“I really want to say something nice, but...”
Review of Chalet View Lodge

Chalet View Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Graeagle
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Our trip to Chalet View Lodge this weekend was close to a complete debacle. Our Deluxe Terrace Suite was nice, but as the prior contributor stated, claiming it is "deluxe by any standards" is a bit of a stretch. I don't want ot be too negative, so let's just say our room was nice. To be perfectly honest, our unhappiness with the stay had to do with service (or lack thereof) and not the accommodations.
Approximately a month before our stay I called and booked our reservation speaking directly to Bob, the owner. He was very cordial and helpful The week before we were going to arrive I called with a couple of questions and I was told by a young lady who said she was the manager that she could not find my reservation. I explained I had an email with a confirmation number on it, but she insisted there was no reservation in her system. I told her Bob had taken the reservation and she said, "That explains it". She then asked me for my credit card so she could make a new reservation. I hesitated because I did not want to risk getting double-billed for a room, but I accommodated her request because I did not want to risk getting charged $180 for not showing up when someone finally found my original reservation. The manager assured me there would
be only one reservation, but it didn't turn out that way.
On our arrival the manager who took my second reservation handled our check-in and everything seemed to be going smoothly.
On Saturday morning the problems started. The first problem we had was a dog in the unit next to us barking incessantly. After four calls to the front desk someone finally answered. I explained the problem to young lady. She told me she knew exactly what room the dog was in but since the owner of the dog was not on the premises the only thing she could do was try to call him and see if he would come back. We continued to spend our morning listening to the barking dog.
We had our "Do not disturb" sign on our door, but housekeeping knocked anyway. My wife explained to the maid we were getting ready to leave (to escape the dog noise) and asked her if she could come back a little later. About 10 minutes later the young lady at the front desk called to say her computer was showing that we had already checked out and we were supposed to be in a different room. I attempted to explain what might have caused the confusion and when I got to the part where Bob took my reservation, she said, "That explains it". I was starting to see a pattern.
I finally convinced the young lady at desk that we had a two-day reservation and we were in the correct room. My wife and I then went about our day. Upon our return three and a half hours later we found our room had not been cleaned. When I tried to call the front desk, no answer. I walked to the office to discuss the situation with someone only to find a different young lady and she was helping people at their Starbuck's coffee booth. After waiting for her to make/serve seven specialty coffee drinks I was able to explain my problem. She replied that she was sorry but the cleaning staff had left for the day. In fairness she offered to call someone and they could be there in 30-45 minutes to have the room cleaned. Really? It was almost 4:00 in the afternoon and the last thing my wife and I wanted to do is leave our room again so it could be cleaned. I settled on a couple of clean towels and some coffee for the morning.
At that point I asked to speak to Bob. Not available...out of town. Carrie, his wife...out of town with Bob. How about the manager? Nope...gone for the day. I headed back to my room to clean it myself. I'm sure worse things than this have happened to many travelers, but the combination of events was more than enough to suck the fun out of our stay.
In all fairness we were given a discount on our way out, but I would have much rather have had the experience I originally agreed to pay for and not a bunch of apologies and a rate reduction.
All three of the young ladies we dealt with were amiable and courteous, but I don't think it's realistic to have any one of them attempt to run this lodge by themselves. From my perspective they were expected to run the front desk, the Starbuck's coffee booth and manage the facility.
Combine that with all the reduntant confusion surrounding our reservation and our room not be cleaned and you have a very unfulfilling travel experience.

2  Thank OldNorCalGuy
rc_hickman, Owner at Chalet View Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2012

We are disappointed when a guests stay is spoiled by things that should be in our control, occasionally reservations are messed up.
We have a pet friendly policy but occasionally it isn't followed: the guests are not to leave their pets unattended, and are responsible if they disturb another guest.
As far as staffing, typically Carrie and I are the second and third person on and we were understaffed during this guests stay, we have corrected this and hopefully it won't reoccur.
According to housekeeping they knocked on the door at 10:30 because it was a quiet day( except for the dog)and they would be leaving. They came back at 12 and the sign was still up. We have a statement that if the DDD sign is still up at 12 housekeeping will not be done.
Unfortunately, we can't be here all of the time, but we do try, and we do try to try to get everything right all of the time, this time clearly we didn't. Bob and Carrie

