“Beautiful, relaxing, great stay!”
Review of Chalet View Lodge

Chalet View Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Graeagle
GreenLeadersGold level
“Beautiful, relaxing, great stay!”
Reviewed 31 July 2010

We found this place online, stayed three nights, and loved it! The service was great, the breakfast was wonderful with French toast, eggs, cereal, oatmeal, fruit, and much more, and the rooms were nice. The room had air conditioning, a great view, spacious bathrooms, and a short walk to the hot tub/pool.

1 Thank Jamminjaw

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
El Dorado Hills, California
Reviewed 17 July 2010

As a business traveler, I am always hesitant to select lodging in outlying areas such as Portola. Well what a surprise we found at the Chalet View Lodge!! I was a little leery when I saw the photos on the website, thinking, well you can always make a photo look nice. Not only was it just as it was depicted, but the atmosphere was fantastic. The owners and the people who work there are truly nice people and make you feel so welcome! The amenities, from the rooms, bedding, linens, to the dining, golf, bocce ball, and continental breakfast are great! Even the other guests at the property were so friendly. I attribute that to the relaxed and charming feel that this resort has to offer. I look forward to another stay, and hopefully for a longer period of time!! And for you pet lovers, they allow dogs on the property, yet it still remains very clean and tidy. Can't wait to return! J. Dover

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
San Jose, California
Reviewed 16 July 2010

I love nature but i do tend to have trouble living in it. Gross bathrooms, being dirty, bugs etc make the idea of camping less than ideal but the Chalet View Lodge is a PERFECT happy medium. The wood cabins are adorable, comfortable and clean. Weekend trips can feel like work for the "homemaker types" but the cleaning service really made it easy to relax. A lot of times when I think about being in the woods, I go straight to the typical stereotype of beer and guns but looking around the courtesy breakfast on the Chalet's patio, I saw very well mannered guests reading the NY times, their Kindle or quietly conversing with company. During the day you have more than enough to do. The hiking is incredible for any level--moderate to advanced. The golf course is convenient, the swimming pool and hot tub are great and after all that--you work up an appetite you have the option of grilling (charcoal provided) or going up to the patio for a great dinner (BYOB). We had a campfire completely to ourselves by the pond (firewood included) where we were able to drink wine and look at the most stars I have ever seen. The owners, Bob and Carrie remind me of European hosts--So outgoing and truly want you to experience what they believe is the most beautiful place in the world.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
San Diego, California
Reviewed 3 July 2010

upon arrivel i was coming into the hotel late in the evening. thier was noone thier to help me at the front desk the door was locked. to my surprise. on the front door tapped inside an evelop and tapped to the door were my room keys! what hotel in thier right mind does this? they ewre just hanging out thier for everyone to see with the room number on them.

the hotel rooms were awfull, no hot water, no phone books in the rooms, god for bid considering thier out in the middle og no mans land.the tv was broke, the a/c could cool down the room and on top of it all the damn room key barley worked, it took me 5 tries to get the damn room door open.

the rooms were poorly constructed, you could tell the ceiling had water leeks and a bad patch job was done.

i tried talking to the owners but apparently you the customer are not good enough for them to call you back.

a six hole golf course what the hell is that all about? who in thier right or left mind builds a six hole golf course? tried getting room service but the menu that was in the room was totally different from what they were actually serving.

i wouldn't let prisioners or my dog stay at this place. stay away very far away from that dump.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank whatever167
Oakland, CA
Reviewed 2 July 2010

We had such a lovely stay at Chalet View Lodge that we decided to turn our 4 night stay into 7 nights. The two bedroom cabins were just perfect for us, our 2 kids, and 2 dogs. It was nicely designed and furnished comfortably. We thoroughly enjoyed the grounds -- hot tub, pool, golf course, play structure, volleyball court, trout pond, and horseshoe pit. Our dogs loved daily walks to the Feather River, which is a nice stroll through the pines and mule ears and the kids loved the breakfast buffet.

Bob and Carrie, the owners, take great pride in the beautiful destination they have created, yet they are very friendly and accomodating. We are already looking forward to our next vacation in this beautiful area of California!

• Stayed June 2010
2 Thank EAConnolly
SF Bay area
Reviewed 8 June 2010

The setting is fantastic, and the grounds are also fantastic, but beginning with the rinky-dinky map they give you (perhaps pay a local artist a few dollars to draw the rooms, cabins, roads, trails and facilities on a single map?), you can see how everything has been somewhat cheaply built out. When i visited last summer, there were constant leaks in the new suite that we visited. The walls were incredibly thin in the units. Then there's the room finishings - the most over heated cheap lil fridge and poorest quality cheapest flat screens that can be had at a mega store. Same for the clock radios, too hard foam pillows, etc. So while there is an air of fancy in the tiled floor rooms, everything was built and finished as cheaply as possible. Still, the setting is just fantastic, the people who work there are wonderful, and the rooms just fine.

I just wish that owners and managers would know that when they are charging top dollar for such a wonderful destination, they should build and furnish their property accordingly.

Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank perseus9
Pacific Palisades, Ca.
Reviewed 7 June 2010

When I stay at hotels in this price range I usually brace myself but I was shocked---in a good way when I arrived. The staff was friendly and professional and the rooms were what you'd expect to find at a mountain resort that charges twice the rate I paid . We hiked by a serene nearby lake, golfed and went to Lake Tahoe (a beautiful one hour drive). It's so nice to stay at a place where the owners are genuinely interested in making sure you have an enjoyable visit. My only mistake was not staying longer.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank localwest
Also consider these accommodations in or near Graeagle
Nakoma Resort
Lake Davis Resort, Cabins & Motel
No photo provided
My Sisters Cottage
#3 of 5 in Sierra City

Been to Chalet View Lodge? Share your experiences!