“Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else, anywhere else”

Pacifica Suites Santa Barbara
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Goleta
Granite Bay, CA
“Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else, anywhere else”
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I have stayed at this property at least 5 or 6 times, but my last stay was beyond miserable, it was probably illegal. I checked in late, around 8 pm, and reserved a room using their "Internet Special" price, which really should be labeled "Internet Sucker" or something similar. Now I'm wise to this kind of game of dangling a low price to move the worst rooms, so I was prepared for a battle. However, I was given probably the worst room in the place, number 139. If you are given that room, tell them you want something else or walk. It is so close to the freeway you can read the license plate numbers on the cars whizzing by. I did ask for another room but I was told by the front desk clerk that nothing else was available. Heard that before? To translate, it means you took the bait on the worst room, so live with it, you cheapskate. The parking lot was maybe 25% full, so there were plenty of other rooms, but I'm sure the clerk was told to put the cheapskates in the bad rooms.

But wait, it gets worse. I was tired and hungry, so I didn't protest. Resigned to my fate of hearing cars zooming by all night, I went to the room. It was cold when I opened the door, probably in the low 60's. I dropped my bags, went over to the thermostat, turned it to what I thought was the heat, moved the temperature to mid-70's, and nothing happened. I figured it maybe took a minute or so to come on, so I left to get some dinner. When I came back an hour later, the room was still cold, and there was no sound coming from the A/C when I moved the temperature up to maximum.

Now I realize I should have called the front desk and complained. But after being put in my place by the clerk, I wasn't up for another fight. While I unpacked, I turned on the shower to full hot and the hair dryer, and warmed up the room enough so I could get some sleep. I just pretended I was backpacking in the mountains, so the chill in the room was bearable. In the morning the room was cold again, but running the shower while I made coffee took the edge off.

Of course, this begs the question - why would this hotel rent a room with no heat? I had been raining all day and the outside temperature was in the mid-50's, so heat was definitely required. Or did I miss something in the fine print with the "Internet Special" - that heated rooms would be an additional cost?

Having made numerous trips to this area all I can say is stay at this place as a last resort. Other people have written the staff was helpful and friendly but I have not had this experience in any of my numerous stays at this property. I would characterize them as equivalent to airline employees - sometimes you encounter a real gem, but most of them view you as cargo with feet. I would strongly recommend staying at the Courtyard a few miles north, which is much closer to restaurants and is not situated next to a freeway.

Now, just to be fair, I will say their breakfast is very good, cooked to order, and not the usual buffet crap. And yes, I did send a complaint directly to the hotel, via fax, because they have no e-mail address anywhere on their web site. Does that tell you anything?

Room Tip: If you must stay here, get a room on the south side, or go somewhere else.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Lyngengr
PacificaSuitesGM335, General Manager at Pacifica Suites Santa Barbara, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Dear Lyngengr,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us. The comfort and satisfaction of each of our guests is our top priority, and I regret that we were not able to exceed your expectations. Please be assured that we are committed to sharing your comments and working closely with our team in an effort to continually improve our guest experience. Thank you again for your time and helpful comments.

Warm regards,
Tiffany Lesperance

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 7 February 2014

So, I haven't stayed here yet - but I believe in letting everyone start at 5 stars and hopefully it will remain after our experience. :)

We check in tomorrow and I will have my pregnant girlfriend who can smell everything, along with our husbands along for a short visit to Santa Barbara.

We have been told that we have a second story, exterior room facing the freeway, but that out of the options, it should be the "best".

Alex was very helpful and informative - being that I am sure I was annoying with all my questions.. so good on him for being awesome. So far so good. ;P

Downside, 8 miles from downtown SB - but hopefully it won't be an issue.

I'm not going to lie - I am excited to experience the service as well as the breakfast.

Looking forward to tomorrow!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
PacificaSuitesGM335, General Manager at Pacifica Suites Santa Barbara, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Dear MrsDJM,

Thank you for choosing the Pacifica Suites for your visit to Santa Barbara, and for taking the time to share your thoughts on Trip Advisor. I am so glad to hear that Alex was able to address all of your questions during the reservation process. It is our goal to provide an exceptional experience for each of our guests, and I sincerely hope that your stay exceeded your expectations.

Warm regards,
Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed 2 February 2014

While this place seem a little expensive, it's worth it. The rooms are all suites, and you get a very nice living room area with a big flat screen TV, a comfortable couch (coverts to a bed) and a nice desk. The bedroom is roomy, with the most comfortable bed that we've slept on for our whole trip. Breakfast is included, and you get an order card that you circle what you want for breakfast. You then hand it to the cook, who cooks your food to order. The quality of the food was very good. They even have an espresso machine! Would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Get a second floor room for the balcony. The first floor patios open right up to either the courtyar...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CaptainDon58
PacificaSuitesGM335, General Manager at Pacifica Suites Santa Barbara, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear CaptainDon58,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. Our team takes pride in extending great experiences to our guests, and we are so happy to know that you enjoyed your stay at the Pacifica Suites. Our complimentary cooked-to-order breakfast is a great amenity, and we are glad you were able to experience it during your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Warm Regards,

Laguna Niguel, California
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Our family recently stayed at the Pacifica Suites and had a wonderful stay! The accommodations were beyond my expectations and the staff was very helpful and courteous. I highly recommend the Pacificia Suites. It is very conveniently located to UCSB and Downtown Santa Barbara.

Room Tip: The pool side rooms are the most quiet.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Tricia B
San Diego, California
Reviewed 22 January 2014

My family and I stayed for one night and really enjoyed it. The rooms were clean and quiet, the staff was accommodating and the landscaping made it all the better. We will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Marina1259
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

This place is very beautiful and the landscaping is excellent. The room was large and comfortable for 2. I recommend the 2nd floor apartments with a balcony. The staff was wonderful. They were very helpful and their dinner recommendation was right on. There is a pool but it was too cool during our stay to use it.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PhillyRubio
Cross Plains, Texas
Reviewed 15 January 2014

We stayed 2 nights in January for a ladies trip to Santa Barbara. It was a wonderful facility with great customer service! The staff was very friendly and very courteous! Great value for our money with the complimentary breakfast and complimentary wine and snacks in the evening. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank 123456386
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goleta
Best Western Plus South Coast Inn
Best Western Plus Encina Lodge & Suites
Kimpton Canary Hotel
Kimpton Canary Hotel
#6 of 52 in Santa Barbara

Been to Pacifica Suites Santa Barbara? Share your experiences!