Reviewed 23 October 2012

This is a nice lodge. I was there in off-season, and for what was probably one of the first snows of the season, so I wasn't partaking in amenities like golf or pool. I do not however find it to be "luxury". The staff with which I had interactions with was nice (just a couple of times at the front desk, once because the power went out in the entire area, and the waitress for dinner). I stayed in a basic hotel room. The beds and linens are nice, the floors are tile, and there is no separate bathroom heater. The hot water did start to waiver during both my and my husband's shower on my last day there. With the advertisement of a spa, I would expect shampoo, conditioner and lotion at least in the bathroom - its been my experience that most spa hotels offer some of their products in travel size containers, but there were just wall mounted containers of "gel douche" and "shampooing" in the shower and "soap" and "lotion" by the sink - no conditioner, and no way of telling what quality of product you were getting - which is OK, just once again I wouldn't consider it "luxury". Also for a "luxury spa" that has rooms with tiled floors, in-floor heat along with complimentary robes and slippers in the room would be expected. Not that its always expected, but it is when you advertise luxury. To their credit these sorts of items usually come with a $200 a night room, so I believe this and many of the not so great reviews just stem from the expectations set up by the lodge's description of itself. Overall I thought the room was fine. The hot tub was a disappointment - the one by the pool was drained and the other one was very much out of chemical balance with cloudy water that smelled funny. And the biggest disappointment of all was dinner. Made a reservation at 7pm and ordered a steak. (Much of the menu was off limits for me because of food allergies, which I'm used to dealing with, but when I order a $28 steak I expect it to be GOOD.) The ribeye was flavorless and tough. And a staff member decided it appropriate to vacuum nearby while we were still finishing our meal. And yes, the TV's in the (hotel) rooms are unusually small. This isn't a problem for me personally, but I noticed some other reviews mentioning it and it does look a bit odd given there is ample wall space, and I've never seen that small of a TV in a hotel room before, and I've stayed in plenty. I spent my final afternoon there in the lobby taking care of some work, and for a day dumping down snow, I was a bit surprised the fireplace wasn't going. It was off-season, so maybe they were running on a skeleton crew, and no, owners before you jump on this review like I saw you did with others, I didn't actually ask someone to light it. Should I have needed to? At a luxury lodge on a snowy day? So in closing, I found it to be nice and even above average in most respects, but there are some things that definitely need attention if this lodge is to live up to its description as a luxury destination.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank kjf190
rc_hickman, Owner at Chalet View Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2012

We sure wish that this guest had stayed in one of our upgraded true spa rooms, if that is what they were looking for. We have attempted to please the business traveler as well as the resort guest with a wide array of room types. Thanks to this guest for commenting on the tv, we are in the process of replacing them with larger units. We are sorry about the fact that the fire wasn't going in the lobby all day long, we would have been happy to light it, and that the jacuzzi wasn't pristine, it usually is. The rib-eye steak is usually raved about and we would have been happy to cook another if we had known. In an effort to do our part ecologically we have replaced the individual plastic throw away amenities with more "green" dispensers. We hope that this review will not discourage other would be guests that are looking for more of a spa type experience: our day spa is typically highly rated. Bob and Carrie

Reviewed 16 October 2012

I was only able to stay here one night and wish I could have extended my stay! The room had a beautiful view of the pines and scenery. The decor was top notch. It appeared that every detail had been considered to make the rooms stylish yet comfortable. The staff was friendly and thoughtful. Also loved relaxing in the lounge near the fire with some fabulous wine. The owner gives the place a personal touch by talking with all of the guests. I'll definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business

It is so rewarding to receive reviews such as this. It was a pleasure to meet you, Jennifer, I had a great time talking with you and Oxanna. People like you make this a wonderful endeavor!

Reviewed 12 October 2012

Stayed here for two nights while enjoying a golf trip in the area. It is a great little place to stay just outside of Graeagle off the Feather river highway. It is a newer hotel with some nice ammenities including pool, spa, indoor/outdoor dining with a wood fired outdoor oven, and little pitch an putt golf course, rental bikes, volleyball court, a little lake with fire pit and spa. The units are very clean and quiet. The unit we stayed in was two story unit with very comfortable king bed and bath on the bottom floor with a sitting room up stairs. Not sure if this was a sofa bed or not. If so, nice for kids, but wouldn't advise for another couple since no additional bath room. As a tip if you like beer, make sure you take a trip to the Under Cover Ale works a short drive down the highway before the turn off to Graeagle. It's a hidden micro brew gem!

Room Tip: Seems like there are several different types of rooms to choose from including small cabins with kit...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2012

Great stay. Lovely place! Good food and great service. The staff and owners are responsive and welcoming. We enjoyed the golf and the horseshoes and the fire pit and the fishing pond. Beds were very comfortable and rooms were lovely!

Reviewed 4 October 2012

My husband and I spent two comfortable nights at the Lodge, which included an "extended" continental breakfast (French toast & waffles). The owner was very welcoming and cordial, and the few staff we met were at the ready to please. Casual evening dining on the patio was so relaxing, and food very good (spaghetti Bolognese and Caesar salad). We missed out on the brick oven pizzas but heard awesome reports on that. We highly recommend this lodging for its staff friendliness and very nice accommodations. Also, on the property are a short game golf course, horseshoes, bocce ball court, and fire pit by the pond with chairs and table for guests to use. It would make a perfect location for family gatherings with cabins on the property in addition to the main lodge..

Reviewed 3 October 2012

This place is great! My wife and I had a great time here. It is in a beautiful location, the room was clean, elegant and kept in great shape for guests. The entire property was very nice with many amenities and fun stuff to do. We didn't get a chance to eat dinner on the terrace, but it looked lovely. They even had a brick pizza oven which I'm sure cooks some great pizzas. Staff was friendly. I honestly have no complaints and I've already recommended to several people.

Room Tip: The suites are pretty sweet.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Graeagle
Nakoma Resort
#1 of 1 in Portola
High Country Inn
High Country Inn
#1 of 2 in Sierra City

Been to Chalet View Lodge? Share your experiences!