“Great rooms, reasonable price, unfriendly management”

Extended Stay America - Santa Barbara - Calle Real
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Goleta
Santa Barbara, California, United States
“Great rooms, reasonable price, unfriendly management”
Reviewed 17 March 2013

I'm a local and needed a place to stay while looking for a new apartment. The Extended Stay was especially appealing because of the kitchenettes they have in each room.

Pros: Room was clean and comfortable, and it was great to be able to make my own coffee in the morning and cook my own meals. The heater/AC was easy to use and worked very well. The large flat-screen television and reclining chair were both nice touches. Their "grab-and-go" breakfast was all right, too. Also, it's pet-friendly, although they do charge an extra fee. ($25 a day up to $150.)

Cons: While it was mostly quiet, I could hear the sounds the elevator made, which was slightly annoying. The free wireless internet was quite slow. You could pay an extra fee for faster internet, although I chose not to. The worst part of my stay was the staff. One of the people working the front desk was very friendly, but didn't seem to know what she was doing at all. And the general manager was very unfriendly to me, whether I was asking for more coffee creamer or extending my stay for an extra week. I don't know what exactly I did to offend her, but she treated me as if I'd killed her cat or something, despite the fact that I was nothing but polite and respectful towards her. And it didn't seem like it was just me. From what little I witnessed of her interactions with other guests, she seemed equally rude and condescending.

Room Tip: If possible, request a room farther down the hall from the elevator. Hopefully that would cut down o...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Michael D, Manager at Extended Stay America - Santa Barbara - Calle Real, responded to this review, 22 March 2013
I received a copy of your review and wanted to thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your room. I sincerely apologize that you were treated unkindly. I am very disappointed that you left feeling that way and will work to improve our staff to avoid that in the future. If you would like to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact me at sbn@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel or any other Extended Stay America should the need arise in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Walker, Louisiana
Reviewed 13 March 2013

Driving up Hwy 1 we walked in and got a hotel for the night. Only had 2 bed options. Small room. Once we were getting bed, the bed had a huge water spot thru the comforter and all sheets. We called the front desk and were placed in another room but it was a handicap accessible room which was quite a hassle with the shower. Staff very friendly.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I sincerely apologize for the problem you encountered with your room. In response to your feedback I will be addressing this issue with my staff. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate your comments. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you are in town.

Travellers are raving about these Goleta hotels

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 11 March 2013 via mobile

Had a great stay, friendly staff, room was clean. Got there Saturday afternoon, check in took about 5 mins. The room was more then I expected. The room was spacious and comfortable. However, the bed was not comfortable. Felt like it was sinking towards the middle. It also helps that there is a great restaurant across the street.

Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Stepan S
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I do apologize your bed wasn't up to your standards! We hope to see you on your next visit to Santa Barbara.
Victorville, California, United States
Reviewed 8 March 2013

The hole staff made me feel at home. If you like in and out right across the street. Walking distance to Von's. Nice walking trail behind hotel. I do my own cooking in the room so the kitchenette is great. Rooms very clean,Landry room clean grounds well kept. It really was so nice
it helps to keep me from missing home.

Room Tip: Don't stay to close to the elevator or the trash room door slams.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Rick C
I would like to thank you for taking time to write such a nice review about our hotel. We are totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest. Feedback such as yours tells us we are delivering on our commitment. We strive to provide a “home away from home" experience. We are honored for your recognition. We hope to see you again!
So Cal
Reviewed 1 March 2013

This was the perfect place for a one night stay in Santa Barbara. It was right in between downtown area and UCSB. I was very pleased with the location ( nice, safe area) and the outside appearance was nice. Inside the room was clean and newly remodeled. I had no complaints whatsoever.although, I asked for a non-smoking room but I could still smell a hint of cigs ... but I barely spent anytime in the room - ITS SANTA BARBARA GO OUTSIDE AND EXPLORE.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MariG117
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. Your review is very much appreciated by entire staff. It lets us know we are accomplishing our goal in providing our guests with a comfortable, clean room at an affordable price. We hope to see you again on your next visit to beautiful Santa Barbara!
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 19 February 2013

We were looking to make a quick trip to SB, and didn't want to spend a ton on a hotel room that would only be used for sleep. The Extended Stay was one of the lowest chain options in the area. Having stayed in a similar hotel before, having the little kitchenette is a nice amenity (especially with a 6 mon. old baby).

Overall, the facility is clean. Although, our room smelled like someone had smoked in it, but was labeled a "non-smoking" room. The only other knock on the place was the paper-thin walls/ceilings. We heard a small dog bark non-stop for about an hour that night, along with heavy footsteps in the room above us. I know that's the downfall of many hotels, but it seemed excessive here.

Also, if you have pet allergies it may be good to know that a lot of people with pets stay here. Didn't bother us (besides the incessant barking dog), but while loading our car in the morning, we noticed about 6-7 dogs coming out of the hotel. Just an fyi...

Overall, you get about what you pay for here. Being the first time we've stayed in SB, I can't say that we'll rush back to this hotel upon a return visit, but it was good enough for our one-night stay this time around.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank swa1976
HotelManagement14, Manager at Extended Stay America - Santa Barbara - Calle Real, responded to this review, 21 February 2013
Thank you for takng the time to review our hotel. We are glad that overall your stay was good. I do apologize for the noisy dog! We normally do not have problems with noise. We also do offer rooms that are NOT pet friendly so you can be assured of having a pet free room! Thank you again and please do consider us when returning to Santa Barbara.
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 13 February 2013

I am currently on a super extended stay here...I am staying here until I find the right place to live on my own. It's in a great location (closer to Goleta than downtown Santa Barbara). It only takes 5-10 minutes to get anywhere you need. Plus, In & Out Burger is right across the street! (just avoid the temptation to eat there too much) Overall, this is great place to stay...very relaxed. The front desk staff as well as the cleaning staff are SUPER friendly! It's a "home like feel" atmosphere. I am very comfortable here. The rates are very good considering all of the amenities. My room is basically like a very clean, spacious studio apartment. The only negative is that the beds are a little harder & less comfy than I am used to.

I completely recommend Extended Stay America - Santa Barbara!!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Bryan L
Thank you for writing such a great review of our property. We appreciate your kind comments. I will share them with our staff. It gives me great pleasure to see we have accomplished our goal in making you feel at home in a clean comfortable room! Thanks again!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goleta
Best Western Plus South Coast Inn
Pacifica Suites Santa Barbara
Hampton Inn Santa Barbara/Goleta
Best Western Plus Pepper Tree Inn
Best Western Plus Encina Lodge & Suites
Ramada Santa Barbara
Ramada Santa Barbara
#25 of 52 in Santa Barbara

Been to Extended Stay America - Santa Barbara - Calle Real? Share your experiences!