“Nice hidden restaurant with very good food”
Review of Bashan Restaurant - CLOSED

Bashan Restaurant
Price range: US$0 - US$100
Cuisines: Fusion
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Los Angeles
“Nice hidden restaurant with very good food”
Reviewed 6 November 2011

I've been here a couple times and the food here is good. I've ordered various items on their menu and it's all good. The place is small so reservations are recommended.

• Visited October 2011

Altadena, CA
“What a delight, what a gem”
Reviewed 26 October 2011

What a delight, what a gem
We came just before 7, without reservations. Oops! But we were seated quickly and scanned the menu.
We started with the Prosecco sparkling wine, and we decided to share our appetizers.
However first came a beet juice “shooter” which, I could have passed on. Then some olive or sourdough bread. Yum. The Prosecco was just fine btw and my hubby and I were enjoying the time.
The corn chowder and blue crab salad were AMAZING. The sweet of the corn chowder were actually a nice compliment to the salty, brine freshness of the blue crab salad, which is made of chunks of gorgeous crab lightly dressed and stacked onto itself. Just so good.

Our main dinners were the special of Scottish salmon, a buttery fish that can and should be prepared simply to allow the beaty of the fish to shine through. In this case, it was, with a crackling skin, and fish done medium rare, though just a bit more rare than I would have preferred. Still tasty but a bit raw.
My hubby had the wild Alaskan Halibut, with roasted Macadamia nuts and grilled cauliflower.

Maybe it was that the appetizers were so over the top great, the fish dishes were good, but not over the top for us.

Well, what to do but have dessert? My hubby went for the chocolate coulant, which was veerrry good. I had a more simple dessert of three sorbets: raspberry, mango and lemon. Refreshing, light and just right for me. The French press coffee was also perfect.

We sighed. Happy happy, and walked out hand in hand.

They do have pre-fixe dinners and special nights with special pricing, but in fairness, this is a more expensive place than we generally go to.
Cost of a lovely French dinner for two with appetizers, wine, dessert? $160.
Cost of a long time couple remembering why they dated in the first place? Priceless.

Thank you Bashan.