“Gold in Gold Rush Country!”
Review of Holbrooke Hotel

Holbrooke Hotel
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Grass Valley
BluEmu1
“Gold in Gold Rush Country!”
Reviewed 10 October 2012

After attending a jazz and dinner at one of the local wineries we decided rather than to drive home it would be wiser to stay "in town" at one of the hotels. Since we weren't ready to go to our room we hung out a bit in the very happening bar where an awesome female singer was playing the keyboard and wailing out great songs. The accompanying brass players were terrific also. But you are reading this to find out about the hotel, aren't you?
The hotel is located on the main drag. The rooms in the main building are large and very nice. The bathrooms are pretty cool too. (We know this because the day after we stayed here we asked if we could take a peek at a few of the rooms in the main building.) If you stay in the front of the hotel it might be a little noisy on the weekends where there is quite a bit of action on the street below and in the hotel's bar. We stayed in the building in the back of the hotel. Our room was nice, not quite as nice as the rooms in the hotel, but it was very quiet. We enjoyed a continental breakfast that was included in the price of the hotel. If the weather is nice you can sit outside in the patio. Lunch and dinner are good here. The staff is very welcoming, from Chris in reception to Monte in the bar. This is a fun place to stay since it is a historic property. Presidents James Garfield, Ulysses S. Grant, and Benjamin Harrison and Mark Twain are a few of the well known people who slept here. You can see quite a few artifacts from earlier times when this town was really hopping. While we don't always stay overnight in Grass Valley, we always do make a stop at the Holbrooke. We like the hotel, the ambiance, the friendly bar, the welcoming staff, the cool town, and the town's proximity to local wineries and to the Lake Tahoe area. It's all good!

Room Tip: If you want to go to bed early and/or are there on a weekend ask for a quieter room either on the si...
1 Thank BluEmu1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Friday Harbor, Washington
Reviewed 4 October 2012

This hotel was fabulous - everything I'd imagined and more. Along with all of the historic significance of the Gold Rush era, the place is really lots of fun. My sweetie and I were in town for the Celtic Festival and opted to splurge for two nights in a hotel rather than camping out at the fairgrounds. When I saw that Mark Twain had actually stayed there, along with two U.S. Presidents, I couldn't resist. We arrived after midnight, and Mike was there to settle us into our room, even though someone had forgotten to put our reservation into their book. Our room was spacious and actually upgraded from the Queen-size we had reserved to a King-size, with a lovely huge old-style tiled bathroom and claw foot tub/shower combo. The toilet was a period piece - would love to have one at home! The ceiling fan was heavenly, though it went out when we turned out the light. We felt pampered and on holiday... the fact that the hotel was so old... with all the authentic creaky floors and old individual locking doors was charming. Over all, the room was wonderful, at the end of the hall with easy access to the back stairs outside to the picturesque smoking area for my sweetie. We enjoyed a drink at the saloon downstairs, as well as an evening of live bluegrass music from the attached lounge where we had dinner. When we had an emergency late on Friday night (my brother who lives locally had his truck stolen from a parking lot several blocks away) the hotel staff was courteous and helpful in calling the police. I loved this place, and can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Our upstairs back corner room was large and quiet for the most part, but some people might not like...
2 Thank tsduff
Tombstone, Arizona
Reviewed 24 September 2012

It had been many years (about 20) since I visited the Gold Rush town of Grass Valley, but I recently made an all-too-brief overnight stop there. In past years when touring this part of California's "Gold Country" I had stayed at the National Hotel in Nevada City, but after reading some of the recent reviews on Tripadvisor I decided that things had changed with the National since I stayed there 20 years ago and opted for Grass Valley's Holbrooke Hotel. I am pleased to report that I made a wise choice. What a wonderful old, historic hotel this is! Beautifully appointed with a great staff and owner, I found the Holbrooke to be just what a historic hotel and California Historical Landmark should be. A great saloon with an original (well "almost" original after the various fires that marred the city during its heyday) back bar. They say that it is the oldest continuously operating saloon west of the Mississippi. With its nicely restored rooms, this hotel (built originally in 1851) is a wonderful addition to the many historic hotels that dot California's "Gold Country" just off of Highway 49. It has played host to many notables over the years including Lola Montez and several U.S. Presidents.

