“I like the all-you-can-eat Friday night buffet”

Pepe's Mexican Food
Ranked #30 of 141 Restaurants in Goleta
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Santa Barbara, California
“I like the all-you-can-eat Friday night buffet”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I like the all-you-can-eat buffet on Tuesday and Friday nights. Co-workers had recommended Pepe's and I stopped by one Friday night after work. The minute I sat down I was served with chips and salsa, and the buffet was hot and welcoming. It had a great variety of foods (both meat and vegetarian) and was the perfect spot to stop in after a long work week. I got there at 5 p.m. (when the buffet starts) and by the time I left, the whole place was full of happy locals enjoying Mexican food. The price for all-you-can-eat was just great, at $11.95.

At the Tuesday night buffet, children under 10 eat for free, with each paying adult. There are also lunch buffets Wednesday through Friday, and a brunch buffet from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Sundays. Aside from the buffet times, Pepe's also has an ample menu that should satisfy any taste, with very reasonable prices.

The décor is simple but pleasant and homey, the service friendly. Pepe's has been a family restaurant here since 1958 when Goleta was just a small town, and that's what it feels like - a down-home, small-town family restaurant with happy locals enjoying good Mexican food.

• Visited April 2014

Circle Pines, Minnesota
“Just the ticket”
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Nothing too fancy here. Just solid, authentic, food, Period. The rellenos I had were exceptionally tasty and my business partner loved the Chille Verde. Our service was definitely more than a little slow (we were actually even cautioned about the slow service), the margaritas were a bit weak, and while I don't know if I would "rave" about it, it was very good indeed, large portions, and reasonably priced. All in all, a great option for good food, and a good place to keep in your back pocket.

Sedona, Arizona
“just okay”
Reviewed 18 July 2013

My husband and I stopped by to have a lunch here as it was rated so highly in TripAdvisor. Not sure that we agree with these ratings, but perhaps it was an off day. We rate this as just okay and average Mexican food. We sat outside and were the only ones there. It seemed a little run down and the chips/salsa did not seem to be a "wow." The carnitas that my husband had was just okay. The flan was rich, heavy (in a good way) and tasty. We will not be back here the next time we are in SB area.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Just your average Mexican restaurant....at best”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We read the raves reviews about this restaurant and were so disappointed when it didn't even come close to what people raved about. We ordered the house margaritas and all three of us said they were tasteless. They tasted like watered down limeade. We ordered the three enchiladas and it would have been nice to have had the enchiladas at least warm when they were served. They tasted adequate but that was it. We were given complimentary chips and salsa. We have eaten at many Mexican restaurants and always like to try new ones when we are on a vacation. This one will be crossed off the list when we return to the Santa Barbara area.

• Visited July 2013
“Where locals go for great food and margaritas!”
Reviewed 5 July 2013 via mobile

A trip to Goleta would not be complete without several meals at Pepe's. I could live on their salsa, guacamole and cheese enchiladas... And margaritas, of course. Absolute HEAVEN! The waitstaff has always been great. I can't wait until my next trip.

• Visited April 2013