“Needs a Remodel for 5 Stars” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bacara Resort & Spa

Bacara Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Goleta
California
“Needs a Remodel for 5 Stars”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

The hotel just appears "tired." When I first arrived that was my first thought. Many of the rooms appear to be a distance from the main lobby and down the hill and if you want to go to the beach that is even further down the hill. Just a fact about the topography. There are bellman that drive luggage carts that will take you down to your room with your bags, but when the key to my room did not work, it took approximately 25 minutes for one to arrive and three phone calls from the hall phone. This is definitely a family resort so if you want quiet, room selection is critical. The service was fine, nothing outstanding for a top rated resort. If you book a partial ocean view, it is definitely very partial. There are better choices in Santa Barbara.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
      Rooms
1 Thank bob411
GuestRelations M, General Manager at Bacara Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear bob411- Thank you for your review. Your feedback is very valuable. I apologize that you had some negative experiences during your time with us. We will certainly take all of your feedback in to consideration. Again, thank you for your review.

Bacara Resort and Spa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (620)
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

We were very impressed by the quality of service at this resort. The staff had a way on checking to see that everything was done to make your stay as enjoyable as possible yet they were never overbearing or intrusive. The room was wonderful and sparkling clean with all the amenities you would expect at a resort of this type and we had a lovely balcony with partial ocean view. We ate at the Spa for lunch 2 days and The Bistro one evening and both were delightful and the food was very good. The wine list is also extensive. The pool by the spa has flavored waters which were refreshing and something different and towels were plentiful and usually warm..right from the dryer. The lounges were incredibly comfortable and there are a couple of "bed" lounges which were awesome. We used the spa for a late checkout and all products and facilities were top notch. It was a very lovely weekend.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor will be more quiet and possibly have ocean view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
1 Thank DebraCalifornia
GuestRelations M, Guest Relations Manager at Bacara Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Dear DebraCalifornia,

Thank you for sharing compliments regarding your recent stay at Bacara. As a Senior Contributor for TripAdvisor we place a very high value on your comments. The experiences shared by guests like yourself allow us to always strive to achieve the next level of exceptional service and improve on all aspects of our resort.

San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

My wife and I decided on treating ourselves to a night at the Bacara while the (local) grandparents took the kids. From check-in to check-out our stay was amazing. We have stayed at a lot of high end resorts in the US and internationally (Caribbean, South Pacific) and the Bacara definitely rated among the best for the service and attention to detail. I'll keep the review short by highlighting the reasons we were both so impressed.

Staff in general was very professional and service oriented. Pool staff was incredible. We never had to go out of our way to ask for drinks or food (They checked in with us often). They replaced wet towels without us even asking. Valet staff asked if we needed directions, helped pack /unpacking anything, and even offered water bottles for the road! Room staff brought extra wine opener immediately after calling for one. I can’t stress enough how this sort of attention to service is really what to me distinguishes a place as top-end.

The location is beautiful. Our room (garden view) had a great view of the pool and a bit of the coast. Room was very clean and had all the comforts. There was a wonderful soaking tub and a separate walk-in shower big enough for two.

While we had lunch/snack food and drinks at the pool we did not eat at any of the on-site restaurants so I can’t comment on those (There are just too many good places to eat in Santa Barbara proper). However, most of the restaurants looked packed when we walked by so that is always good sign.

We definitely did not want to leave and will be back again; hopefully for more than one night this time!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
1 Thank BigR
Dear BigR,

Thank you for your 5 star review. I am elated that Bacara was selected to host your special getaway. Bacara is meant to be a place for rest and relaxation,I am pleased to read that we exceeded your expectations.Thank you for your kind words, I sincerely hope you will have many more chances to getaway and stay with us at Bacara. We look forward to your next visit.

Truly,

Aptos, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

I stayed there recently two times, once with my husband in June and once with my daughter in July. On both occasions, we had one of Bacara's Signature Suites with partial ocean views. I would have given this resort 41/2 stars if allowed, but there were just a few small reasons that I can't give it 5 stars.

The Resort - is lovely, beautifully landscaped. There are two pools in the main area, with an additional smaller pool near the spa. There is a casual restaurant, the Bistro, and an upscale restaurant, the Miro. Oddly, the Miro is not open on Mon. and Tues, even in high season. Wifi is everywhere. Our suite was large and beautiful with a large terrace overlooking the pool area and a partial ocean view. The bed was very comfortable.

