaxing. The rooms are modern and comfortable, especially the bed - by far the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in at a hotel. The staff was extremely friendly and helped us map out a few wineries to visit and a place to have dinner, along with serving complimentary wine until about 9pm. The next morning we walked a few steps to the dining room/lounge and had one hell of a breakfast. Coffee, tea, juice and homemade chai was waiting for us along with a 3 course gourmet meal.

I'm looking forward to our next trip out to the area and will definitely be staying here again. Thanks for making our stay so comfortable.

1 Thank Scott G
Chicago
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My best friend and I had an amazing time at the Olea this past weekend. We were greeted on our first day by Kent. He made sure to ask us about the types of wines we liked, and in turn highlighted some of the best wineries in the area based upon our preferences. He didn't steer us wrong either. We had a blast!

The rooms are very nice, and clean. The sheets are AMAZING. We asked the front desk what company makes the sheets, and she just nodded and said, "we get this question all the time!" P.S. - comphy.com makes the sheets. I plan on buying some this week they were that comfy :)

The breakfasts are great. Each day was something different and new. Davesh took care of us during breakfast, and he was phenomenal. Lastly, we each had a massage, and PJ and Leela were awesome. So relaxing. In fact we were so relaxed the entire weekend, we became known as the two girls that were always in our robes.

You can really tell this hotel cares about their guest's experience, and they go out of their way to ensure you are pleased with your stay. I would highly recommend, and will hopefully have a chance to go back. Thanks again for a great, and memorable weekend!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Pash1102
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 17 April 2014

This is my first hotel review and I'm proud to recommend this place. Stayed for 3 nights while touring wineries. The welcomed us like family and we're overly helpful with advice of places to eat and wineries to visit. Willingly provided directions to anywhere and even made us reservations for dinner one night.
The rooms are small, but have everything you need and super clean. Showers were great and their towels were softer than mine at home! The only way they could improve them is to have a bit more storage. I found it difficult to find room to put my things (I'm an unpacker).
And let me tell you about the breakfasts! So yummy and fresh. The food was definitely out of my comfort zone a bit (duck confit) but it forced me to try some new things and discover that I liked it.
I'll freely admit we really appreciated the free (yes, free) wine every evening. It was nice to not have to pay 10-15 bucks for a glass at the end of the day. And this wasn't crappy wine, it turned out to be some of the same wine we buy here at home!
I just can't say enough about the enjoyable experience we had here and would DEFINITELY return again and hope to.

Room Tip: Can't go wrong with any of them.