“Chalet View Chalet View Hotel - Graeagle, CA”
Review of Chalet View Lodge

Chalet View Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Graeagle
GreenLeadersGold level
Martinez, California
“Chalet View Chalet View Hotel - Graeagle, CA”
Reviewed 7 May 2013

If you are looking for a pleasant night's stay in a very clean comfortable well-designed room in a very beautiful area try the Chalet View. Our room had a comfortable bed, a gas fireplace, nice balcony, and upstairs with half bath, a couch, table and chairs and facilities for storing and heating food. We had dinner at the Grille Restaurant which I thought was good. The jacuzzi was under a tree so had some floating debris. Swimming pool was unheated so I stayed away. Continental breakfast was the usual fare. The golf course is well maintained I believe. I am not a golfer. Graeagle is in the gold country with lots of historical interest and places to see. It is close to the Railroad Museum at Portola, where for about $300.00 you can spend some time driving a locomotive. The scenery is well worth a trip Try Feather River Canyon and Hwy 49. Because of the economy not many visitors in the area which suited me just fine

Room Tip: Second floor overlooking gold course are choice rooms
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 30 April 2013

My husband, lab and I loved this secluded lodge, surrounded by national forest! The room was immaculate and modern, with a comfy bed and pillows. We couldn't believe this place has been around for 10 years - it looks like it was built yesterday. The hot tub was a great after-dinner treat for us daily. We were surrounded by terrific hiking and tons of lakes and streams - we could've explored for weeks. Really great family-friendly, dog-friendly place. Friendly staff, yummy food at the grill. We'd go back in a heartbeat. I would also recommend a trip to the brewery in the woods for a pint post-activity, just down the street: the Brewing Lair (or something like that). What a find!

Encinitas, California
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Our local Graegle friends recommended this lodge and it is centrally located between Portola and Graegle. We asked for a room with a view of the surrounding trees but our view was on the other side, looking at a parking lot. Room 315. The weather was cold and so was the room! In order to heat the room we had to turn on a window unit that ran constantly and noisily without a thermostat. The slate floor was attractive, but it literally was freezing on our feet. There were no extra blankets and the two are the bed were not enough to keep us warm, but we were too tired to ask for more. Only at checkout did the receptionist remark "we must have forgotten to turn on the floor heat for you" !!!! Our room did not have a microwave or mini-frig. We were offered another room, but by that time my husband was napping on the bed after a long drive. Be sure to request a room with these amenities if that is important to you. The adequate breakfast bar was acceptable, the on-site Starbuck's was very nice! The outdoor patio with an inviting fireplace would be great as the weather warms ups. We were offered two golf clubs and two balls for free to play on the nine hole course. There was a nice walk down to the Feather River and a playground for kids. The pool would be nice in summer. Bike rentals are $10 a day and lots of places to ride them. We will stay here again, but will make sure we get what we need!

Room Tip: Request a room away from Highway 70 and try a terrace room with a small balcony. MAKE SURE THE FLOOR...
1 Thank Anna M
Lake Tahoe (Nevada), Nevada
Reviewed 15 April 2013

The Chalet View Lodge is a really neat property staffed by very nice people. We stayed in a deluxe suite with a loft and really liked the decor (slate floors, walk-in shower, fireplace, fountain outside the door) and the amenities (fridge, microwave, wine (reasonably priced), wi-fi, two bathrooms and two televisions).

The property is very pretty with lots of nice gathering places, including an outdoor fireplace, a sparkling pool, hot tub, spa, and a library. It's very green, with walking trails, golf and lots of trees. There is a lot to do -- swimming, fishing, volleyball, bicycles, a playground and more. It's dog-friendly, and we saw well-behaved dogs everywhere. The owner's dog Prince was also in evidence and he is an adorable and friendly little guy.

The restaurant served a fantastic dinner with small plates, pizza and full dinners, and the food was special. If anyone had told me that I'd be doing backflips over Brussels sprouts I'd have accused them of smoking something. But the sprouts were off the charts -- crispy, savory and laced with a thick balsamic reduction.

We will definitely be back! That said, there are a couple of things that might be an issue for some people. There is some noise there, being close to the highway. I noticed it while on the balcony Friday night. It seemed much less apparent on Saturday. Didn't hear anything while in the room during the whole weekend, so I'd say that the building itself is well-insulated. If you're worried, there are some little cabin thingies and some rooms facing away from the road; you might want to request that.

Second, TV is very basic, which didn't bother us but might have if we'd been there during Wimbledon or something and wanted to watch. I can hook up HBO Go to my laptop if I want, and I might do that next time in case I want a movie or something at night.

Finally, it would have been great to get a massage after our strenuous but thrilling ATV tour, but they were apparently booked. We left a message but it wasn't returned. Next time, I'd probably reserve in advance to be sure of getting in.

My husband said this was the best weekend in a long time, and I agree. We'll return for an encore soon.

Room Tip: This would be an awesome location for a reunion, wedding or other gathering.
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed 13 April 2013

We stayed two nights here and were very pleased with our stay. I had found a deal online and decided to book it because we hadn't seen much of the area and wanted to go someplace new. We stayed in the terrace view suites, a two-story little place with a nice floorplan, a little deck, and a cozy fireplace. We were able to bring our black lab with us for a fee. There is a hot tub, horse shoe pit, and volleyball court - all outdoors. The continental breakfast was awesome and yummy. Dinner at the Grille was good too. The lodge backs up to a large open land park. The little town of Portolla is sleeping was very cute and qaint. We went to Lake Davis a little ways up the road. There is plenty to see and do nearby, including a neat train museum! We loved it here and didn't want to leave! Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Tiburon, California
Reviewed 11 April 2013

We are locals who had not dined at the Grille at Chalet View Lodge until last Sunday, April 7. The dining room is small and cozy right off the entry to the Lodge. We had an outstanding dinner. Our waiter was a lovely courteous woman who doubled as bartender. Chase, the chef, a Cordon Bleu graduate, made our dinners. Two rib eyes cooked to perfection, an excellent grilled halibut and rare ahi tuna with a wasabi sesame crust. The roast brussel sprouts appetizer with garlic and balsamic was terrific and even the folks who don't care for them said they were great. Nice bottle of reasonably priced wine from Sobon in the Sierra foothills and the whole experience was delicious and well paced. We'll go back.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
San Jose, California
Reviewed 28 March 2013

We had a good stay using a Travle Zoo discount. The room was spacious and very comfortable (details similar to what other reviewers experienced). The only advice I would give is to pick a season. We went after snow and before things turned green. Some roads to places we would have explored were still closed, hikes were a bit wet and without the green of spring, the area felt kind of gray all over. Area shops were closed and restaurants had limited hours. In winter, you'd probably have a blast in the snow (no real downhill as far as I could tell, but everything else is fairly close), and spring would offer great hiking and backroad exploration along with the use of the pool and other facility amenities. Overall a fine experience. Taking the dog was a plus, and I know I should have asked, but I was a bit shocked at the $25/night fee for an 8pound dog.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Graeagle
Nakoma Resort
#6 of 7 in Quincy
No photo provided
My Sisters Cottage
#4 of 6 in Sierra City

Been to Chalet View Lodge? Share your experiences!