The Service - was excellent overall. The pool staff were very available and accommodating. The food served poolside was excellent as well. The only place service fell down a bit was with housekeeping, which had to be reminded to re-supply the coffee supplies, and asked for ice which according to the hotel's info pages, is supposed to be supplied once in the morning and again in the afternoon. One day, our room did not get made up until 4 pm. Like others, we saw used dishes in the hallway, but not very often. The hotel could remedy this by asking people to call in-room dining when they are finished so that staff can take the dishes away. That is what Four Seasons does, and they avoid people shoving their dishes out the door. I would also like to see fresh cream kept in the mini-bar for coffee instead of the fake stuff.

The food - really, really good throughout the resort. Never had a bad meal, and we ate at all the dining venues.

The Spa - very nice. I had a wonderful body treatment that was worth very penny.

Overall, Bacara is a lovely, albeit, very, very expensive resort. I think that some of the service issues in previous reviews, may be related to the fact that unlike lots of other resorts, the business is very seasonal. I was told by one server at the Bistro, that the hotel brings in 70 young people from all over Eastern Europe for the summer season, and we did meet servers from Bulgaria, Macedonia, as so on. Perhaps the training in the spring and early summer was what led to lots of the service complaints. I was a little worried when I booked, but we had great service.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kathryn B
Dear Kathryn B,

Thank you for sharing comments and compliments regarding your recent stays at Bacara. Your patronage as a returning guest is truly appreciated. We place a very high value on guests that take the time to share their experiences. At Bacara or goal is to exceed the expectations of every and earn a 5 start rating. Please accept my apology for not creating a truly perfect experience for you and your family. Your review will be shared with our team in an effort to continue to refine the guest experience. We look forward to your next visit to Santa Barbara and hope you will continue to be a guest at Bacara Resort and Spa.

Stevenson Ranch, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Right on the water with the beach a short walk and views that will take your breath away. The staff is always looking to help. Food prices are a bit high but no higher than any other high end resort. Having a separate beach house right at the beach to order food, umbrella's etc. was great. There is even golf cart service to and from the beach if you can't handle the 4 minute walk.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms closer to the ocean and pools, maybe even a view. Try and stay away from the street s...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
2 Thank stuart g
Dear stuart g,

Thank you for your kind words about Bacara. I am very pleased to read that you were able to enjoy our oceanfront location like many of our guests. Our beach house is just one of the many amenities we are pleased to offer all who choose to stay at Bacara.I hope you will have the opportunity to return again this year.

Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

I had a work event at this hotel...

Positive

Valet - Although they charge $32 per day to valet at least they were on top of it and offered me water when I got my car

Nice grounds

Bell Staff - positive, timely and helpful

Negative

Front desk needs some help, underwhelming and didn't have any clue which room my work event was located, I had to call a colleague

Although Ivan was easy on the eyes I couldn't understand him

Room Service - Food was ok but a $6 delivery charge and a 22% tip really?

No Ice - What hotel doesn't have an ice machine

Glad I went but I will never be back, I don't want to call the bell desk to get from one place of the hotel to the other

See ya,

Room Tip: Save your money, don't stay here
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank robin s
GuestRelations M, General Manager at Bacara Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear Zepinky- Thank you for your honest feedback. Although I am pleased you experienced some positives aspects during your time with us, I am concerned for the mentioned negative comments. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. I do want to offer some insight- our Resort Fees, valet charges as well as delivery charges are indeed hotel standards in destination resorts like Bacara and we must remain competitive to this. Also- we do indeed have ice machines located at various locations on property close proximity to our guest rooms and suites. I appreciate all of your feedback.

Healdsburg, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Amazing service, beautiful grounds, great food and wine and very relaxing. Being on the beach and not having to leave the resort was ideal. I would recommend this hotel to families, business connections and friends.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank jdcollin c
Dear jdcollin c- What a compliment that you are from a wine-country destination and to give praise to the wine at our resort- thank you! Your recommendations to your family, business connections and friends is such an honor. Please come back and visit us again soon.

Thank you for your review.

Bacara Resort and Spa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goleta
Belmond El Encanto
#1 of 51 in Santa Barbara
Montecito Inn
Montecito Inn
#16 of 51 in Santa Barbara

Been to Bacara Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!