“Stay Only If You Want to Save $”
Review of Chariot Inn

Chariot Inn
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Glendale
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This motel is reasonably priced and because it is in Glendale, the tax is only 10% instead of the 14% it would be in the city of Los Angeles a few blocks away. That being said, the facility itself is only average. The manager insisted on full payment at the start of our stay instead of the usual policy of paying upon checkout. In the middle of the night, other customers stood outside our room talking and interrupted our sleep. The room had an unpleasant smell upon entering. Overall, if you need to save money or will only be in the room for a few hours, Chariot is OK. Otherwise, pay a little more and get more pleasant surroundings.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Dalyndog

Reviewed 11 November 2011

I arrived at the Chariot Inn the evening of Wednesday November 9, 2011, and checked into my room. The room looked fine. Nothing fancy, but it seemed fine. I went to bed and woke up the next day a "little itchy" but no big deal I thought. Maybe I was just imagining it.

So, I went to several meetings until about 7pm Thursday. I returned to my room and looked in the mirror to find 6 very small red spots on my forehead, and a few more on the back of my neck, then I looked at my ches and arms, t and found a few more very small red spots. I was wondering what the heck could this be and was definitely concerned, but I wasn't overly alarmed since I had no other symptoms.

About 11pm Thursday night I started feeling really itchy where the red spots were and as I started scratching them lightly they got a lot bigger and even itchier. At this point, I was starting to think that I might have been bit by some sort of insects. I had some hydrocortisone with me and so I applied some to the red spots . I was really tired though, and I just fell asleep hoping the antibiotic and some rest would help alleviate the problem.

I woke up Friday morning to find these HUGE red welts all over my forehead, chest, arms, back and about 5-6 on the back of my neck. I knew then that I had been most likely attacked by bed bugs! I walked over to the front desk and spoke to the man that was there each time to show him what had happened to me. He said, "oh my that is terrible, let me call the owner right away and change your room. I'm going to refund all of your money back to your credit card." I didn't really know what to say or do so I just said okay, and walked back to my room and starting packing up my stuff to move to another room.

The front desk man then came to my room and stated he talked to the owner again and they will move me to a jacuzzi room today because of my trouble, but that he is only refunding me this last night in the jacuzzi room. I said "that was not what you said, and that's not acceptable." He then proceeded to argue with me and told me to "leave right away!" I was in complete shock and told him I have paid for three nights and only stayed two. He said he doesn't care and if I don't leave he will call the police on me!

Trust me, I had already decided I no longer wanted to stay there but the way he handled this situation was unbelievable. I went back to the new room (not a jacuzzi room) and started calling the County Health Dept and the City of Glendale Health services but they were both closed because it is Veterans Day. I am leaving now and will be recontacting all the appropriate Health agencies when they re-open on Monday.

This is a very scary place. I would never recommend staying here ever.
M

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
14  Thank BedBugVictim1
Nilesh P, General Manager at Chariot Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2012

This gentleman submitting the review is claiming he was bitten by Bed Bugs while at the Chariot Inn. The staff thoroughly examined the room and no trace of bed bugs were found. Subsequent to leaving the property. the guest filed a complaint with the Los Angeles Country Public Health Department who did a unannounced inspection. The County Inspector's inspection of the the room and property found no bed bugs and they provided a written statement stating the complaint was unjustified.

Reviewed 23 March 2011

Called ahead about fragrance sensitivities, manager made effort to meet my needs but had bathroom caulked on morning of second of third day despite my informing him that I would react to it., odor too much for me, had to find another hotel. Frig very noisy. Noisy neighbors or patrons through 4 am and bed very hard. Only a Senor Froggies within walking distance, did not feel comfortable walking more than several blocks alone, really need transportation if staying here. Relative to pick me up but I had hoped to get breakfast earlier. Price good and he did refund for nights I could not stay. older establishment but clean.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 October 2010

We have better ways to spend out money than high zoot motel / hotel rooms. So long as it is in a safe neighborhood, in good repair, clean, & reasonably priced, we're happy.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank drew046
Reviewed 14 September 2009

My daughter and I stayed one night here after reading the positive reviews here on TripAdvisor. The staff was very friendly and the room was clean. Definitely nothing fancy but I felt it was worth the reasonable price we paid. The bed was clean and comfortable and we had a quiet night's sleep. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 August 2009

We had reserved two nights at the Omni Hotel Downtown Los Angeles - an Internet special. We'd stayed there before, so it wasn't anything exciting, just convenient. However, I was shocked at the $30/night valet parking fee, which certainly ate up the Internet special. So, we checked out the next day and proceeded to find another place.

We found Chariot Inn in Glendale through a Blackberry search. A motor inn, looks like many motels you see along Los Angeles streets. But it met our needs perfectly. Yes, as the YELP reviewer said, the lobby/check-in desk had the sweet subtle smell of curry, and the Indian-American hosts were gracious, gentle, and welcoming. The room was immaculately clean. Our sleep was quiet and solid. Best of all, we paid 1/2 what we paid for the Omni.

Sure, the towels weren't as plush as the Omni, the shampoo and lotion not as chic, the room size much smaller. But it had features that the Omni didn't have: free Internet, a microwave and refrig, coffee and breakfast rolls, NO charge for parking, and, once again, the sweet smell of curry.

This will be the place we stay on our annual visit to Los Angeles.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2009

Good motel with friendly staff in a safe location.Close to Hollywood and Universal Studios

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple