“Has potential but falls short”

Best Western Plus South Coast Inn
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Goleta
Reviewed 24 August 2012

I don't normally use Best Western but this was the only property available in town for my trip. Quite disappointing for the price and considering this is Best Western's mid-class hotel.

Negative
- significant mold visibly growing in the air conditioning unit on the vents where the air comes out
- bathroom had a distinct sewage smell probably caused by the toilet not completely filling after flushing and allowing air to escape through the trap
- There were stains on the walls between the beds and the area around the night table was covered in dust and had obviously not been cleaned in a very long time.
- the refrigerator was located under the sink in the bathroom (?) it took me a couple of days to figure that out and even then it was so small it couldn't hold a standard take out containter.

Positive
- beautifully landscaped but I would much rather have a clean room
- staff happily adjusted our changing reservations several times with no problems

I opted to check out of this place and drive from the next town after a few days of staying here. Makes me want to avoid Best Western in the future.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank 744CitizenB
South-Coast I, Manager at Best Western Plus South Coast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are so glad that you enjoyed the grounds and many of the other great amenities we have to offer.

Our staff strives to provide the best customer service and cleanliness, and we are very surprised that you had a negative experience in the room during your stay. Just this week I had two guests specifically ask to speak to me, and compliment us on how clean our rooms are.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 805.967.3200.

Reviewed 15 August 2012

We have stayed here several times and it is always a mixed bag. The rooms are clean, nicely sized, and the bedding comfortable. There are plenty of towels and pillows. There is an outdoor pool and jacuzzi and many restaurants and stores near-by (including Trader Joe's!) I find the breakfast buffet to be average at best. There is quantity, but not quality...the breakfast area is larger than most and when the weather is beautiful eating out on the patio is a great option. My real complaints are the thinness of the walls and the friendliness of the staff. This trip we were placed right next to the laundry room and could hear the machines working all day, including some rather loud noises when the plumbing was used to fill the washers. I figured this was just going to be a problem during the day with the maids changing out so much bedding, but alas, I was woken in the middle of the night by the noise as well. You can also hear the upstairs neighbors everytime they walk across the floor. The staff *is* professional, but not friendly. Even a simple "Good morning" was not returned by some staff members. So, would I stay here again? Yes...but I always compare the price between this Best Western and the Holiday Inn next door and go with the cheapest option. It is significantly cheaper than anything in downtown Santa Barbara and there is certainly less traffic in Goleta with easy access to the airport and beach. The property backs up on a nice residential neighborhood that is very family friendly and safe.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank 7Kathi_D
South-Coast I, Manager at Best Western Plus South Coast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2012

Thanks so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are so glad that you continue to come back to our property and that you enjoy so many of the great amenities we have to offer. On behalf of our entire team, I apologize for the noise that you encountered. I was very surprised to hear there was a noise issue since all of our walls and floors are concrete block, and we do not usually have any noise complaints from other floors or neighboring rooms. Please contact me direct prior to your next stay and I would love to give you a complimentary upgrade for your trouble.

We look forward to seeing you again soon,

AGM

Reviewed 13 July 2012

Used the South Coast Inn as our touring base for a few days before heading for Los Angeles and it served us well. Situated in well maintained grounds, the bedroom was a little dated, albeit I couldn't fault the cleanliness of the room. A satisfactory breakfast is provided and there's plenty of free parking around the hotel. Convenient for Santa Barbara and only a few blocks from the main highway. Backs onto a residential neighbourhood and had no concerns about the area. Certainly worth considering if you're in that area.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Walnut-Whips
South-Coast I, Manager at Best Western Plus South Coast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2012

Thank you so much for choosing us as your hotel while you were in town. We appreciate your positive review. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Happy travels,

AGM

Reviewed 12 July 2012

Stayed there for five nights, the price was above average on our trip when compared to the quality. But it was clean, served a pretty good breakfast and was located in a nice area with supermarkets and restaurants within 1 mile.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 July 2012

The garden was well cared for and a lovely amenity. Plenty of places to sit and enjoy the lovely space. The pool area was pleasant and clean. We enjoyed the ping-pong table that was out on the upper patio.

The breakfast bar was one of the most complete that we've experienced in this level of hotel: boiled eggs, frittata, sausage, bagels and cream cheese, yogurt, toast, cold cereal, fresh fruit, espresso machine and more.

Our room had two queen sized beds. The remote was in one of those "fresh remote" bags. The white duvet on the bed was sandwiched between two white sheets instead of a difficult to remove cover. I felt as though the staff was making an extra effort to show that they take cleanliness seriously. Very nice. Plenty of towels and toiletries. The air conditioner and fan worked properly and provided white noise.

The train tracks are nearby and there are frequent trains that go through the area. We didn't find this to be a problem, but some may. In spite of the nice garden area, there is a fair amount of road noise. We didn't find this to be a problem due to the ability to run the fan all night.

The location was conveniently located relative to the UCSB campus, beaches and the greater Santa Barbara area with our rental car. Plenty of restaurants and a grocery store within walking distance.

A notice in the room indicated that this hotel is undergoing renovations for the next several months between the hours of 10am-4pm. We didn't experience any disruption during our stay. The renovations should help update the well worn wall coverings, furniture and bathrooms.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank SubarcticHomebody
Management response:Responded 6 July 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such an in depth and detailed review. We appreciate hearing thoughts of our guests and the feedback you left will help us maintain the things people love and improve the things they don't. We are happy that you enjoyed all of our great amenities and had a great stay. WE hope to see you again next time you are in the area!

Thanks again,

Reviewed 25 June 2012

This is a very nice property with nice landscaping. We were only there one night, so we didn't get a chance to see much, but we were overall impressed. I thought the rooms were a little overpriced, but location has a lot to do with that. The bed was comfortable and the room was very clean. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: This hotel is getting ready to undergo a major renovation, so you may want to call first to see if i...