“Near Glendale Galleria”

Hotel Xilo Glendale
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Glendale
Reviewed 22 January 2008

Our family (including 2 kids and 1 baby) stayed for 3 nights at this hotel upon the recommendation of our family who lived within walking distance and knew the motel had been recently remodeled. The motel was updated with nice crown molding and updated tile and lighting fixtures. Upon check-in the motel charged our credit card for the full 3 nights that we were originally planning on staying. The first night we were placed in a smoking room even though we had requested & reserved a nonsmoking room. At 2:30am we had to call the office to request the neighbors to quiet down and to stop smoking outside our room (smoke came in through our window fan) and the night staff immediately followed through. In the morning we requested a refund for the next 2 nights so we can change motels but were denied the refund. We were offered new nonsmoking rooms closer to the road/office. These rooms were quieter from neighbor noise but had more road noise. The rooms still had a hint of smoke smell to them which is probably why we noticed that all rooms had their windows open at all times when not occupied. After staying at several other hotels in the area we would recommend this hotel to people who want a budget hotel but are willing to put up with some noise and smoking smells. We will not be returning to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family

Reviewed 3 January 2008

We were pleased with our experience. The price was right, the lcoation was GREAT, and it was nice and clean. Even though it was simple, the finishes in the room gave it a nice touch. The staff was very nice (even though we didn't get the free newspaper as promised on the confirmation email). Next time we go to LA we will probably stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 December 2007

For the amount of time and money we were willing to spend in LA, this place is OK. Don't be too concerned about the 2 inch bullet proof glass at check in. The neighborhood isn't that bad. No food nearby, but a galleria is a couple of walking blocks away with all kinds of stuff. Make sure you bring your own soap and shampoo though, the cheap crap they gave us was still wrapped when we left. Wireless was OK.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 November 2007

Exceptionally clean and well-run motel in Glendale, CA.

I wanted to be near someone I was visiting in Los Feliz, and this was ideal - a pleasant motel-style room with a TV with lots of cable channels and a very clean bathroom, and in walking distance of an assortment of places where I could find food, important to me as a non-driving Manhattanite. In one direction a Starbucks, in another a no-frills nice Central American-run place with a three-dollar breakfast.

There is a small swimming pool that is also immaculately maintained - no question of swimming at this chlly time of year, but staff was nice about opening a gate so I could sunbathe.

Place is run by a nice Indian family. Owner was warm and cheerful about various requests from me, including the possiblity of changing my room (in the end I did not). I had a nice conversation with his father, recently arrived from either Ahmedabad or someplace nearby in Gujurat, to live and work with his son's family. Sorry actually I didn't have time to talk to them more.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled solo
1  Thank VirginiaK
Reviewed 26 October 2007

We needed somewhere to lay our head on our first night in LA and found this on the net - it was very comfortable and a great standard for a lot less than similar places. Quite a drive from the airport but the next day was great for heading north. Would recommend.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 September 2007

The Glen Capri Colorado Street is a fine place to spend a few nights north of Los Angeles. It is in Glendale and the drive to the Hollywood Bowl is only about 20 minutes and Pasadena and the Huntington Museum in San Marino are nearby. If you need a convenient and inexpensive place north of the city, this might be it. The management has three other hotels nearby as well.

We asked for a non-smoking room and were given the use of the suite with a kitchenette at no extra charge since it was supposed to be smoke-free! The room did have a very slight scent which I could not place (not the smell of smoke, but not that of air freshener either) but once we settled in it was not noticeable.

The television had a very large selection of channels.

One flaw is that ice must be purchased, and one night I put in my 50 cents expecting a bag of ice to plop down, and instead the ice itself fell. I did not have any container with me so it was wasted. It is a minor inconvenience to have to walk to the room to get the ice bucket then return to purchase the ice, then walk back to the room, and have to pay for it besides. Maybe this is standard in California, however. Don't know since we are from the east coast.

The staff was VERY pleasant and helpful. The room was quite clean. The street is downtown Glendale, so generally safe and pleasant. There is an urban mall 3 or 4 blocks away, where we went to the Bennigans Restaurant for a meal. It was quite good, but there also are other places to eat there, and a movie theater.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank Awarely
Reviewed 11 August 2007

the rating for my stay is above average because the accommodations were more than I expected. I suspect my rooms had been recently renovated and renovated quite well. although the amenities were less than other places I've experienced, the clerks were helpful in pointing out locations for food, drink, etc.

Stayed: August 2007