“What a wonderful vacation”

The Ritz-Carlton Bacara, Santa Barbara
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Goleta
Reviewed 16 August 2014

From check in to a great room to a fantastic dinner at Miro, great lunches at the Bistro, outstanding massage, we had a perfect vacation. We cycled throughout the Santa Barbara area and even to Solvang. Front staff was very attentive.

Room Tip: Ocean views are incredible
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
GuestRelations M, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Bacara, Santa Barbara, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Dear Mitch G- I am pleased you experienced a pleasant stay from beginning to end. It certainly sounds like you had the opportunity to experience the many wonderful aspects of our resort. Thank you for all of your thoughts!

Truly,

Reviewed 15 August 2014

I had almost forgotten how nice this hotel was! I stayed in the hotel many years ago, and I always said if I went back to Santa Barbara that I would stay there again. Well, a recent trip brought me back to Santa Barbara so I booked a room for my stay. From the time I drove on the property to the time I checked out, I could not have had a better stay. The resort is beautiful! The weather is always great (it seems)! My room was nice and the entire staff was fantastic. From my check in (she helped me find a couple of running trails), to the bell staff (had my bags in my room before I got there), to the wait staff (they made me and my son feel appreciated), to the valets (always had my car ready when I wanted it, with bottles of water)...the entire staff seemed dedicated to outstanding service. My only regret was that my wife wasn't with me. If I ever get a chance to visit Santa Barbara again, I will certainly stay at The Bacara.
PS Make sure you visit the spa!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear Kelly C- Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to share your thoughts on Trip Advisor. I am sure your honest feedback and outlook will be appreciated by other travelers. Please come back and visit us again soon- and I hope your wife has a chance to experience as well!

Reviewed 15 August 2014

We stay at the resort at least once a year, but last week was one of the worst. Service at the restaurant was poor and extremely slow. The pool unmaintained and dirty, band-aids at the bottom of the pool, dirt.

We cut short our stay by one night and we will never return back.

2  Thank gragod
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

We are a family of 7 traveling down the coast from San Francisco to Newport Beach. Santa Barbara is one of our stops along the way. It is beautiful and the Bacara resort and spa is a gem! Make sure you dine downtown at Toma. The food and service was amazing. Wish we had more time to spend here. We will definitely be back!

Stayed: August 2014

Dear Tracey T.- It is wonderful to hear you stop at our resort during your trip from San Francico to Newport Beach! Thank you for your feedback on our resort, as well as a suggestion to other travelers to a local restaurant.

See you again soon.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

We chose Bacara over the Four Seasons and El Encanto because it was on the beach and had hiking trails. When we arrived (after a 5 hour flight and 2 hour drive), the check-in lines were long and slow. After we checked in, we were told how to get to our $1,100 room via map - no one led us to our room, which was on the other end of the property. Once we arrived (after several wrong turns), the furnishings and decor were dated and sparse. We were told we had a "garden room," which meant it was in the basement of a 4-story building and featured some outside chairs near plants. There was very little light in the room. The rooms are incredibly noisy - we could hear people and dogs outside, as well as the people directly above us (we eventually had to call the front desk to ask the people upstairs to stop moving furniture). When we woke up, we realized we had made a mistake and booked a room at the El Encantado. To the Bacara manager's credit, he allowed us to cancel our remaining nights and spa appointments with no penalty, but he did charge us $1,100 for our unsatisfactory 12-hour stay. I highly recommend the El Encantado. We were able to book an $800 villa that includes front and back decks and a fireplace. The rooms at El Encantado, which recently underwent a huge $100 million renovation, are not attached to other rooms and are not in hotel buildings like the Bacara. The spa is amazing, the restaurant is fantastic with an amazing view, and there's a free shuttle all day to take you to and from downtown and the beach.

2  Thank ShannonRW

Dear Shannon RW- Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Although I am pleased our management team was able to assist, I regret you had reached that point to begin with. I am happy to share that thousands of guests stay at Bacara. I am sorry you left our resort with a negative perception. I will share your review with the team.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Excellent hotel excellent service very relaxing. Would love to go back. Has excellent amenities. Very secluded, quiet and relaxing. Would love to try the spa amenities. Food and service was excellent. Loved the room.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
GuestRelations M, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton Bacara, Santa Barbara, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear Marilyn F- It is wonderful to read your beaming comments on Trip Advisor! Thank you for taking the time to share with other travelers. I am pleased you enjoyed your time. Come back and visit us again soon!

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Only if they set out to match the impressive surroundings with services that befit the grand resort.... It seemed as if the staff was instructed to always repeat: I am sorry, but we are fully committed; I am sorry, right away; and I am sorry, we will get it to you immediately. But as graciously as these apologies were provided, none of it seemed genuine. The resort didn't appear to be full, and yet there was no flexibility or availability for requests, for spa services for example. Right away or immediately meant when they could get to it, at their convenience. For housekeeping services, for example, or for your breakfast orders even when we were in a hurry and even when the hostess said she would advise our server, which she forgot to do. And the food was just ok, just acceptable.

But, again, the view and the resort buildings were beautiful and tranquil.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank TorontoJaneH

Dear TorontoJaneH- Although I am pleased you enjoyed the surroundings, I am disappointed you found our service slow- and otherwise insincere. Your feedback is very helpful and I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. I have shared your review with the management staff at all the mentioned areas of concern. Again, thank you for your time.

Bacara Resort & Spa

Also consider these accommodations in or near Goleta
Kimpton Canary Hotel
#11 of 52 in Santa Barbara
Kimpton Goodland
Kimpton Goodland
#6 of 12 in Goleta

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Bacara, Santa Barbara? Share your experiences!