“A worth while 2nd visit”

Vagabond Inn - Glendale
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Glendale
England
“A worth while 2nd visit”
Reviewed 22 February 2009

We were so impressed with this hotel during our first trip to LA we decided to stay here for a second time..and for a little longer. The hotel is in an ideal location to Hollywood, Pasadena, Burbank, Los Feliz etc. Plus they have a huge shopping mall well worth seeing only one block away and during our stay they were building a huge complex similar to 'The Grove' at Fairfax, despite the building work going on outside the noise didn't bother us early morning or at night.
The only minor problem during our stay ws the telephone in our room, we had friends calling us and they couldn't get through due to an old message from the previous occupants. Sometimes when they said they had called the phone didn't even ring. When we reported this to staff they said they would sort it out, but unfortunately the problem was never resolved. It was quite confusing for our friends and a slight dissapointment for us.
But on the whole this is a very comfortable, affordable and conveinient hotel for those who want a good location for all the sights of LA. Would highly recommend for international tourists.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 18 September 2008

My family and I wanted to see L.A and Hollywood but didn't wanted to stay in a nicer/safer neighbourhood, so we chose Glendale. (Not too far from Universal Studios, Aquarium of te Pacific, or Hollywood.)

Pros:
1.) Cheap compared to other Hollywood prices ($90/night)
2.) Safe Neighborhood
3.) Convenient (A lot of places to eat and shop nearby)
4.) Big Clean bathroom
5.) Fridge, microwave, cable, coffee maker, etc.

Cons:
1.) Smalll room! (we could hardly fit out rollaway bed in the room)
2.) Had 3 tiny bugs near the bathroom, but it's the summer, it's expected
3.) Roll-away bed sagged in the middle

Compared to other places in L.A., it was the cheapest, and it had danishes and fruit as a continental breafast! We really did enjoy our stay!

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
Northwest England
Reviewed 8 September 2008

You get what you pay for,
Poor A/C - we ended up buying a fan from Target down the road. $10 well spent. You have NO CONTROL over the A/C, and if you are a brit like myself the heat is too much. The free internet also a problem, thrown off line every two minutes, night or day, it's the worse I have come across, we thought it would be OK as we were next to the office.

Location was good, next to the shopping mall, room fairly clean & tidy although the decor is abit dated. Staff that we came in contact with were polite.

Would stay there again at a push if needed, and I had the fan with me.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — A/C lack of personal control
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Dallas
Reviewed 11 July 2008

After reading the reviews I thought I'd be more impressed with the Vagabond Inn.

We arrived late at night-never a good idea. I have to admit I did not really feel that safe in the area at night.. I was sans husband-just me and the kids. Area felt a bit creepy. But, in the morning in bright daylight was a different story.

Big thing is that you do not have control of either the heat or A/C from your room. The outside temperature must be a certain level for the hotel management to turn on the system. Then the level is what it is. We just died of heat. It was AWFUL! And I did not feel comfortable about having the windows open in the area as mentioned above, This is a huge drawback to this motel.

• Liked — Close by my friends house
  • Disliked — No control over the Level of Heat in Room!
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
Los Altos, ca
Reviewed 7 July 2008

The management acts like they are stoned on drugs. Forget about trying to talk with a manager. They knew the elevator had a problem but were too lazy to post a sign to that effect. Instead people would waste a lot of time waiting for an elevator that would never come or if unlucky like my wife you would be trapped on the 3rd floor in 90 degree plus heat. At 7PM they thought they might call the Otis Elevator people. I finally had to call the Fire Dept. MYSELF.
I won't even start on how they messed up my booked dates.

• Disliked — the management
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 28 June 2008

Stayed one night midweek, great price, amazing location. Right in the heart of Downtown Glendale. The streets were packed with vibrant goings ons even on a Tuesday. Great food and shopping all within a 5 minute walk.
The exterior is a bt rough. I was nervous heading to my room, the walkways are worn and the whole thing looks a bit ghetto. I was pleasantly surprised when I got to the room. It was much nicer on the inside than the outside. Decent bed, not poor, just decent. The room was a bit small but for the price was adequate.The elevator was bult by Otis himself. it was ancient and dirty.
My biggest issue is I booked a nonsmoking room and was given a smoking room. No mention of this when I checked in as the girl was talking to one of her friends that was visiting. When I got to my room I called down and was told "sorry, we are booked". That was it. I toughed it out and stayed because it wasnt too stinky, but I probably should have left. At the next hotel all my clothes and luggage reeked of cigarettes. Next time this happens I will know what to do.
How hard is it to put nonsmokers in nonsmoking rooms when thats what they book? Like the old sienfeld episode, its easy to take the reservation, you just have to 'hold' the reservation. Thats what the reservations are really all about isnt it?
Anyway, if I had to stay here again I would, but if I got a smoking room I would leave.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — inability to hold the correct res..
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank PHXTrainer
chula vista
Reviewed 26 June 2008

My family and i had a wonderful satay at this economy hotel. The location was great as it is just across the new Americana and the galleria. The room very comfortable and clean and the place was quiet.The staff was very accomodating and helped us in going places. the hotel had WIFI and DSL internet connection which was great as me and my son was able to use our laptops at the same time. we will surely come back to this hotel on our next trip to glendale.

• Stayed June 2008