Seems to have a good restaurant too, although my stomach operation precludes me from having large meals I tried their Tempura Vegetable Platter. It was excellent but HUGE for my shrunken stomach. They kindly kept it on ice for me in the kitchen and the next day put it in a “Doggie Box” so I could take it home with me. I had several more meals out of it! The dining room is nice and it also has an outdoor patio in the back which is a very pleasant place to sip a glass of wine or have a meal on the many warm days that characterize the Sierra foothills during the summer months.

I learned from chatting with Ian, the owner of the hotel that my room (#9) is the hotel’s most “haunted” room, but I had no problems and if there is a ghost, it’s one of the “good” ones. I thought the room was excellent. Purists may object to the television, but it’s neatly hidden in an old commode so you can just close the doors of the commode and not see the TV at all. The bathroom has a claw foot tub equipped with a shower and wraparound curtain. Since there is no place to put the soap and no bars to hang on to I opted for the tub.

Although a bit pricier than some of the other hotels I’ve stayed at, I certainly highly recommend your trying out this one!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Antioch, California
Reviewed 4 September 2012

If you enjoy history, but don't want to live it too realistically, then the Holbrooke Hotel in Grass Valley is for you. In the Gold Country of the Sierra Nevada Foothills, Grass Valley and nearby Nevada City offer glimpses into the California Gold Rush of the 1850s and the Holbrooke offers an authentic air of that time, but with enough modern amenities (such as air conditioning) that you can be comfortable. An excellent restaurant and live music at the bar add to the experience.

But don't expect such modern conveniences as gyms and pools -- it's pretty authentic!

Easy walking to antique shops and more restaurants make it a perfect location for exploring the town and easy access to highways 20 and 49 let you easily explore the entire area.

The staff are exceeding friendly and helpful without hovering or anything: they're there when you want them and gone when you don't.

Also, rooms were available Labor Day Weekend, which is unusual.

Awesome place. This was our second trip and definitely not our last.

Room Tip: The front rooms are quieter and nicer, but we had no trouble sleeping in the back right over the air...
Susanville, Ca.
Reviewed 25 July 2012

From the moment I called, I knew I was going to enjoy my stay. The young man who answered my call was very pleasant and helpful. When we arrived the evening staff was just as helpful and pleasant.

We ate at the hotel and enjoyed the food. My chicken was a little dry but everthing else was very good.

We stated in Room #9 and did a little ghost hunting. We found it interesting that every time we mentioned Black Bart, the room suddenly got cold. We also have what we believe is bonafide audio recording. We audio taped our questions for about 25 minutes and I asked the ghosts if they can see us and we believe we have a "no" on the audio.

We were very happy with our stay, and with our little ghost hunting time.

With regards to the staff . . . As I was leaving the young man at the front desk was helping an elderly man with tracking down getting a new transmission. To me, that's above and beyond customer service.

Room Tip: Room #9 is haunted but right next to the outside dining.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank luvmysteries
sacramento
Reviewed 24 July 2012

To start this off... we must mention Theresa and Chris at the front desk. Both were amazing and they were the definition of GUEST service. Hard to find good employees these days that truly care about your experience, and we believe they do. With that said, do not expect the 4 Seasons. This is an old historic hotel with creaks and that wonderful musty smell. The staff do everything they can to provide a clean room. Being management of a hotel ourselves, we are probably a bit more picky than the normal traveller. We were very impressed with the level or service. There was live music nightly in the bar. We had read a few reviews of it being very noisy, but surprisingly we could not hear any of it from our room. One of the nights the owner of the hotel himself played with another member of The Regulators and we were blown away. (Even bought a CD) If you ever travel to Grass Valley make sure to check out the Holbrooke Hotel and Ian & Steve from The Regulators. They had a nice breakfast in the morning but watch out for the waffle maker.... Or just ask Chris for help. :)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
costa rica
Reviewed 23 July 2012

This is an interesting hotel to visit at it is historic but I wouldn't recommend staying the night. We arrived in the evening and they only had one young girl at reception who was very nice but we were a big group with lots of luggage so there wasn't much help she could offer us. One of our rooms looked out to the garbage dump in the parking lot and we were all woken up at 6am by the garbage trucks going by the windows. The breakfast they offer is also very poor.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family

Best Western Golden Key
Sierra Mountain Inn
Sierra Mountain Inn
#2 of 10 in Grass Valley

Been to Holbrooke Hotel? Share your experiences!