Chalet View Lodge
US$85
US$87
  • Free Internet
All reviewsgolf coursehot tubfeather riverterrace suitefire pitstarbucks coffeecontinental breakfastking bedbeautiful areaplay structuresmall pondmini vacationhard boiled eggszip linetwo storyyogurtbocce ball
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 December 2012

If you're looking for a warm and welcoming retreat in the foothills of the eastern Sierras, this is your place. Our daughter and her fiance had their wedding here this past weekend and we couldn't be more pleased with how the owners, Bob and Carrie Hickman, handled the event from beginning to end. You simply won't find more accommodating hosts than the Hickmans, and they were a very big part of the successful wedding we were part of on Saturday. Thank you again Bob and Carrie for all that you guys did for us to make this such a wonderful time for our entire family and our friends.

The main lodge is comfortable and cozy with a double sided fireplace which faces the front desk and the dining room/bar area which seats about 50 people. There is also a nice lounge area towards the back of the lodge that looks out onto the covered deck and pool area and there is an outdoor bar and wood fired pizza oven in the back as well. On Friday there were about 50 of us who stayed at the Lodge and they fired up the oven and we had a pizza party! I had never had wood fired pizza before and it was delicious. Of course there were 50 of us fighting over the pizza, but there was plenty to go around and there was an open salad bar to go along with the meal. Thanks to Chef Curt for putting this together for us.

Our room was perfect in every way. Our room was two stories with the king bed upstairs with a separate bathroom which had a large walk-in shower. Downstairs we had a hide-a-bed leather couch, fireplace, table and chairs, closet, large bathroom, microwave, refrigerator and coffee pot. The decor is knotty pine, slate floors and smooth plaster. Very deluxe accommodations for a small resort. This is all new construction (5 years old?) and there are a lot of extra things to do so you don't have to leave the property if you don't want to.

Eight of us went for a hike Saturday morning on one of the trails which led down to the Feather River which is about a half mile away. It was really full and cascading due to the recent storms, very spectacular. There is also an executive golf course, although the greens were frozen this time of year. The resort is at about 4,900 feet so it's pretty chilly here in December.

We held the wedding ceremony outside on the deck in front of the fireplace and Bob built a small platform for the participants to stand on. It was pretty brisk out there at 4:00 pm so we kept the ceremony brief and everyone just walked out and stood for the short period of the actual vows.

There are a lot more nice things I could say about the facilities and all there is to do at the resort, but the most important thing to me was the warm and welcoming attitude of Bob, Carrie and all of the staff there at the resort. Chef Curt did a wonderful job with the catering and I have to mention how well Michelle did as our bartender on Friday night at the pizza party. Good job everyone, we had a great time.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the terrace suites on the upper floor. It's just a few steps from the main lodge and very quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank OldWizer
Reviewed 12 December 2012

I just returned from the best weekend of my life at the Chalet View Lodge. The owners of this Lodge are two of the most caring and considerate people I have ever met. The rooms were incredibly comfortable and the showers were spotless. The service and employees were all fantastic. Every one of the employees that I interacted with was so polite and accommodating. This lodge is a great place for couples, and families because of the illustrious amounts of activities available. Not to mention there is a STARBUCKS in the lobby of the Chalet View Lodge!! All in all, great service, rooms, activities for all ages, I highly recommend the Chalet View Lodge to anyone who is looking for a fantastic place to stay and a great time!!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Travis S
Reviewed 11 December 2012

