“Its good, but its not "luxury"”
Review of Chalet View Lodge

Chalet View Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Graeagle
GreenLeadersGold level
Durango, Colorado
“Its good, but its not "luxury"”
Reviewed 23 October 2012

This is a nice lodge. I was there in off-season, and for what was probably one of the first snows of the season, so I wasn't partaking in amenities like golf or pool. I do not however find it to be "luxury". The staff with which I had interactions with was nice (just a couple of times at the front desk, once because the power went out in the entire area, and the waitress for dinner). I stayed in a basic hotel room. The beds and linens are nice, the floors are tile, and there is no separate bathroom heater. The hot water did start to waiver during both my and my husband's shower on my last day there. With the advertisement of a spa, I would expect shampoo, conditioner and lotion at least in the bathroom - its been my experience that most spa hotels offer some of their products in travel size containers, but there were just wall mounted containers of "gel douche" and "shampooing" in the shower and "soap" and "lotion" by the sink - no conditioner, and no way of telling what quality of product you were getting - which is OK, just once again I wouldn't consider it "luxury". Also for a "luxury spa" that has rooms with tiled floors, in-floor heat along with complimentary robes and slippers in the room would be expected. Not that its always expected, but it is when you advertise luxury. To their credit these sorts of items usually come with a $200 a night room, so I believe this and many of the not so great reviews just stem from the expectations set up by the lodge's description of itself. Overall I thought the room was fine. The hot tub was a disappointment - the one by the pool was drained and the other one was very much out of chemical balance with cloudy water that smelled funny. And the biggest disappointment of all was dinner. Made a reservation at 7pm and ordered a steak. (Much of the menu was off limits for me because of food allergies, which I'm used to dealing with, but when I order a $28 steak I expect it to be GOOD.) The ribeye was flavorless and tough. And a staff member decided it appropriate to vacuum nearby while we were still finishing our meal. And yes, the TV's in the (hotel) rooms are unusually small. This isn't a problem for me personally, but I noticed some other reviews mentioning it and it does look a bit odd given there is ample wall space, and I've never seen that small of a TV in a hotel room before, and I've stayed in plenty. I spent my final afternoon there in the lobby taking care of some work, and for a day dumping down snow, I was a bit surprised the fireplace wasn't going. It was off-season, so maybe they were running on a skeleton crew, and no, owners before you jump on this review like I saw you did with others, I didn't actually ask someone to light it. Should I have needed to? At a luxury lodge on a snowy day? So in closing, I found it to be nice and even above average in most respects, but there are some things that definitely need attention if this lodge is to live up to its description as a luxury destination.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank kjf190
rc_hickman, Owner at Chalet View Lodge, responded to this review, 25 October 2012
We sure wish that this guest had stayed in one of our upgraded true spa rooms, if that is what they were looking for. We have attempted to please the business traveler as well as the resort guest with a wide array of room types. Thanks to this guest for commenting on the tv, we are in the process of replacing them with larger units. We are sorry about the fact that the fire wasn't going in the lobby all day long, we would have been happy to light it, and that the jacuzzi wasn't pristine, it usually is. The rib-eye steak is usually raved about and we would have been happy to cook another if we had known. In an effort to do our part ecologically we have replaced the individual plastic throw away amenities with more "green" dispensers. We hope that this review will not discourage other would be guests that are looking for more of a spa type experience: our day spa is typically highly rated. Bob and Carrie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 16 October 2012

I was only able to stay here one night and wish I could have extended my stay! The room had a beautiful view of the pines and scenery. The decor was top notch. It appeared that every detail had been considered to make the rooms stylish yet comfortable. The staff was friendly and thoughtful. Also loved relaxing in the lounge near the fire with some fabulous wine. The owner gives the place a personal touch by talking with all of the guests. I'll definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
It is so rewarding to receive reviews such as this. It was a pleasure to meet you, Jennifer, I had a great time talking with you and Oxanna. People like you make this a wonderful endeavor!
roseville
Reviewed 12 October 2012

Stayed here for two nights while enjoying a golf trip in the area. It is a great little place to stay just outside of Graeagle off the Feather river highway. It is a newer hotel with some nice ammenities including pool, spa, indoor/outdoor dining with a wood fired outdoor oven, and little pitch an putt golf course, rental bikes, volleyball court, a little lake with fire pit and spa. The units are very clean and quiet. The unit we stayed in was two story unit with very comfortable king bed and bath on the bottom floor with a sitting room up stairs. Not sure if this was a sofa bed or not. If so, nice for kids, but wouldn't advise for another couple since no additional bath room. As a tip if you like beer, make sure you take a trip to the Under Cover Ale works a short drive down the highway before the turn off to Graeagle. It's a hidden micro brew gem!

Room Tip: Seems like there are several different types of rooms to choose from including small cabins with kit...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 7 October 2012

Great stay. Lovely place! Good food and great service. The staff and owners are responsive and welcoming. We enjoyed the golf and the horseshoes and the fire pit and the fishing pond. Beds were very comfortable and rooms were lovely!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Napa, California
Reviewed 4 October 2012

My husband and I spent two comfortable nights at the Lodge, which included an "extended" continental breakfast (French toast & waffles). The owner was very welcoming and cordial, and the few staff we met were at the ready to please. Casual evening dining on the patio was so relaxing, and food very good (spaghetti Bolognese and Caesar salad). We missed out on the brick oven pizzas but heard awesome reports on that. We highly recommend this lodging for its staff friendliness and very nice accommodations. Also, on the property are a short game golf course, horseshoes, bocce ball court, and fire pit by the pond with chairs and table for guests to use. It would make a perfect location for family gatherings with cabins on the property in addition to the main lodge..

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 3 October 2012

This place is great! My wife and I had a great time here. It is in a beautiful location, the room was clean, elegant and kept in great shape for guests. The entire property was very nice with many amenities and fun stuff to do. We didn't get a chance to eat dinner on the terrace, but it looked lovely. They even had a brick pizza oven which I'm sure cooks some great pizzas. Staff was friendly. I honestly have no complaints and I've already recommended to several people.

Room Tip: The suites are pretty sweet.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
home
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Stayed here this past month. The hotel is promoted well, was given the impression by the website and the person taking my reservation that this would be an awesome place to stay and dine. Was told how wonderful the restaurant was. made a reservation for dinner for 8pm....when we got to the hotel to check in....no one was at the desk. The hostess finally gets there..(after she finished some housekeeping type duties). ok....whatever. Get to the room....looks nice...fireplace, that did not work. No heat...froze...luckily the bed was compfy and had thick comforter....slate floors were really cold. The restaurant was the worst...mostly because of rude and poor service. Even the owner was rude. It was obvious that our ?late reservation was getting in the way of them closing up and leaving....We won't go back...the food was less than great. stick with the pizza if you go. and go early.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank marykrohne
Also consider these accommodations in or near Graeagle
Nakoma Resort
#3 of 5 in Sierra City
Gold Lake Lodge
Gold Lake Lodge
#2 of 4 in Graeagle

Been to Chalet View Lodge? Share your experiences!