“Basic needs met” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Goleta
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Basic needs met”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012

Haven't stayed in a Best Western in many years, but this was convenient for my situation. Room was spacious enough and the bed comfortable. However, it was hotter than usual that week and the a/c unit didn't comfortably cool the room--kept going on and off, and it was too cold when on then too warm when off. Aggravating the problem was that the only blanket was a (feather?) quilt--too hot when it was on you, too cold without.

I appreciated having the fridge in the room to keep milk and snacks--although it was set too cold and the milk froze. Free wi-fi I guess is pretty standard, but I thought they offered more TV stations than most hotels. Others complained about the quality of the food for the free breakfast buffet, but I thought it was just fine given the situation; certainly convenient, The frittata was good, and on Sunday they had real bacon which was better than the microwave sausage on the other days. The usual array of cereals, muffins, bagels and pastries. Most important was that the coffee was good and they had a great cappuccino machine that had a whole host of yummy choices. You could eat inside or out in the courtyard which was lovely.

Price-wise it varied from $110 TO $150 (with AAA discount), the latter price for Saturday night seemed a little pricey for a Best Western--but the whole Santa Barbara area is expensive (and this is about 8 miles out). Did not get to use pool and jacuzzi but looked nice. 4 out of 5 rating seemed a little too high, I would give more like 3.5.

Room Tip: My room in the back was quiet but I would ask for a room on the courtyard. Ask for 1st floor unless...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
South-Coast I, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS South Coast Inn, responded to this review, 18 September 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a detailed review of our hotel. We are so glad that you enjoyed our breakfast, coffee machine, rooms and many other amenities. We strive to provide great service and are glad that your needs were met.

We are also in the midst of upgrading the hotel, to include the air conditioning. We hope that you will be able to come back and stay again to enjoy the new rooms.

AGM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Los Angeles, California, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012 via mobile

We were passng through and found this "hotel " on line as one of the few available over labor day weekend. Needless to say, we left after one hour of checking in 10:00 pm with our sleeping 2 year old. The room had a terrible smell , there was loud noise , banging etc next door & above us . We complained to management and was told there was not much they could do on a holiday weekend . Nonetheless , definitely not a place I would ever recommend .

• Stayed September 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our property.

We would love to be able to keep other guests from making noises, but sometime this happens and we apologize.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 805.967.3200.

Ghent, Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2012

It was our first stay in a Best Western hotel, but since then we've become a fan. Clean and good sized room and bathroom with everything we needed (towels, coffee, soap,...). Breakfast buffet is a bit dissapointing. There is no possibility to have a snack or drink in the cafetaria during lunch or dinner, which isn't very comfortable with little children. Also, the hotel is quite expensive, being located some miles away from Santa Barbara.
If you're used to small hotelrooms in Europe, this will be a blast :-)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
South-Coast I, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS South Coast Inn, responded to this review, 11 September 2012
Thank you so much for choosing our hotel for your vacation spot! We are so glad that you had the chance to enjoy all that our hotel has to offer. We would love to have you come back soon. I think that you would appreciate staying with us in a slower season such as Winter or Spring, when we offer the same great amenities, but the rates are not as high as Summer.
Hope to see you again soon,

Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2012

I don't normally use Best Western but this was the only property available in town for my trip. Quite disappointing for the price and considering this is Best Western's mid-class hotel.

Negative
- significant mold visibly growing in the air conditioning unit on the vents where the air comes out
- bathroom had a distinct sewage smell probably caused by the toilet not completely filling after flushing and allowing air to escape through the trap
- There were stains on the walls between the beds and the area around the night table was covered in dust and had obviously not been cleaned in a very long time.
- the refrigerator was located under the sink in the bathroom (?) it took me a couple of days to figure that out and even then it was so small it couldn't hold a standard take out containter.

Positive
- beautifully landscaped but I would much rather have a clean room
- staff happily adjusted our changing reservations several times with no problems

I opted to check out of this place and drive from the next town after a few days of staying here. Makes me want to avoid Best Western in the future.

Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank 744CitizenB
South-Coast I, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS South Coast Inn, responded to this review, 27 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are so glad that you enjoyed the grounds and many of the other great amenities we have to offer.

Our staff strives to provide the best customer service and cleanliness, and we are very surprised that you had a negative experience in the room during your stay. Just this week I had two guests specifically ask to speak to me, and compliment us on how clean our rooms are.

Santa Barbara, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2012

We have stayed here several times and it is always a mixed bag. The rooms are clean, nicely sized, and the bedding comfortable. There are plenty of towels and pillows. There is an outdoor pool and jacuzzi and many restaurants and stores near-by (including Trader Joe's!) I find the breakfast buffet to be average at best. There is quantity, but not quality...the breakfast area is larger than most and when the weather is beautiful eating out on the patio is a great option. My real complaints are the thinness of the walls and the friendliness of the staff. This trip we were placed right next to the laundry room and could hear the machines working all day, including some rather loud noises when the plumbing was used to fill the washers. I figured this was just going to be a problem during the day with the maids changing out so much bedding, but alas, I was woken in the middle of the night by the noise as well. You can also hear the upstairs neighbors everytime they walk across the floor. The staff *is* professional, but not friendly. Even a simple "Good morning" was not returned by some staff members. So, would I stay here again? Yes...but I always compare the price between this Best Western and the Holiday Inn next door and go with the cheapest option. It is significantly cheaper than anything in downtown Santa Barbara and there is certainly less traffic in Goleta with easy access to the airport and beach. The property backs up on a nice residential neighborhood that is very family friendly and safe.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank 7Kathi_D
South-Coast I, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS South Coast Inn, responded to this review, 17 August 2012
Thanks so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are so glad that you continue to come back to our property and that you enjoy so many of the great amenities we have to offer. On behalf of our entire team, I apologize for the noise that you encountered. I was very surprised to hear there was a noise issue since all of our walls and floors are concrete block, and we do not usually have any noise complaints from other floors or neighboring rooms. Please contact me direct prior to your next stay and I would love to give you a complimentary upgrade for your trouble.

We look forward to seeing you again soon,

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

Used the South Coast Inn as our touring base for a few days before heading for Los Angeles and it served us well. Situated in well maintained grounds, the bedroom was a little dated, albeit I couldn't fault the cleanliness of the room. A satisfactory breakfast is provided and there's plenty of free parking around the hotel. Convenient for Santa Barbara and only a few blocks from the main highway. Backs onto a residential neighbourhood and had no concerns about the area. Certainly worth considering if you're in that area.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Walnut-Whips
South-Coast I, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS South Coast Inn, responded to this review, 17 July 2012
Thank you so much for choosing us as your hotel while you were in town. We appreciate your positive review. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Happy travels,

Bucharest, Romania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2012

Stayed there for five nights, the price was above average on our trip when compared to the quality. But it was clean, served a pretty good breakfast and was located in a nice area with supermarkets and restaurants within 1 mile.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Goleta
Pacifica Suites Santa Barbara
Courtyard Santa Barbara Goleta
Hampton Inn Santa Barbara/Goleta
Kimpton Goodland
Kimpton Goodland
#6 of 10 in Goleta
BEST WESTERN PLUS Pepper Tree Inn
Extended Stay America - Santa Barbara - Calle Real

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS South Coast Inn? Share your experiences!