“Great for Pets and Family”
Review of Chalet View Lodge

Chalet View Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Graeagle
GreenLeadersGold level
Benicia
“Great for Pets and Family”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Looking to bring the kids, pets and golf clubs for a get-a-way? This property
has many amenities included in the price. Swimming pool, hot tubs, basketball,
pitch and put nine hole course, volleyball and more. A wide range of rooms from
standard to free-standing cabins and some suites and villas.

They brew their own beer, in small batches, and there is a small Starbucks on the property.
Continental breakfast is also included in the price.

The property is closer to Portola than Graeagle.

Room Tip: Our room was not air conditioned. The weather tends to cool at night which is great when the weath...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BeniciaPatMS
chaletviewlodge, Owner at Chalet View Lodge, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are so glad that you appreciated all of the amenities on the property and that you enjoyed your stay. We hope you will choose to come visit us again.

Carrie& Bob Hickman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Creswick, Australia
Reviewed 16 June 2014

A great out of town spot for the car club's annual re-union. We were able to use the terrace , pizza oven was fired up and chef and staff did a great job of looking after us all.Weather was great with sunny skies. Do not know what it would be like in winter but then I am home with the fire anyway. Handy spot for datys trips to surrounding areas. Very pleasant stay

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We loved hosting your group, meeting all of the great people and seeing all of the beautiful cars! We hope you will come stay with us again.

Chico, United States
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We hosted the West Coast Lancia Reunion at the Chalet View Lodge at the end of May, 2014. Carrie Hickman, the Sales Manager, was wonderful to work with in orchestrating accommodations for the event. Our accommodations were excellent! The lush green grounds of the lodge provided a beautiful backdrop for photo shots of our classic automobiles. The staff were friendly, welcoming and helpful with all of our specific needs to make our event successful. Kevin Reese catered our meals for the event and did an exceptional job with cleansing our palates. We hope to repeat the experience again in the future. Vicki Tullius, Chico, Calif

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your wonderful review. I really enjoyed working with you, what a great group of people! I do hope we have the chance to work together again in the near future!

Carrie Hickman
Sacramento
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

This was my second stay at Chalet View. It will be my last.
Let's start with my first stay in winter 2012. Chalet View was recommended to my by a friend and local resident whom had never stayed there (and never will). I arrived late on a very cold and snowy night. I had cabin #5. The only heat that it had was a portable wall heater. It wasn't even warm enough standing right up against it. It was the worst night of my life (in a hotel room). I literally froze all night. My bottle of water was frozen solid sitting on the nightstand. My friend came to see me and told me to complain. I decided instead that I would never be back. That was my intention.
Now for stay #2, nights of June 6-7, 2014. I wanted to stay in Quincy and have never had trouble getting a room without a reservation. But this weekend was a busy one with 2 events and a funeral; no rooms at all. I had flown in from Hawaii the night before (San Francisco) and was on my way home via the 395. I was exhausted and didn't feel it would be safe to drive any further, so decided to give Chalet View a chance to redeem themselves. Night one was fine. I slept well in a comfortable bed. It was quiet and peaceful, except for the killer mosquitoes which have the worst bite I've ever seen. But then came morning. I was only going to stay the one night, but the next morning found me so tired (it was day 18 of a 20 day vacation) that I thought that I might stay 1 more night. At 9am I'm still in my nighty, laying on my bed reading with the curtain slightly open for light, when I have two people not only knocking on my door (glass) but peering in to see if I've left! I opened it and it was the owners asking if they could change out my end tables. It had to be done right then. So, here I am standing there in my pajamas with my door wide open and strange people (men) rearranging my furniture. Better planning could have avoided such a rude intrusion. Two nightstands are not worth losing a customer. I decided to get up and shower. The shower was set up without any thought or logic. It was a corner shower without walls, just a little curb to step over. The curtain rail was rustic pipes with joints made out of large rustic metal nuts. The curtain was held up with hooks. The water was a 'rain' shower. I couldn't get out of the water because it comes straight down from the ceiling. As soon as I tried to shut the curtain, the hooks 'hooked' on the nuts and the whole thing came down on me. Hooks fell all over the floor. I was able to rehang it by a few hooks that stayed attached. It felt like getting attacked! The curtain needed rings, not hooks. That should have been common sense. I was angry and went to the office and said that I had hoped to stay one more night but if they didn't do something substantial for the trouble, then I'd be moving on. They put me in a suite for the same price as the room I had been in, minus 10%. That's nothing close to substantial but the new room was nice and had a pretty view.
All went well (except for the Mosquitos of death) until about 30 minutes after I checked out. I realized that I forgot to go back up to my room to get a small bag of souvenirs from Kauai. I have a picture of it sitting on the
floor. I usually take pictures of my rooms. I couldn't quite carry it when I loaded up my car, but it was ok because I always go back to check to see if I forgot anything. Well, I forgot to go back up. I was almost to Reno when I remembered.
I got home on Monday evening. I called Tuesday morning. The lady that answered the phone said that they would hold my bag for me until my friend could come by to pick it up. He went by the same day. It wasn't there. He went back the next day. Still not there. He called today. Still no sign of it. It was obviously not trash. It had brand new items in it and I paid at least $60.00 for its contents. It was stolen. Plain and simple.
Guests comfort and trust are not important at Chalet View. I could not have been more disappointed.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank MaryAnnP56
chaletviewlodge, Owner at Chalet View Lodge, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
We were bewildered last night when our neighbor Rick came by the front desk with multiple gifts for us apologizing for his "crazy" friend that wrote a horrible review.