We flew in from Florida for a wedding. The images of the resort are not an accurate view of the place. It isn't nearly as pretty as the images, that being said we checked in. The floor in our room was covered in dirt so housekeeping came and swept. There were no places in the room to unpack things just an armour and two night stands one of which was broken. There is no storage or heat in the bathrooms so taking a shower was miserable. The food was awful the pizza was burned and due to the size of the crowd it was difficult to get it warm. The bar tender had no menu of drinks and could only give me an idea of what she knew how to make and then sent me off to find someone to bring her orange juice. The drink was horrible I went back to the room and flushed it down the drain. We took cold showers in the morning there was no hot water which completely upset us both. In the common area there was very little seating to accomodate the amount of people from the wedding party. The boys went to play golf then informed me that the course said nine hole on the brochure but it was more like six with the seventh hole unusable. I went to get coffee at the Starbucks Kiosk and waited 20 minutes while the one woman cleaned windows till finally someone came to the kiosk. The coffee is not up to Starucks standards as I am a Starbucks LOVER.
We were told it would be a outdoor casual wedding so dress comfortable and heaters would be provided. We wore jeans as instructed when the wedding started everyone was dressed in dressy evening attire, we were in jeans and coats and no heaters were provided I stood there shaking through out the nuptuals and then left to go back to the room. We were emabarrassed and humilliated it is pretty bad when a 13 year old is ashamed and wants to leave. At the reception we went upstairs to a dining area so to speak there were no names posted on the seats. I finally left and my boyfriend and his son stood there 20 minutes waiting for seating and finally said something they offered the son who is 13 a seat at the kiddy table at which point my boyfriend got indignant and told them we didn't fly across the United States to be treated like this, he is the brother of the groom. They finally made room for him and his son. He brought food to the room for me, which was awful and at that point we discussed the situation he was so upset he decided we would leave after the reception and head back to Nevada. I went for a walk to calm down and a women in a golf cart almost ran me over collecting chairs. I went back packed all our stuff loaded it in the car, he checked out and we left. The accomodations are terrible and so is the service and organization. The upside Reno's Nugget has awesome food and very clean accomodations with hot running water and places to unpack your belongings.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Kim A
Reviewed 20 November 2012

My wife and I stayed at the lodge oh back in late July of this year. We had a very nice stay. We had a room with a loft which was perfect for running my web company each day for a few hours. Great sunlit space up stairs with internet. The build in glass fridge, marble sink, tile floors and generous use of natural wood added a very warm and luxurious ambiance to our room. The towels were the thickest terry towels I have every used! I liked the bed, my wife found it to be soft. The rooms were quiet...no noise seeping through. They have a nice pool and spa area. Onsite small bar with very fair prices considering its onsite and the same for the small restaurant. The entire lodge uses much natural wood in its design as does the patio...very pretty. Nice outdoor wood fired pizza's and fireplace as well. They have horseshoe pits, a small pond with canoe (yup, took a paddle) and I think a bonfire pit with nice chairs out thar...we didn't take advantage of that. They have a mini Starbucks in the main lodge as well. My only complaints...I think they had new staff or its a new biz as a few service's were a little goofy. The main lodge was locked at 10 pm, the bar was not always staffed, the complimentary breakfast bar had ice frozen mini bagels and no pastries, and for us granola heads, no non dairy milk substitute. Pretty much all CA hotels offer soy milk. Now, they did grab some for me from the Starbucks counter and the buffet coffee was good. Pretty trivial things...we will be back. Its a very pretty place in a very beautiful area. The staff was very helpful BTW. Just not sure of a few things. I'm sure they smoothed these rough edges since we were there.
Oh, the wife did use the spa facility...she said it was the best facial massage service cleansing dealy bobber she ever had.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
rc_hickman, Owner at Chalet View Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2012

Love being called "swank" , puts us on par with the Ritz! Seriously, nice review that covers some things that others haven't like the facial. Kristie, our aesthetician is top notch. Thanks, Bob and Carrie

Reviewed 14 November 2012

I was married at the Twenty Mile house and almost all of my guest stayed at the Chalet View Lodge. My parents stayed in a cabin while others stayed in the lodge itself. Everyone loved their stay. Before the wedding I stopped by to see my parents and say hi before the big day and I loved the vibe you felt walking in. The staff were so nice and helpful while waiting in their lounge area, I overheard that they offer gold, fishing, kayaking, and they even have an outside pizza brick oven. I will be booking an all girls weekend here this coming up summer, I cant wait.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family