If we had been aware that she was cold in the cabin, we would have happily brought multiple heaters to warm her cabin, but she never let the front desk know.

We apologized profusely for interrupting her but her door was open, blinds open and no "do not disturb" sign. This was a very unusual circumstance that has never happened before and will never happen again. We offered to compensate her in many ways for the inconvenience. She assured us everything was fine. When she had difficulty with the shower that has been used by hundreds of guests before her with never a complaint ,housekeeping changed it immediately we moved her to our most expensive suite at no additional charge. She was very happy and claimed to "love" the suite.

We never heard anything about the bag that she left in the room. We do our very best to return items left behind to their owners, but are very clear on our sign in sheet as most hotels are that we cannot be responsible for items left behind.

We strive to exceed every guest's expectations and try to always go above and beyond to ensure that every person we host leaves extremely happy. We absolutly do care very much about guests comfort and trust. We are very disapointed and dismayed that her experience was so awful and that she was so dishonest with us so we could not remedy the issues completely for her. As she was leaving I bought a Starbucks beverage for her, again apologizing and she thanked me, gave me a hug and drove away.
Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I wasn't quite sure what to expect after I booked the room, but believe me I was pleasantly surprised when we arrived. This lodge is set on a spacious tract of land and is very rustic, but outfitted with the most modern conveniences.

Check in was quick and easy, the staff was very helpful and friendly. Our room was super, with a second bed in a loft area above the main room. We had a good nights rest, after a nice meal in the restaurant ( very reasonable prices and generous portions). I wish we could have spent another night, just to have explored the grounds and dining options a little more. (It was a little cool and breezy to utilize the outdoor dining area) The staff told me they book solid during the busy vacation season, and I can see why.

The continental breakfast was well-stocked, with a wide variety of choices to get you on your way.

We would stay there again, and readily recommend this wonderful lodge to others.

Room Tip: I'm not sure how the other rooms are laid out, but ours was on the backside away from the main r...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
chaletviewlodge, Owner at Chalet View Lodge, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
We are so happy to hear that you were pleasantly surprised. Thank you for appreciating our property and taking the time to share your experience. We are glad to hear you will plan on returning to our lodge and look forward to hosting you again!

Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I wish we had arrived a bit earlier in the day to enable us to enjoy sitting on their patio and taking in the wonderful aroma of fresh mountain air scented with pine. This is a lovely place. My friend had a room in the main hotel and I was on an end unit with a loft in a second building. She asked if I had heard the two trains in the middle of the night. No, actually I slept so soundly I didn't hear a thing. There was the occasional critter on the roof. The bedding was very luxurious. One complaint is that the room had spider webs on things that had not been moved in a while. I loved the Starbucks coffee in the room. The breakfast did have cold hard boiled eggs and yogurt for protein, the basic English muffins or toast. No pastries. Fruit and cereal, coffee and juice. There are two spas on the property but I didn't get to try it. Also, it appears there is a golf course on the property.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
We are so glad you enjoyed your getaway in the serene setting. Thank you for letting us know about the spider webs so that we can advise housekeeping that they need to spend more time in that area. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and hope you will return in the near future.

Susan_ikt
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Our friend recommended this lodge as a place to stay for a quick overnight trip, and we were completely and pleasantly surprised by the wonderful accommodations. We have visited the area many times, staying at the Lodge at Whitehawk and villas at Nakoma (dragon course). I just did not expect that this lodge would rate as highly as those properties. But it certainly did for us. It was very clean, nicely appointed, the bath was great, and all the staff extremely friendly and accommodating. We had packed a picnic dinner, and they were very helpful in ensuring we had all that we needed to relax and enjoy our dinner. I would certainly recommend this location for a romantic several night getaway to the beautiful Plumas area!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Susan_ikt
We are so glad you found us on your last visit to the area and that we exceeded your expectations!
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and we are happy to hear that you appreciated our wonderful staff. We hope to host you again.

Carrie & Bob Hickman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Graeagle
Nakoma Resort
Lake Davis Resort, Cabins & Motel
No photo provided
My Sisters Cottage
#3 of 5 in Sierra City

Been to Chalet View Lodge? Share your experiences!